Gear / Helmet discussion (split off from Ermax thread)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Ermax

Post by duive01 »

I think I will not buy a windscreen because of the many negative reactions of many windscreen owners. With all the different windscreens I hear about helmet noise that has increased since placing the new windscreens. I rather have the wind on my chest than on my face, I love to ride with my helmet open.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

I should point out I had a lot more helmet noise with the stock windscreen, less with the Ermax and now less again by taping the gap. We have big bugs here that hurt and splatter on your clothing when going fast. Im still happy with my ermax as it stops those bugs. I would like to try a tall givi as a comparison but havent seen a PCX around where I live with one. Im the only one here with a non stock screen so far as I can tell.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Taz wrote:I should point out I had a lot more helmet noise with the stock windscreen, less with the Ermax and now less again by taping the gap. We have big bugs here that hurt and splatter on your clothing when going fast.
OK, it's good to hear what you experienced. There are also people who wrote that the helmet noise was getting worse after placing a non-stock screen, I don't remember what brand and size it was. I was thinking about buying the same Ermax you have Taz, the 25+. I thought it would lift the airstream right over my head so I could ride with an open helmet (visor up).
I used to ride big scooters, the Honda Foresight 250 and Pantheon 150. They had excellent stock windscreens, there was hardly any need to close your helmet. Really loved that.
Then I had a BMW F650 with a very little windscreen (if you can call it that). Riding in the summer in good weather I also could drive with an open helmet most of the time.
Now I have a Honda Lead 100 with a Givi windscreen and the air goes over my windscreen right in my face. I have to close my helmet almost all of the time. I think this would improve if I remove the screen.
I don't know if this is the same as what you call 'helmet noise'? I never have been bothered much by the noise in my helmet, always use a open face helmet. To me using ear plugs seems ridiculous on a scooter but maybe I should try it once, what seems ridiculous now can make a lot of sense later.

What about the big bugs? Do you have flying rabbits? :lol:
No, I know it can hurt. I also had one once splatter in the corner of my eye, took me three days to get rid of the not so nice feeling. And last year something flew in my collar and stung me in my neck at 50 miles per hour, luckily I didn't panic.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Hmm the only reason I wont wear open face helmet is I have seen the damage to ones chin, nose and teeth when hitting something face first. Not worth the risk in my opinion but it is your face.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

ive been riding in summer with my open face behind the ermax and its fine. Its just these new fangled closed face helmets with all the vents are noisy. The problem I have is with my Shark helmet not the ermax. I would think the flip up modular helmets are even more noisy.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

duive01 said:
To me using ear plugs seems ridiculous on a scooter but maybe I should try it once, what seems ridiculous now can make a lot of sense later.
I find that lowering the background noise helps me focus on my riding, and that I actually hear sirens and other important traffic information more quickly and clearly. So, I almost always wear earplugs and keep a spare pair in the small accessory box on the scooter. If I've forgotten, they are right there with me. I've also heard that you can have significant hearing loss from riding without them, but I don't know how accurate that is. Regardless I recommend giving them a try.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

I don't really believe the hearing loss part because I've been riding motorized two-wheelers for maybe twenty years now and my hearing is still OK!
Are you using special plugs because you should think that you wouldn't hear sirens as good as without the plugs. So I thought that maybe you have special plugs that filters out specific noises like the sound of the wind and the motor?
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

I just wear regular reusable foam plugs; nothing fancy. I just find that it cuts out much of the motor and wind noise, so I can more easily detect important sounds.

My MSF class instructor said that he had hearing loss and that it was an issue with motorcycles, but I think it can be hard to determine why you have hearing loss...if you have it. One of the things I like about the scooter is that it is much more quiet than most motorcycles. I'm not a fan of loud engine sounds and I don't really want my neighbors to hear me when I'm coming and going.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

all you hear /read about hearing loss is true,there is loads of info out there about decibels levels at different speeds,....it s down to the rider,but i had some made year ago and im my opinion they are as much an esential as anything ....just saying and my opinion :D
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

trigg123 wrote:all you hear /read about hearing loss is true,there is loads of info out there about decibels levels at different speeds,....it s down to the rider,but i had some made year ago and im my opinion they are as much an esential as anything ....just saying and my opinion :D
Essential...

I ride on two wheels because it gives me a feeling of freedom. When the weather is good enough I want to put on my coat and put on my helmet and go! Italian style! I wish we had more Italian weather here in Holland.

When I have to put on motorcycle boots, motorcycle pants, motorcycle jacket, gloves, safety jacket, ear plugs (and maybe some people even wear more than this) then my freedom is gone and I rather don't ride at all or go by car. Last year I had full gear on when on holiday with a BMW F650, driving through Italian cities, standing still most of the time, hot! hot! hot!, and all those Italians passing by in T-shirt and short pants on their scooters, man what was I jealous! So this year that's the way I'm going to do it myself, on the PCX to the south of Spain.

I'm not a commuter (if I was I probably would wear more protection). Most of the time I drive in good weather conditions, carefully at 40-45 miles per hour on small roads. Of course this doesn't mean nothing can happen. I have had an accident about five years ago, total loss, my scooter against a Mercedes van. I was lucky I wasn't driving very fast. But I know how easy you're not being seen! And I had a colleague lecturing over protection every time you talked about bikes, he died in a motorcycle accident.

So call me crazy but I'm happy I can choose for freedom.

PS: isn't it so that in the US you don't even have to wear a helmet?
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

In my state and I believe 19 others helmets are required for anyone riding a motorcycle. In many other states only riders under 18 years of age must have a helmet. This is one of the areas where states get to make their own rules. Some states also have bicycle helmet laws, but I believe those only apply to youth.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I fully agree everyone has the freedom to choose what they want to wear. Being Italian I have often rode in Italy in t shirt and shorts. All depends how much risk you want to take and if you prefer your skin on you or the road.....
Accidents happen when you least expect but if you are happy to increase risk of damage to your body then thats your choice. Most days I dress appropriately but that is down to a crash I had in my first year of touring in Europe. Without my leather jacket and kelver jeans I would have had a lot more than a broken rib and burn marks on legs.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

TC3 wrote:...if you are happy to increase risk of damage to your body then thats your choice.
I think you're twisting things around. It's not a matter of increasing risks (by taking motorcycle clothes off, I wasn't born with a motorcycle suit on) but decreasing risks by wearing protective gear. And the choice is not absolute, there are many levels of protection between 'non at all' and 'as much as possible'. So everybody chooses his/hers own level of protection. Just a choice that feels right, not something to be happy about.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Fair enough...it is up to you if you want to decrease the risk of losing some skin or breaking a bone :-)
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

decided to order the puig v tech line in black, pics to follow......when it arrives, 6 week wait ,gutted
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

I think it's very personal whether to wear protective clothing or not, but IMHO, wearing it is the smart way to go. We have a fairly mild weather here where I live, but I always wear helmet and gloves. I am, actually, looking at summer jackets to wear during summertime, and I want my jacket with shoulder, elbow, and back protections. I have seen what happens when you fall of a bike in shorts and T-Shirt, and believe me if I tell you that those guys had a bad time.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Just posted about a new summer jacket in the vear section if a.yone is looking.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Cascanciu wrote:I have seen what happens when you fall of a bike in shorts and T-Shirt, and believe me if I tell you that those guys had a bad time.
On the way to work today i saw a kid on a motorbike wearing just shorts. No t-shirt at all. First thoughts were wow what a silly bastard.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

Woolley wrote:
Cascanciu wrote:I have seen what happens when you fall of a bike in shorts and T-Shirt, and believe me if I tell you that those guys had a bad time.
On the way to work today i saw a kid on a motorbike wearing just shorts. No t-shirt at all. First thoughts were wow what a silly bastard.
They ride past my house all the time in just shorts (most of the time even without trainers) in anything like the sun shining! This last week has been silly for it! I'm very safety conscious so always think I have to, without doubt, wear my protective gear! I even feel vulnerable wearing trainers instead of my boots! And have only riden once without gloves and didn't like it. Its the thought of the pain and skin grafts!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

A guy and his girlfriend rode past me today on a quadbike wearing not very much at all, I've seen more substantial swimwear.
They were not wearing helmets or gloves or shoes.
This was in a main city centre street.
Nutters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong