Gear / Helmet discussion (split off from Ermax thread)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Gear / Helmet discussion (split off from Ermax thread)

Post by JGC »

Given the freedom of choice, on my Deau, full textile gear fullstop. On my PCX I wear textile jacket (just bought a new lighter HELD jacket) ski trousers in the morning if the seat is damp. If dry I don't bother. I realise the chance I take, and my normal commute is only 3 miles in speed limited zones. Any further it would be as per my Deau!
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

And like you demonstrate, it's really about how you use it as well. I have a relatively long commute, for which the extra trouble of putting on protective pants doesn't add a lot of time. The same effort feels a lot sillier for 3 miles, and in such cases I usually just put on helmet, gloves and jacket as well.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Ermax

Post by maddiedog »

Fiah wrote:As for the heat, a mesh jacket with protection would go a long way to help protect you without making you uncomfortably hot. And gloves, gloves are really the most important after a helmet!
Cost plays a factor here too. The PCX is a vehicle of economy for me. If I spend $500+ on gear, it mitigates the cost savings of the scooter. Don't get me wrong -- I own a halfway decent jacket and good gloves (wore them this weekend when I went riding in the mountains -- here's the route we took), but to buy a mesh jacket on top of that, protective pants, etc. just doesn't make any sense to me. I wouldn't even have the kevlar jacket if I hadn't gotten it secondhand for $40. I do agree that the gloves are a good idea, hand injuries are gnarly, and gloves are cheap.

At the same time, now that I think about it... I am a hypocrite, because I've spent $100 on an Ermax undertray, and $20 on aftermarket turn signals, both of which would have better been allocated to good gear. :lol: So much for economy...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

Maybe a good tip: Try and see if you can find second hand stuff! At least around here, some people who buy the gear end up never using it and then dump it on the market for peanuts. All the gear I wear was new, but I've heard enough stories of people getting theirs for cheap :)
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Second hand is very good option for a lot of things, bike gear included, of course. I bought my current mobile phone used (HTC Desire) and this way I'm free to move from this to that carrier since they haven't "subsidized" my terminal. However, just by looking for good deals a bit, and you can find decent jackets at affordable prices.

My Bering Aero jacket has been ordered today. It's already on its way!.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

I don't like the 'real' gear because it feels very uncomfortable to me.
But lately I've seen the jeans with kevlar patches around the knees and thighs (also jackets available). That looks a good compromise to me!

Has anyone experience with kevlar jeans or something like it?
How is the comfort when walking?
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I had Hood kelvar lined jeans but they felt heavy. I now have Draggin Jeans cargo pants. Very comfy and I have worn them all day at work at times. Check em out as they dont feel heavy and have good kelvar lining in important places
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

duive01 wrote:I don't like the 'real' gear because it feels very uncomfortable to me.
But lately I've seen the jeans with kevlar patches around the knees and thighs (also jackets available). That looks a good compromise to me!

you'll look like a history teacher with patches all over the place!!
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

louthepoo wrote:
duive01 wrote:I don't like the 'real' gear because it feels very uncomfortable to me.

??? ... The clothing is kelvar lined internally with no patches shown externally
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

TC3 wrote:I had Hood kelvar lined jeans but they felt heavy. I now have Draggin Jeans cargo pants. Very comfy and I have worn them all day at work at times. Check em out as they dont feel heavy and have good kelvar lining in important places
Thanks TC3, I will take a look at the Draggin Jeans!
louthepoo
Regular User
Regular User

Post by louthepoo »

TC3 wrote:
louthepoo wrote:

??? ... The clothing is kelvar lined internally with no patches shown externally
well that's just no fun!