Well my lovely PCX is no more. Rear ended at a stop light.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Prehistoric_Dog
Year: 2015
Color: red

Well my lovely PCX is no more. Rear ended at a stop light.

Post by Prehistoric_Dog »

What a nightmare, Ambulance ride to the hospital with a broken leg and shoulder. Been off work for three months now. The only up side is that I just took delivery of my new Forza 125 in matt white (looks like something a storm trooper would ride). Funny thing is I wanted to by a bigger bike and my wife convinced me a scooter is better and safer for my daily ride to work. I guess there is no safe two wheeler when other road users drive and text.
Mario
Regular User
Regular User
Color: White

Re: Well my lovely PCX is no more. Rear ended at a stop ligh

Post by Mario »

Thats a bummer!! what happened?
May the Forza be with you!!
Prehistoric_Dog

I was on my way to work and the road was having some repairs with a contraflow set up. Stoped at the red light and two seconds later a car hit me with out braking. He was going at about 35 M/ph or 60 Km/h. My guess is he was messing with his phone. Claims not to have seen me or the red light so god knows what he was doing. Bloody hurt I can tell you.
Mario
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Mario »

I am sorry to hear that!! and good luck with your recovery.
May the Forza be with you!!
Seph
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Red

Post by Seph »

Glad to hear you're OK. Sorry to hear about the accident. Hope you mend well.
Seph

Yamaha YBR 2011 Silver (MGE AKA Madge)
Honda PCX 2015 Red (A.K.A Fonda) *Deceased*
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Yeek. Recover well. in those situations where someone "did not see" the rider, bike, red light, and so on, what they are really saying is that they were not paying attention. That he was going slow enough that you were not killed outright is, I suppose, a blessing of sorts. I know it's easy to be distracted, but if one is behind the wheel of a vehicle that ways thousands of pounds, paying attention is tantamount.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
Honda cub
Color: white

Post by Honda cub »

So sorry to hear this. Hope you get well soon and recover fully from your injuries. Unfortunately this is all too common these days. This is now the third incident I've heard concerning a car driver driving into the back of a stopped motorcycle/scooter within the last few months alone. Be careful out there everyone, there are a lot of t*ts behind the wheel of cars these days.

Stephen
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

This is very hard to hear and something so helpless. You can navigate just about every potential situation and only have yourself to blame if you are not quick enough or paying attention to the zombies is how I think and ride, but sitting at a stop light wondering if the guy in the rearview sees you is powerless. Sad to read this today, how did your gear hold up?
Attachments
mac&chief3.jpg
mac&chief3.jpg (9.1 KiB) Viewed 3292 times
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

About 10 years ago my wife was in her car, stopped behind a school bus that was letting children off, red lights flashing, etc. when she was rearended by a woman who told the cop that she didn't see her or the school bus. My wife's car had 5 brake lights, and the school bus...well it was big and flashing. How can anyone NOT see it!? Some people just don't need to be driving. If text messages are so important that they need immediate attention, pull over! Yet, ever day I see people texting while driving. The insurance rates in our area have more than doubled in the last couple of years because of the number of accidents caused by inattentive drivers. The new thing around here is big big SUVs for wifes with 1 or 2 kids. Instead of fixing the problem of inattention, husbands are buying the inattentive wifes bigger vehicles so that they won't be the ones injuried when they have their next accident. That doesn't give those of us on 2 wheels a good feeling.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
Prehistoric_Dog

My gear held up well. The bike was a complete wreck, as was the perps car, my helmet did it's job and cracked preventing my skull from doing the cracking. clothes protected my from road rash so just the two impact breaks and a whip lash from hell. Hope you all are going to have a fantastic weekend.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Well PDog, this is not what I expected to read when I logged on this afternoon. Not good, not good at all.
I like your attitude though, yer ready to ride again. I think the PCX is a smart move at this time (my opinion).

Story: I have a friend who is going through some trauma after being walloped in the rear of his Toyota RAV4. The vehicle was considered totaled and now a new Suburu Forester resides in his driveway. In the garage is a beautiful Kymco 300. Amazingly he's totally fine. Not a scratch, bruise or broken bone! Thank God. Ah but....fear moved in. This happened a few months ago.

Point is: it was scary getting behind the Wheel and back in the Saddle again....but it's happening. There's Nothing wrong with reflecting on what happened, learning from the experience, while in the process gaining some lost confidence. We'll be riding together by fall. I'm strategically working on that ;) Rides by the beach and shore are so relaxing. How can anyone say no? :P

Sorry to go off into StoryBookLand, I'm hoping you do what's best for "You." Heal thoroughly, choose your ride and rider as safe as you can. WN ;)

Screw You Folks that Text and Drive!! Eyes Up! Pay Attention! We Are Everywhere! Obey the Laws!
We Wanna Live, and Live We Must to Ride

Note: Yes, I did post this in your other performance thread as well. You are not imagining things :D
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Bad enough when that happens at slow speed, but for the driver to go into the back of you at speed - scary. Sorry to hear you came out of it with broken bones, but glad that was all.
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Good grief! I'm not positioning trucks and busses behind me, changing lanes. We are going to have to assume everyone behind us is texting when approaching our stops. Pick the vehicle behind you with caution, preferably a late model low profile auto insured to the hilt.

Well that's the second one in a week... one more to go. hope its not me
Bash On!
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Bash On! »

Mel46 wrote:The new thing around here is big big SUVs for wifes with 1 or 2 kids. Instead of fixing the problem of inattention, husbands are buying the inattentive wifes bigger vehicles so that they won't be the ones injuried when they have their next accident. That doesn't give those of us on 2 wheels a good feeling.
Big SUVs are especially popular here in Dallas (the Suburban and Tahoe plant is nearby; Texas is the largest market for them). I think many big SUV drivers (both genders) have issues driving these large things even when they're not distracted. My wife is one of those drivers (sans big SUV), sadly.

As a result, I'm always looking in the mirror at lights and have an escape path mapped if it looks like somebody is not stopping. That's why it's a good idea to keep a manual transmission bike in gear while stopped (we had this discussion recently).

Best,
Bash "They're all out to get you." On
2013 PCX 150 [now an ex-bike, soon to be consigned to the bottom line of the sig]
2013 Silver Wing ABS (Black)
1971 BMW R75/5 (White)
Too many ex-bikes to list, and, besides, who really cares what we used to own?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I feel your pain. Literally. The same thing happened to me in 2002 in Sarasota Florida. Stopped at a stoplight 10 AM in the morning got hit at 40 miles an hour. 1 artificial hip later.....

And thats why I have gone to mounting a license plate Strobe on the PCX and always watching my mirrors now…....

Get a good lawyer, you have money coming…
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Valiant
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Valiant »

Prehistoric_Dog wrote:My gear held up well. The bike was a complete wreck, as was the perps car, my helmet did it's job and cracked preventing my skull from doing the cracking. clothes protected my from road rash so just the two impact breaks and a whip lash from hell. Hope you all are going to have a fantastic weekend.
Please tell me the twat is paying your medical bills.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

We live in a quiet subdivision off of a main road. Another main road crosses it one block away. We hear sirens almost constantly from early morning till after nightfall. It seems likeauto accidents are the norm around here during normal business hours. Every one of our neighbors tell us that they fear for us when we go out for rides. It is a wonder any bike rider would want to venture into this 'crash derby' around here. Every driver in this area seems to believe that they are privileged and can use their car as an office if they want to, which means less attention to the road. All we can do as bike riders is be more alert than they are. There have been quite a few of us who have almost become road kill because of inattentive drivers. I wish there were a way that we could flag the police to let them know which drivers are not paying attention to the road.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: Black

Post by honkerman »

Bash On! wrote:
As a result, I'm always looking in the mirror at lights and have an escape path mapped if it looks like somebody is not stopping. That's why it's a good idea to keep a manual transmission bike in gear while stopped (we had this discussion recently).

Best,
Bash "They're all out to get you." On
Yep. I learned early on to never be directly behind the vehicle in front of me when at a light and keep watching my mirrors for oncoming idiots behind. This was after a friend got hit from behind by a teenaged girl in a Jeep on his little Honda Metropolitan. She also "did not see" him.

Y'know, they give me all sorts of grief and a background check and such just to buy a firearm to go hunting...yet they'll give a license to anybody who passes a test about how much alcohol you have to drink to drive drunk...and they wonder why car accidents are one of the leading causes of death in the world.

**The above is intended as morbid humor, not a political statement!**
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
homie
Prestige
Prestige

Post by homie »

Prehistoric_Dog wrote:I just took delivery of my new Forza 125 in matt white (looks like something a storm trooper would ride).
wait... what! lets have a look at this sometime please. I remember some time back these where coming out
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ Whoops, then I stand corrected.
Instead of this: "....I think the PCX is a smart move at this time"
Let it be This: "....I think the 125 FORZA is a smart move at this time" :D

That's one beautiful looking scoot, one that we do Not have the option to buy here in the U.S.
So,...that's Very cool Dog! 8)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You