Gear / Helmet discussion (split off from Ermax thread)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Ermax

Post by Woolley »

yeah ive noticed a lot of quad bikes recently, groups of about 7 or more and not a helmet in sight.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

Woolley wrote:yeah ive noticed a lot of quad bikes recently, groups of about 7 or more and not a helmet in sight.
I've seen a little gang of them riding all over Wolves, must think they're a group like the Hells Angels! Just look like pikeys to me!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

In the wee small hours some ramraiding tealeaves were using quadbikes as getaway vehicles along a railway line they thought was closed for the night.
Very bad idea.
Train 2 Quadbikes 0
Serves em right.
http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/dec/0 ... uad-bikers
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

ermmmm isnt this about my screen choice and not what we are wearing.........
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

No, it's about whatever we want it to be about now that you've got the info you need. :lol:
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

louthepoo wrote:
Woolley wrote:yeah ive noticed a lot of quad bikes recently, groups of about 7 or more and not a helmet in sight.
I've seen a little gang of them riding all over Wolves, must think they're a group like the Hells Angels! Just look like pikeys to me!
Must be the same people. I saw them in Halesowen. There definetely not hells angels, hells angels are my girlfriends bosses :lol:
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

trigg123 wrote:ermmmm isnt this about my screen choice and not what we are wearing.........
We tend to get off-topic here... A lot... :lol:

I can move the off-topic posts to another thread, if you want. It's your call.

gn2 wrote:No, it's about whatever we want it to be about now that you've got the info you need. :lol:
So we wish to talk about pikeys?

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

As one who has ancestral links to travelling people I find the term pikey offensive.
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

gn2 wrote:As one who has ancestral links to travelling people I find the term pikey offensive.
The term pikey does not refer to all strands of travelling folk so I wouldn't get too upset about it.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Cascanciu wrote: I have seen what happens when you fall of a bike in shorts and T-Shirt, and believe me if I tell you that those guys had a bad time.
I always think this is a little bit strange argument. I've seen somebody crossing the street getting hit by a car, didn't look nice. Does that mean I have to wear a helmet when I cross the street the next time???
Some people wear helmets on their bicycles. How far do you wanna go? Wear a helmet in the house??? Why not? Most accidents happen inside!

But when you feel better with protective gear you should absolutely wear it. It's the safest way to go!
But don't judge people because they choose a little bit more for freedom and a bit less for safety.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Ermax

Post by Woolley »

But you won't get hit by a car at 60mph in your house.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

duive01 wrote:But don't judge people because they choose a little bit more for freedom and a bit less for safety.
I don't judge people who consciously choose to not wear protective gear. I do however judge people who are too stupid to inform themselves of the risks of not wearing that gear. These are the people who might look at a picture of a rider smashed to bits and think 'That would never happen to me!', and merrily hop on the bike with at most some decorative 'helmet'. These are the people who also do not realize that you are eight times more likely to die while riding a bike than while driving. That's just statistics, which of course includes both responsible and reckless riders.

Me, I'm very much aware of the risks, and choose to mitigate them to the best of my abilities while still enjoying riding. That includes wearing gear, but I'd argue that that is not quite as important as a riding style in which one recognizes and evades the biggest risks of riding. I'd much rather have a son who rides responsibly and chooses to just wear a helmet and little else, than a son who dresses up in the best leather and thinks he's invincible.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

duive01 said:
Some people wear helmets on their bicycles. How far do you wanna go?
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

Believe it or not, bicycle helmets are a legal requirement where I live. Not in Washington state, but in the county where I live and many others. I don't think about it much as I've worn one since my racing days. That said, I do wonder about all the protective gear I put on to ride my scooter and compare it to the lack of gear I wear on my bicycle (helmet, sunglasses, light gloves, shorts, shirt, trail shoes...certainly no armor or leather :lol: ). My maximum speed on the mtn bicycle last weekend was 34.6 mph. Not as fast as the PCX, but........ obviously fast enough to cause some significant damage in a crash.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

duive01 wrote:Most accidents happen inside!
Yep, the most dangerous thing you can do is sleep in a bed.
Most people die in a bed.
Come to think of it you don't want to drink water or breathe air either.
Everyone who ever died drank water and breathed air.
It's a cruel game life, no-one gets out alive.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

plus sunlight and food gives you cancer, steer clear of them.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Fiah wrote:
duive01 wrote:But don't judge people because they choose a little bit more for freedom and a bit less for safety.
I don't judge people who consciously choose to not wear protective gear. I do however judge people who are too stupid to inform themselves of the risks of not wearing that gear. These are the people who might look at a picture of a rider smashed to bits and think 'That would never happen to me!', and merrily hop on the bike with at most some decorative 'helmet'. These are the people who also do not realize that you are eight times more likely to die while riding a bike than while driving. That's just statistics, which of course includes both responsible and reckless riders.

Me, I'm very much aware of the risks, and choose to mitigate them to the best of my abilities while still enjoying riding. That includes wearing gear, but I'd argue that that is not quite as important as a riding style in which one recognizes and evades the biggest risks of riding. I'd much rather have a son who rides responsibly and chooses to just wear a helmet and little else, than a son who dresses up in the best leather and thinks he's invincible.
I couldn't agree with you more. If you like riding on the edge then it's very unwise to ride in a T-shirt. If you like to drive around in T-shirt you should have to have an accordingly 'safe as possible' drive-style. And even a 'safe' drive-style can lead to accidents, I crashed my Honda Pantheon 150 into a Mercedes Vito that suddenly crossed my path without looking. :cry:
Attachments
100_0853.jpg
100_0853.jpg (216.4 KiB) Viewed 1108 times
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Oooh, poor Honda.

They say "dress for the crash, not the ride," but there is a convenience factor associated with gear. I often ride with jeans and a t-shirt, with a full-face helmet. If I went down, it would suck, but to me it's worth the risk to be more comfortable given the heat and humidity here. I often wear gloves if I'm hitting roads I'm unfamiliar with, and will occasionally wear a kevlar jacket if I'm doing some really gnarly, twisty roads.

Honestly, I don't even think wearing jeans and a t-shirt is that bad. I used to street luge in basketball shorts, a t-shirt, and no helmet. THAT was stupid. As long as you wear a good full-face helmet, you're probably doing better than half the riders out there.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

duive01 wrote:
Cascanciu wrote: I have seen what happens when you fall of a bike in shorts and T-Shirt, and believe me if I tell you that those guys had a bad time.
I always think this is a little bit strange argument. I've seen somebody crossing the street getting hit by a car, didn't look nice. Does that mean I have to wear a helmet when I cross the street the next time???
Some people wear helmets on their bicycles. How far do you wanna go? Wear a helmet in the house??? Why not? Most accidents happen inside!

But when you feel better with protective gear you should absolutely wear it. It's the safest way to go!
But don't judge people because they choose a little bit more for freedom and a bit less for safety.
Oh, no, no way I'll be judging anyone for doing anything that, in the end, doesn't affect me at all. If you read my whole post, you'll see that I started out with a "I think it's very personal whether to..." ;) . On the other hand, I don't see to what extent does safety affect freedom. Tell me, as Maddiedog says, that it's hot and humid and you can't stand a jacket and I'll understand it, but I don't think that's very much the case in The Netherlands, is it? :roll: ;) .

Here in Europe we tend to have more or less "standardized" traffic regulations, and I don't think there's any country in the Old Continent in which you can ride without a helmet. In the US where they have they're own laws at all levels, I think you can do that, depending where you live. Fair enough, for me. With liberty comes responsibility and we're all grown up adults.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

maddiedog wrote:Honestly, I don't even think wearing jeans and a t-shirt is that bad.
Well, I do. I think it's bad because wearing protective gear (gloves, boots, jacket, pants) can prevent a lot of damage in any accident, and as such should be worn regardless of whether you think the trip will be dangerous or whether you'll be riding carefully. Sure, there are reasons to skimp on the gear, but laziness is definitely the worst reason in my opinion. Saying you'll ride extra carefully is just an excuse for not having to bother with putting the gear on, and it won't help you anyway for when some blind driver creams you.

As for the heat, a mesh jacket with protection would go a long way to help protect you without making you uncomfortably hot. And gloves, gloves are really the most important after a helmet!