Hello everyone

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Hello everyone

Post by Theboybilly »

Just a quick hello (though I have been on the ClubPCX forum for a while). Hopefully I shall pick up my new PCX on Friday 15th June. It's a black model and I have ordered it to come with a bigger screen and Honda topbox (not too sure but I think this avoids drilling unlike the Givi) I hope to add bits & pieces as and when necessary/money allows though, this being a commuting workhorse, there won't be too much bling. It'll be mainly the addition of comfort items such as winter bar muffs and Toucan Urbano leg cover to make it a year-round machine.

Bill
Image[/URL
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Hello everyone

Post by duive01 »

I've also ordered my PCX with the Honda top box plate (not the actual top box itself because I heard it's the standard Monokey or Monolock system so you can use other/bigger top boxes than the only one Honda is offering). I was told that indeed there was no drilling involved. But it's expensive.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

I'm downsizing from a BMW F650 and am really excited about entering the world of Twist n' Go simplicity. I could have done with the PCX last night as I was called into work at the last minute and had to use my truck to get in. Nearly 3 gallons of diesel v half a gallon of unleaded is a no-brainer.

Bill
Image[/URL
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've got the Honda tall screen and top box on my pcx. The rear top panel behind the seat will have four holes drilled through it so the mounting plate bolts can screw into the grab rail beneath it. It's not as bad as it sounds because the holes are out of sight, unless you remove the mounting plate as well as the box.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Hello and welcome to the forum
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Welcome to the forum Bill. Bet you can not wait to pick it up. I have a black one too and love the chrome/ black theme.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Thanks for the welcome. Yes it's true that I can't wait to pick my PCX up. I could have had it this week but the guy in the dealer isn't back from the IOM TT races until Friday and that didn't work with my shifts. I have a long weekend from the 15th so decided to arrange delivery/hand over then. I have signed up for Fuelly so will see what the economy is in due course but anything over 90mpg would be marvellous. My main route is from Shoreham-by-sea (between Brighton & Worthing) to Gatwick Airport via A-Roads on early shifts or when engineering works mean no trains. Other than that it'll be mainly trips to the gym in Brighton or general day-to-day errands. I got a reasonable insurance quote from Carole Nash although I could have got it a fair bit cheaper. But you get what you pay for. Some had alarmingly little cover and one wanted me to do less than 3000 miles per annum. I'm actually paying more for the PCX than the 650cc BMW it has replaced.
My aim is to keep the PCX for a couple of years and see how I go. I want to get into touring again and will decide in due course whether to just upsize to something like a Burgman 400/650, or even a V-Strom Adventure. Paying off the car next year will have a huge bearing on that decision but until then I'm out to get as much use out of this super little scooter.

Again thank you for the welcome,

Bill
Image[/URL
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Bill you will easily achieve that mileage. My car also gets paid up next year and I will also get something that can do a bit of touring. Will be fun test riding a lot of models till then. Your PCX will keep you happy for now am sure
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

How does the Honda rack fit if there's no drilling?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Hello gn2, I may have got the wrong end of the stick about the Honda topbox plate not requiring drilling. I must've misunderstood a post on one of the forums. I've just checked the order form for my bike and the extras are:
1xHonda monolock plate - £25.00
1xE300 - £49.00
1xHonda clear screen - £41.00

I am going to order a couple of styling bits (muffler insert etc) just to break up all that black. Do you think the cover for the ignition switch and seat/fuel button is a worthwhile extra?

Bill
Image[/URL
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

edscoot wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

I've got the Honda tall screen and top box on my pcx. The rear top panel behind the seat will have four holes drilled through it so the mounting plate bolts can screw into the grab rail beneath it. It's not as bad as it sounds because the holes are out of sight, unless you remove the mounting plate as well as the box.
That's the Givi you're talking about right? Not the Honda stuff?
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Theboybilly wrote:I'm downsizing from a BMW F650 and am really excited about entering the world of Twist n' Go simplicity. I could have done with the PCX last night as I was called into work at the last minute and had to use my truck to get in. Nearly 3 gallons of diesel v half a gallon of unleaded is a no-brainer.

Bill
I also had a BMW F650 last year, toured Europe on it (Holland, Belgium, Luxemburg, France, Switzerland, Italy, Austria, Germany and even Liechtenstein). It was nice but I really missed the smooth ride a scooter gives you. So I also 'downgraded' (I would say upgraded for the smoother and more relaxed driving experience) to a motor scooter, 2006 Honda Lead 100. I like scootering so much I ordered the PCX 150 and I'm riding it to the South of Spain in July/August. But I don't think it can beat the BMW at sitting comfort, very nice seat and position. I had not much trouble last year on the F650 but I think that can be much different this year on the PCX.
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

duive01, I had an F650CS-the belt driven model. A lovely bike if a tad ugly duckling. But it's riding position began to hurt my old knees and hence wasn't being ridden.
Bill
Image[/URL
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

duive01 wrote:
edscoot wrote:Hi and welcome to the forum.

That's the Givi you're talking about right? Not the Honda stuff?
It's got Honda written on it - I think Givi make them for Honda, and probably other bike makers too.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Theboybilly wrote:Hello gn2, I may have got the wrong end of the stick about the Honda topbox plate not requiring drilling. I must've misunderstood a post on one of the forums. I've just checked the order form for my bike and the extras are:
1xE300 - £49.00

I am going to order a couple of styling bits (muffler insert etc) just to break up all that black. Do you think the cover for the ignition switch and seat/fuel button is a worthwhile extra?

Bill
Welcome, Bill!

The topbox does require drilling, through the top "passenger handle cover" fairing. It's the plastic bit right behind the seat. You have to drill 4 holes.

I wouldn't bother with the cover for the ignition switch, the stock plate is silver and looks nice. I would get the muffler trim piece, as shown below. It does wonders for the looks of the back of the bike:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Theboybilly
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Theboybilly »

Indeed the exhaust looks much better. I will get the little endpiece for the outlet too. There's no rush. As for the ignition switch cover, I was just thinking of protecting the lock from the elements. However it would seem that fitting that cover would mean replacing the existing cover on the other side for 'matching' purposes. And there was I saying that I wasn't going to get into bling, lol.

Bill
Image[/URL
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

maddiedog wrote:
Theboybilly wrote:Hello gn2, I may have got the wrong end of the stick about the Honda topbox plate not requiring drilling. I must've misunderstood a post on one of the forums. I've just checked the order form for my bike and the extras are:
1xE300 - £49.00

Bill
Welcome, Bill!

The topbox does require drilling, through the top "passenger handle cover" fairing. It's the plastic bit right behind the seat. You have to drill 4 holes.

I wouldn't bother with the cover for the ignition switch, the stock plate is silver and looks nice. I would get the muffler trim piece, as shown below. It does wonders for the looks of the back of the bike:
Hi and welcome to the forums!.

I have ordered that muffler cover, plus the rims' stickers like a MONTH ago. Actually, I ordered them together with the bike. Difference is the bike was available right there and those parts had to be ordered. It's taking ages for them to be delivered. I had my first oil service done yesterday and the workshop supervisor told me they're in "waiting list". I have no complain about him or the dealer since, to my eyes, they're trying their best, but I can't understand how it takes so long to deliver those parts.

Are you guys having similar delays when ordering parts?.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I like the stealth look of my black pcx so have a aluminim black exhaust trim cover coming my way next month thanks to Pikey. It has pcx logo in same place as the one Dave posted a pic of but is silver letter or chrome. Should finish exhaust cover off nicely me thinks
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Theboybilly wrote:I am going to order a couple of styling bits (muffler insert etc) just to break up all that black. Do you think the cover for the ignition switch and seat/fuel button is a worthwhile extra?

No I don't.
But then I think that any money spent on useless bling is money wasted.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

If the genuine Honda topcase rack does need drilling too then I've paid far too much for it (well, actually I haven't paid yet since I'm still waiting for my new PCX with rack), could have saved a lot by buying Givi! Well, at least my dealer said he would place the rack on the bike so I don't have to do it myself, that's worth some extra bucks. I usually screw things like that up, even when it seems simple (two left hands). :oops: