Flat tire

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Flat tire

Post by maddiedog »

duive01 wrote:The puncture is in the profile but on the far right side of the tire. The sidewall is the part where you don't ride on, is it? Well, maybe if you have Yamaha R1 or something like that. Can you get a puncture in the side wall? Not a big chance, is it?
The sidewall is the part you don't ride on, the part without tread that is usually just about vertical. You'd have to have a nail come through at an angle to puncture it.
gn2 wrote:
gn2 wrote:
Statistics work any way you want them to.
If you didn't learn that at college then your lecturers don't know shit.
You can intentionally skew statistics to support a result, yes. But there are known, proper, scientific ways of conducting statistics. That's beside the point -- you're claim about being less likely to get a puncture after having one is clearly wrong, and is misleading. You could at least agree with me there, I argued my point very logically.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

maddiedog wrote:You could at least agree with me there, I argued my point very logically.
No, I won't be agreeing with you because I believe I'm right and I don't have pointy ears.

You really should watch World According To Garp, it's a brilliant film.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0084917/
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

Just had a slow leaking back tyre fixed today,
I had a screw stick in it :| went to National tyres and autocare and had a patched placed inside the tyre and a new tube fitted at a cost of £15.00 not bad :)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

ummm... our tires dont have tubes.... and I thought thats a BIG NO NO to stick a tube in a tubeless tire...
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

It should be ok, alot of riders say its fine to stick a tube in a tubeless tyre but if you get a leak you suffer immediate air loss :|
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

uploader wrote:It should be ok, alot of riders say its fine to stick a tube in a tubeless tyre but if you get a leak you suffer immediate air loss :|
So just exactly what happens in a tubed tyre on a wire spoke wheel when it sustains a puncture?
There are heaps of those wheels around and no-one gets their knickers in a knot panicking about puncture risk.
I have ridden a tube in a tubeless tyre on a Suzuki GS850G and never had a problem.
A GS850G weighs more than two PCXs and goes nearly twice as fast.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

ah... guess its just a rumor then.. Like plugging a tire =] Learn something new every day! What do you do about the valve?
uploader
Regular User
Regular User

Post by uploader »

lets me just point out that I know nothing about bikes
got my pcx in may and its only done 60 miles
all i want is to be safe
So is it safe to ride with a tube or should I buy a new tubeless tyre ASAP :? :Thanks
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

from what gn2 said I dont think you should have a problem..
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

uploader wrote:Just had a slow leaking back tyre fixed today,
I had a screw stick in it :| went to National tyres and autocare and had a patched placed inside the tyre and a new tube fitted at a cost of £15.00 not bad :)
This is perfectly safe in my opinion.
National tyres are a long established and highly respected company.
They would not set you on your way with an unsafe repair.

@Eddie, when fitting a tube obviously the tubeless valve has to come out.
Either keep or discard it.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Thought so. Just sounds like more of a pain than plugging and replacing.
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

My PCX is leaking air from the front tyre but there is nothing to suggest a puncture.I have changed the valve to see if it will help,very dangerous riding with a slightly underinflated tyre.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Hey Eric

Have you tried soapy water? If you lather it on the tire it does a good job at bubbling so you can identify where the leak is. It could be the bead, or even the valve... so be sure to get those too.

If you've already done this, you could always take the tire off and dunk the entire thing in water. If you're losing air, it has to be coming from somewhere