Percy the PCX125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Percy the PCX125

Post by montliz44 »

Hi Carl,

Congratulations on your beautiful new scooter and I must say I'm soo jealous of that lovely countryside (is that the word I want?) you get to ride through. Please don't tell me your entire commute looks like that :)

Also thanks for the tips and diagrams on the Givi. I think about buying one every time we have a cold day here, but generally the weather is very hot year-round and the OEM windshield does a good job of keeping you cool in the heat. I guess that's why they design them that way in the old country (Thailand, that is.)

So welcome to the forum and please send more pics when you get a chance.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
Carl
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Carl »

Thanks Johnny

The countryside around here is proper English! I love living where we do as we're never far away from some stunning walks and decent real ale pubs.

I'd say a good 60% of my route is through rural areas on fast (60mph limit) roads. I don't live in the local castle, but this is the route:

Its not until you hit Sidcup that you get into busy London and things slow down some.

Some interesting things I pass on my ride:

Mereworth church. Designed by Christopher Wrenn. The guy who designed St. Paul's cathedral in central London.

Brands Hatch Circuit:

Old Kent Road - famous from the Monopoly board game (and is still a shitehole). Doesnt all look like this..

The best bit IMO, driving right under Big Ben every day!

Robert R
Regular User
Regular User
Year: S-wing 2014

Post by Robert R »

Thanks for the memories. Spent quite some time cycling the backroads of Kent in the 80's when I was based at Ashford. Ex wife came from Ramsgate and her parents moved to Tenterden/Biddenden area. Wonderful countryside to travel on two wheels. Leg or petrol driven! :lol:
RTFM!!!!!!!!!!!!
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Just over 1 month in and had had the 600 mile service slightly late at 800 miles this week.

Service was done by 21st Moto in Swanley, Kent. Highly recommended as they did it whist I waited and only cost £81.They also give you 15% off anything in their shop whilst they have you keys. Fancied a new helmet, but couldn't find an XL that fits under the seat.

On the way home I 'took the scenic' route and ended up doing a 118 mile ride with a couple of stops for ice cream. Had a great time even though the weather didn't know what it was doing. Bright sunshine followed by torrential rain etc.

The route:

Included a trip through the Dartford tunnel and back across the bridge. That was fun! Then back into more scenic Kent.

Not overly tired at the end but I've quickly had to get used to doing my commute/60 odd miles per day.
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Just passed 3000 miles now and has recently been serviced again by 21st Moto. They even washed it. This bikes life started on the 1st March 2016! Still loving being on two wheels and the positive changes it's brought to my life i.e. dull and expensive commute on train replaced by lots of fun :-) Really enjoy being stuck in a pack of 20 or so much bigger bikes in central London. The noise!

Average miles per (uk) gallon remains at approx 125mpg. Each 66 mile round trip commute is costing me about £2.50. I feel more confident filtering now so have my commute down to just over an hour.

21st Moto looked into the buzzing sound that seems to have developed. Apparently nothing to worry about. They had the transmission apart and the rollers look like they have been used, but overall they bike is in great shape. Not bad as it spends most of its life at 8 to 10/10 throttle for 2 hours a day. I thought it would be the valves but apparently not.

I need to do my full bike licence now. I've already spoken to the garage about a NC750DCT. They had 3 in the showroom. One manual and 2 with the auto box. Central London traffic means auto would be a sensible choice. I'm also considering a R800GS (but would really want a R1200GS adventure!), but this would be manual and more expensive. I've ridden pillion on a F650CS recently and the speed compare to the PCX is bonkers!

Could say I've been bitten by the 2 wheel bug quite hard...
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by flyingzonker »

Very nice looking bike. May I warn you against getting too confident on it, ever. The PCX is so easy to maneuver, so quick and agile. Responsive, as you say. It is easy to contract Superman Syndrome on it and start to take chances. When this happens, sooner or later, you will get nailed. Just a friendly warning. The better you get at handling it, the more canny and cautious you should make it your business to become. No?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

flyingzonker wrote:Very nice looking bike. May I warn you against getting too confident on it, ever. The PCX is so easy to maneuver, so quick and agile. Responsive, as you say. It is easy to contract Superman Syndrome on it and start to take chances. When this happens, sooner or later, you will get nailed. Just a friendly warning. The better you get at handling it, the more canny and cautious you should make it your business to become. No?

God give me strength....
flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by flyingzonker »

you you wrote:

God give me strength....
I may have spoken a little bathetically, but I will stand by my statement. I feel almost omnipotent on my little PCX. It is like flying. I am tempted to not have a care in the world. When I ride my bigger machine, at least a little fear is always in the mix and sometimes even trembling and I know what it means "to walk upon the earth".
fantasy2c
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015

Post by fantasy2c »

flyingzonker wrote:
you you wrote:

God give me strength....
I may have spoken a little bathetically, but I will stand by my statement. I feel almost omnipotent on my little PCX. It is like flying. I am tempted to not have a care in the world. When I ride my bigger machine, at least a little fear is always in the mix and sometimes even trembling and I know what it means "to walk upon the earth".
I actually agree. The more I ride the pcx the more confident I am in its abilities.. So confident I over leaned into a corner, twice. First time scraping the kickstand and the other marring up the header pipe on my malossi exhaust lol
2015 pcx with NYC variator and faceplate and 13g NYC rollers
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by dick the den »

Welcome from a Kent scoot [Honda Vision 110i.] I Know that route you ride well,used to work up in London town.Do miss it though.If you fancy a ride round North Kent,..???? I belong to another forum.And we meet up about once a Month .Ride around The small[very] country lanes.You don't need anything bigger.And because we have only small .c.c ,s we don't go quick.
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

4000 miles this week and fitted some Oxford Premium Tourer heated grips ready for winter (in the middle of summer!).
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Here is the pic. Don't mess about taking the bike to bits feeding the wire from the battery. You can get a coat hanger/stiff wire down the right hand side of the fuel flap pas the ECU to the battery box.

You will need to take the screen off.

100% is too hot to handle!

Ironically posted. Its been 30 degrees here today!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Carl wrote:Here is the pic. Don't mess about taking the bike to bits feeding the wire from the battery. You can get a coat hanger/stiff wire down the right hand side of the fuel flap pas the ECU to the battery box.

You will need to take the screen off.

100% is too hot to handle!

Ironically posted. Its been 30 degrees here today!

I've got the same. Excellent aren't they?
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Used them for the first time in anger this week. 30% was enough in the rain.

Bike is just about to top 5000 miles. Thats 1000 miles a month the bike has been used for the commute. I spend so much time on it during the week it rarely leaves the garage at the weekend.
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

5000 mile service done today at 5357 miles.

£144 all in. This includes a new air filter, oil, spark plug. The air filter was shot and should only need replacing after 10k. Didnt think of moaning too much but aftet seeing another thread this seems expensive?

Now for the interesting bit....

It needs new steering head bearings. I'd not noticed until pointed out. There is some play thats noticeable at speed when going over bumps. Just felt loose. A £250 job covered under warranty.

Also..

The fairing around the left of the fuel filler has hairline cracks. Its not hit anything so the garage has sent in a warranty request. Now its been pointed out I want this sorting. Will be a big job and will require most of the bike being stripped so will ask them to do a valve check when its in bits.

Im suprised it needed anything other than oil but does seem more responsive to 60mph now.

Roll on 7500 in 8 weeks or so!
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

"I've already spoken to the garage about a NC750DCT. They had 3 in the showroom. One manual and 2 with the auto box. Central London traffic means auto would be a sensible choice. I'm also considering a R800GS (but would really want a R1200GS adventure!), but this would be manual and more expensive. I've ridden pillion on a F650CS recently and the speed compare to the PCX is bonkers!
Could say I've been bitten by the 2 wheel bug quite hard...[/quote]

...Buuuuuutttt What about Percy, are you saying you're replacing him???? I'd gotten quite attached to Percy and his adventures!
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
Carl
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Carl »

Thanks,

Wont be replacing him just yet. It makes so much financial sense to commute on something that does 130 mpg! The 750 does 80, but I could knock another 10 mins off the commute using the motorway. Half my commute is 50+mph and hilly so I'm at 9/10ths or WOT for longish periods. I'm interested to see how long the engine lasts. Its treated with mechanical sympathy and serviced on time. 30k is what I've been told to expect.

Will do the full licence soon to get the training and loose the L plates and see how I feel. It does seem silly not to use Percy for at least 2 years for commuting duties.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

I'd say much beyond 30k with proper care. I've recently made a big bore kit upgrade for a friend. His bike had over 12km on the clock, qnd i could not find any issues at all. Cylinder still had the honing marks and so on.
Also if I remember exactly there was a memberfrom this forum whoreported over 50k miles on the clock without issues.
k2apache6.0
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by k2apache6.0 »

Ditto Oyabun, at least 50k, and more if you keep her serviced regularily, theres no reason why a very well maintained scoot couldn't do a hundred k. Percy can do it, course he can.
My PCX mod build here..
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=7113
axeltow
Color: Black

Post by axeltow »

Nice reading and quite useful.

I have decided that I will ride mine till the first signs of snow so I was wondering what is your rain gear?