What has been your longest continual ride on the PCX?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

flyingzonker
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Re: What has been your longest continual ride on the PCX?

Post by flyingzonker »

Sasso wrote:It's not so much the wind that gets me.. More the bumps and potential to discover very bumpy roads which for a bigger bike or a car are no problem but for my little PCX become a jittery wobbly teeth grinding back shattering experience.

It's exhausting, but at same time I'm always up for a long ride, though not on motorways/highways.
I can resonate with this description...I used to suffer greatly from back pain after no more than 30 mins on PCX and on my other bigger bikes as well. I thought for a while that I would have to give up riding. I bought an AirHawk seat and that helped somewhat but still there was a problem.

I started researching online for some kind of remedy for this condition. I came across a lot and tired a lot and found a combination of supplements that finally put my syndrome completely down. To make a long story short: I buy glucosamine, chondroitin, MSM in bulk and ingest these three together twice a day. Also, for a local problem, I rub a homemade concoction of DSMO, emu oil and aloe juice on my shoulder, and Friends, before your eyes start rolling I can say honestly that these measures have allowed me to ride everyday for as long as I please to.

The longest I have ever ridden on the PCX? Maybe 120 miles. I didn't really enjoy the ride. It was before I had the AirHawk--a must, in my opinion, and not the gel seat, but the one that is inflated. And, most importantly, it was before I started the supplements regimen.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

About 35 miles and never again. But I love long rides and have done coast to coast twice, but on machines built for it. The Pcx is the best 40 mph bike I’ve ever ridden, and it gets used EVERY day down here, but not at 60-70 mph -too “skitterish” -and not long rides. For that I use my CTX DCT.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I know what you mean about less instinctive. The road has a way of hypnotizing you after a while, so you have to shake your head ever so often in order to get out of the trance. Then look around instead of just ahead. When I was in the Coast Guard and we were flying for hours on end looking in the endless ocean for one tiny orange life jacket, it was easy to go into a trance. They told us to change our viewing from far out to close up, and then back to far out. Then sweep back and forth slowly. It is exercise for the eyes.

As far as back pain goes, I have now had 8 back surgeries, so my advice is to get some kind of back support for the long rides, and a gel cushion to absorb the bumps that are not already absorbed by the good replacement shocks, and replacement seat. I can now lean back when I am riding any distance, and I can relax my muscles somewhat. That makes a world of difference.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

I tried a Back-a-Line. It is, unfortunately, another bit of gear to put on, but if we are going out for a few hour ride, I am FAR happier with it than without it. It is a relatively inexpensive gamble to try. I originally ordered a large, but I dropped a bunch of weight during a thyroid adventure. I'm now a 35-36 inch waist, and a medium works great.

https://smile.amazon.com/BACK-LINE-HEAV ... ack-a-line

And a review:

https://www.webbikeworld.com/back-line- ... lt-review/
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

About 50 miles (round trip on stock seat) is normally sufficient for me. But as I've said before 70 is not out of the question. :geek:

I had to fill out a survey recently for Honda on how I liked my 2017 PCX so far and I did mention the one thing they should improve on is the seat. Otherwise gave them good scores. 8)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

George, I purchased one of those Back-A-Line back supports as well, and it is good for some rides and bad for others. It is restricting, so no Dragon's Tail riding with it.
If I plan on a long ride out in the country, it works well. I just don't want to become too dependent on it instead of exercising my back muscles.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Regular User
Regular User
Color: 15 Forza

Post by 87112 »

The best way to have a healthy back is to USE your back. I had a 1 month job at Napa delivering and stocking car parts. Its made my weak back much stronger and the job improved my overall health.

However the person working above me was on me like white on rice and when I was in the restroom worried if he was going to pound on the door " hurry up, order is up". so I quit.
:geek:
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

135 miles.
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I’d like to be macho here but recently it was just under 300 miles. It took me the whole day
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

you you wrote:I’d like to be macho here but recently it was just under 300 miles. It took me the whole day

Bravo !!! Nice going ! A serious question.... could you have ridden 100 miles or so the following day?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
you you wrote:I’d like to be macho here but recently it was just under 300 miles. It took me the whole day

Bravo !!! Nice going ! A serious question.... could you have ridden 100 miles or so the following day?

Body yes, mind no. Wouldn’t have been able to face it
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

you you wrote:
springer1 wrote:

Body yes, mind no. Wouldn’t have been able to face it
Yep that's been my experience, even though I've not done 300 in a day. I have a dream to do a distance (900m round trip) ride on the PCX over a period a week, but I fear I'll chicken out ..... maybe to good judgement.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I use to say that you can do anything, once...but that is only if you are young enough to recover. What i did once upon a time is in the past now. No matter how much we use our backs or exercise, once we get old it will take longer for our bodies to bounce back...and if we have been injured at some point that part will be your body's weak point. In my case, it is my back.

An accident while I was in the Anarctic has forever changed me. I put up with the pain for 25 years after that before my back finally gave up. Blame it on old age. I know of quite a few others who had injured their back when they were young, and it finally caught up with them when they reached 'old age'.
Taking a PCX for a long ride is for the young.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Mel46 wrote:I use to say that you can do anything, once...but that is only if you are young enough to recover. What i did once upon a time is in the past now. No matter how much we use our backs or exercise, once we get old it will take longer for our bodies to bounce back...and if we have been injured at some point that part will be your body's weak point. In my case, it is my back.

An accident while I was in the Anarctic has forever changed me. I put up with the pain for 25 years after that before my back finally gave up. Blame it on old age. I know of quite a few others who had injured their back when they were young, and it finally caught up with them when they reached 'old age'.
Taking a PCX for a long ride is for the young.
Thanks for the reinforcing advice Mel, .... sigh .... I think you are correct. Antarctic !!! WoW !!!
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

My longest one-day tour on PCX was last June.

11 hours for 400 miles, all terrain, mainly highway.
Engine oil burnt a bit, but power stable all the time.

BTW, I don't feel tired at all whatsoever. 30 plus of age, just don't get tired on bikes.
doletotodole
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: WHITE

Post by doletotodole »

I reckon would double the distance had I been on US or UK roads, better tarmac to enjoy. hahah
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Yes, there are some good roads in the USA, but there are also some very bad roads that you won't find out about until you end up on them accidentally. As an example, there are some roads we call Forest Service roads. Sometimes they don't turn into bad roads until you have gone about 1/4 of a mile down them.

Springer1, yes I have been to the Antarctic for 6 months. Then I went to the Arctic for 3 months. Then I went to Hawaii for 2 years and got the privilege of flying all over the Pacific, landing at some historic islands, like Midway, Christmas island, and a few others. I've been to Bermuda, South America, New Zealand, Tahiti, Mexico, Canada, Newfoundland, Greenland, and a few other places. Being in the military had its advantages.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Thanks for your service Mel - seriously. Sorry for the injury that you've had to deal with bud.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

It goes with the territory. Sometimes you get injured. You aren't in the military to play it safe.

One of my grandsons is now an Apache helicopter pilot. He has always wanted to fly them. That is great, but I don't know if he has thought about when those particular types of helicopters will be flown. He got married a year ago. Any bets as to when he will deploy to a war zone?
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Mel46 wrote:Yes, there are some good roads in the USA, but there are also some very bad roads that you won't find out about until you end up on them accidentally. As an example, there are some roads we call Forest Service roads. Sometimes they don't turn into bad roads until you have gone about 1/4 of a mile down them.

Springer1, yes I have been to the Antarctic for 6 months. Then I went to the Arctic for 3 months. Then I went to Hawaii for 2 years and got the privilege of flying all over the Pacific, landing at some historic islands, like Midway, Christmas island, and a few others. I've been to Bermuda, South America, New Zealand, Tahiti, Mexico, Canada, Newfoundland, Greenland, and a few other places. Being in the military had its advantages.

Thanks for sharing Mel46, you definitely got the privilege of seeing the world. Our life span here on earth isn't that long, so your travels are very cool. I have been lucky to travel to a few countries, like Singapore, Italy, Egypt and Costa Rica. I really enjoyed meeting people from other places, It's intriguing to walk into other peoples life.

Yesterday I had dinner at an Applebees and in the waiting area with me and my girl there where three elderly couples, two high school girls and a guy in his 20s. As I looked around, made eye contact and smiled to some of the elderly couples, I imagined that we where all on a train of life, where the train makes stops and keeps going indefinitely. Some of us hopped on not that long ago, like the two teenage girls, some of us are getting off soon and others take an early stop. Life just seems so short, the older we are the sooner our stop might arrive, at least that how it seems.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.