Honda covered my towing today

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

Yep. The PCX needed a tow today. My key would not turn the ignition, so matter what I tried. It had been raining off and on quite a bit here in Florida the last few days. Thankfully, I was in the office when it began to rain again, and not out on the road.

AAA basically said I would need to spend more on my membership for towing for motorbikes. If I upgrade now it could take 3 days to complete the process. I'm essentially broke till next payday so adding more expense wouldn't help. I vaguely remembered seeing something about roadside assistance in my HondaCare papers. I called them. They said my tow was covered to nearest appropriate Honda dealer within 100 miles. You can call once in a 7 day period, up to 4 times per year. I will say I was pleased with that surpise benefit from the Honda warranty.
daugava

Re: Honda covered my towing today

Post by daugava »

jasontheparamedic wrote:I vaguely remembered seeing something about roadside assistance in my HondaCare papers. I called them. They said my tow was covered to nearest appropriate Honda dealer within 100 miles. You can call once in a 7 day period, up to 4 times per year. I will say I was pleased with that surpise benefit from the Honda warranty.
Cool, now I feel better about my dealer coaxing me into buying Honda Protection :)
Scooters2com.blogspot.com
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I wish there was a little red button that would bypass all the PCX switches that prevents ignition, such as side stand switch and combo brake switch for when those switches fail. Or I need to learn how to hot wire it! I can hot wire my boat diesel by putting a screw driver across the starter solenoid which got me out of trouble once.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

In the UK you get 2 years free breakdown cover from Honda UK. I thought you might get this in the US as well?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

We only get a year in the USA. We can pay $500+ for 3 years of "extended coverage" though.

Jason, did they find what was wrong?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

was it definitely your PCX :lol:
My mate at work once spent a good 5 minutes trying to unlock his clio before he realised it was an identical one to his parked in the next space over.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Well, I finally made it to the dealer in the middle of my workday. It took several tries but they were able to get the key to turn...barely. They are going to relace a part in the ignition area anyways since it still "sticks" way too much. Which one?...I don't know yet until tomorrow. And it's going to be under warranty. Yay to that!
was it definitely your PCX :lol:
My mate at work once spent a good 5 minutes trying to unlock his clio before he realised it was an identical one to his parked in the next space over.
Yep, definitely mine. There aren't too many PCX's around here in Tampa area. There's only one dealer that regularly stocks them. Sadly, many people have gone the way of Chinese scooters in these parts.

And my Honda Care 3 year extension was around $370.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Odd, sounds like they might have to replace the whole ignition assembly. That's the first I've heard of the ignition failing.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

I just got my bike back today. The ignition assembly is on major backorder, just like all the other Honda PCX parts it seems. Heck, my belt I ordered just arrived to me after 2 months! So the good folks at the powersports dealership were able to lube the ignition switch good enough as a temporary means to get me through whatever time it takes for the new ignition assembly to arrive. In the meantime, I will have to be very careful with how I turn the key to avoid it making things worse. They will call me when the new part arrives so I can get this bike fixed correctly.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I think your dealer is full of crap. My dealer replaced my whole engine block to fix my centerstand (under warranty), and we only had to wait 2 weeks on parts. There's no way it took the belt 2 months to get in.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

I ordered the belt myself from the powersportsplus.com website I mentioned awhile back. I have no idea when the dealer is getting the parts from their source. The parts still haven't arrived yet. At least whatever lubing they did to my ignition switch in the meantime has worked, since they key has been turning easily.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

that's what I thought when i got my PCX back from service,I eventually got the ignition to turn,happens from time to time,rather annoying
Woolley wrote:was it definitely your PCX :lol: