PCX vs Piaggio Medley review, now on SLUK

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Re: PCX vs Piaggio Medley review, now on SLUK

Post by Sticky »

gn2 wrote:
Sticky wrote:here's the evidence of what I say. http://www.bikesafer.com/abs.html
1992?
Ancient history.
Got anything more recent?
Sorry GN2, don't have time to argue a moot point.

Humans can't out-brake a motorcycle ABS system, that's what you are conclusively saying right?

OK, have it your way. You are clearly combative so why don't we call you the winner and then we can move on. Life's too short...
www.scooterlab.uk
Author of Frankenstein Scooters to Dracula's Castle and the Complete Spanner's Workshop Manual for Lambretta Scooters
Purveyor of 'journalistic hysteria'
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A human cannot react as fast as ABS can.
ABS is now mandatory above 250 and becoming more prevalent on 125s.
It isn't being fitted to increase braking distances.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The only comment that I can add is that at least you have a requirement for younger riders to learn before jumping on a motorized bike of any sort. Where I live, if you buy a scooter with less than 50cc engine, you don't even need a license at all. Thus, kids in high school and drunks who had their license taken away can pick up one of the 49cc scooters and ride in the public streets. There have been a few deaths from young riders who not only do not know how to rider, but they did not have to take a test of any sort to get on the public streets. Can you imagine driving along in your car at say 45 mph, coming around a curve and there is a little 49cc scooter trying to climb the incline in front of you at 30 mph, full throttle. Or, like in one case we had, it is raining and you are coming up to a stop sign that is 25 - 30 feet in front of you. All of a sudden this scooter, going to fast in the turn, finds its way up under your car sideways. Who, in their right mind, decided that anything under 50cc's was OK on the main roads with all of the big trucks, SUVs, and fast cars?!
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers

Post by Sticky »

gn2 wrote:A human cannot react as fast as ABS can.
ABS is now mandatory above 250 and becoming more prevalent on 125s.
It isn't being fitted to increase braking distances.
I agree with ABS, I think it's a good thing and recommend it in the video.

I also said you win just to shut you up, but you don't have the good grace to accept that and move on. Met your type on many forums before, battling to the death with the keyboard to win an argument.

Your point was that a human can never beat ABS. My point was that a talented human can, in dry conditions stop faster.

44Teeth agree http://44teeth.com/abs-help-hindrance/
(ABS is) guff under heavy braking on a circuit.
Please explain how you think ABS, which compares inputs from 2 wheel speed sensors, will cope with this situation? Is the rear wheel sensor giving reliable data to the ECU about the speed of the bike when the wheel is in the air?

www.scooterlab.uk
Author of Frankenstein Scooters to Dracula's Castle and the Complete Spanner's Workshop Manual for Lambretta Scooters
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

I think this has gone a bit off on a tangent. If a civil debate about ABS is what you want best open another thread before this one gets locked...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Piaggio looks great. Very modern/European.
With ABS it is the winner.
Every scoot above 50cc's should have ABS standard....and disc brakes.
Fish
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

Is the Medley just a small capacity Beverley?
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

chicaboo wrote:Is the Medley just a small capacity Beverley?
I was thinking the same thing. I like the look of big-wheel scoots and Piaggio does a decent job making them look even more classy.
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

It's only the front wheel that's big, the rear is a 14 same as the PCX.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong

Post by Sticky »

Alibally wrote:I think this has gone a bit off on a tangent. If a civil debate about ABS is what you want best open another thread before this one gets locked...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I certainly have no intention of carrying on down that tangent at all, as I made clear.

Anyhow, with regards to the comments it being a smaller Beverly, I think it was a deliberate attempt to make a family resemblance.

One thing that really shocked me was how much better the Honda's idle-stop was than the Piaggio. You can see the lag difference very obviously in the video. Do you all use idle-stop or do you turn it off?
www.scooterlab.uk
chicaboo
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by chicaboo »

I don't use it on my older 2012 Australian model since the headlights being on all the time would drain the battery.
I've made a thread discussing this, since I've never seen anyone address the headlight running during idle stop before.
If you had a high CCA battery on the LED model, maybe it's not such a big deal?
But yes, idle stop works seamlessly otherwise. It's just never going to get used on my scooter...
honkerman
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by honkerman »

gn2 wrote:It's only the front wheel that's big, the rear is a 14 same as the PCX.

It still keeps that classy big wheel scooter look.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (135.81 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
Paul Smith
scootinfool.blogspot.com
Scootin' Fool on YouTube
Lancaster County Pennsylvania
2013 Honda PCX-150 (Angry Hornet) - Leo Vince Corsa Exhaust, NCY Variator (13g Rollers), NCY shocks, Givi D322S windscreen, NCY drum brake actuator arm, Denali Soundbomb mini horn
2006 Piaggio Beverly 250 (Rosa)

Post by Sticky »

chicaboo wrote:I don't use it on my older 2012 Australian model since the headlights being on all the time would drain the battery.
I've made a thread discussing this, since I've never seen anyone address the headlight running during idle stop before.
If you had a high CCA battery on the LED model, maybe it's not such a big deal?
I'd not considered that aspect of battery drain, so thanks for pointing it out. Honestly I think idle-stop is an unnecessary novelty for most people in western countries, but having seen the traffic in Vietnam and Taiwan it makes more sense, particularly if it is this responsive.
www.scooterlab.uk
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

I used the idle stop on mine, nice to sit peacefully with the engine off.
The engine starts in three tenths of a second due to the acg starter and swing back which positions the crank in the ideal starting position when the engine stops.
The current model has battery protection so the idle stop can't drain the battery.
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

I use the idle stop on mine too
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
WI_Hedgehog