First oil change, what oil to use question

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

super_g

Post by super_g »

I was changing the oil this weekend and not sure what oil to use. The manual mentioned 10w30/10w40 but not energy saving and then it recommends 10w40 motorcycle oil. The only 10w03 non energy oil is the high mileage oil. What oil does everyone use hear?

Thanks in advance

ps. The oil drain plug is a pain, must it be right next to the center stand.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: First oil change, what oil to use question

Post by Fiah »

10W30 is fine and I'd recommend it over 10W40 if you do not live in a hot climate.

As for energy saving oil vs motorcycle oil, that's a recommendation that stems from the wet (oil-bathed) clutches in most motorcycles. The PCX does not have a wet clutch and therefore does not care whether an oil is energy conserving or not. In fact, a good energy conserving 0W30 full synthetic could make a measurable impact in fuel consumption vs. the ubiquitous motorcycle 10W40,
ericpcx
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ericpcx »

I also see that they specify MB oil for a refill,went to look at motorcycle oils this weekend and could not find oil with "MB" specification
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

ericpcx wrote:I also see that they specify MB oil for a refill,went to look at motorcycle oils this weekend and could not find oil with "MB" specification
MB = Motor Bike perhaps, so any oil in Motor Bike section is how I would interpret that.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

JGC wrote:
ericpcx wrote:I also see that they specify MB oil for a refill,went to look at motorcycle oils this weekend and could not find oil with "MB" specification
MB = Motor Bike perhaps, so any oil in Motor Bike section is how I would interpret that.
False.

Oil with the JASO MA certificate is your classic motorcycle oil, meant for motorcycles with wet clutches. JASO MB oil (which is what Honda recommends) is motorcycle oil for motorcycles that do not have wet clutches. Think scooters, many BMWs, Ducatis, Harleys, you name it. Curious that it's a Japanese standard but all I can think about is European bikes.

What the difference between a regular car oil and a JASO MB oil is, I couldn't tell you. Just know that there have been several oils marketed as car engine oils that also were also tested for the JASO MA standard. So the fact that an oil is marketed as being for car engines doesn't mean it's automatically bad for your scooter!

Anyway, if you want to play it ultra-safe, any 10W40 motorcycle oil will do, and you can get those just about anywhere. Otherwise, I'd recommend a 5W30 'full' synthetic 'economy' oil.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Fiah knows his stuff, his advise is all good.

Honda recommends running synthetic only, so make sure you use a synhetic 10w30. Like Fiah said, we have a dry clutch in the CVT, so standard automotive motor oil will work just as well as motorcycle oil.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

I use the Honda brand HP4 10w40. It is certified JASO MB an is one of the only oils I have found available with this certification. Supposed to be one of the top certifications as far as slipperiness goes. It has a chemical additive called "moly." supposed to make it super slick. I like the stuff. About $8 or 9 a quart , but you only need one lol. Oh and the 10w40 cuz it's hot where I live.
ese12105
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ese12105 »

Forgot the m. HP4M. This is the one with the moly additive and MB certified.
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

What about this?:

http://www.redlineoil-europe.com/motoro ... il%5F00084

Looks like it's fully synthetic (ester based, AFAIK, all ester based engine oils are fully synthetic) and JASO MB compliant. To me, it looks like a better option than the other one available around here, which is the Castrol Xtra Scooter 5w-40, which is synthetic based. In fact, Castrol defines it as a semisynthetic.
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

The garage that services mine uses this.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165507
Cascanciu
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Cascanciu »

Alibally wrote:The garage that services mine uses this.
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165507
Looks fine as far as viscosity is concerned, but I couldn't see if it's JASO MB compliant. AFAIK, the difference between MA and MB is that MA is designed for bikes with wet clutches, whereas MB is meant for dry ones. Difference between the two is the lack of anti-friction aditives in the MA ones, therefore, MB should be more efficient at protecting the engine from wear. Feel free to correct me if this information isn't exactly right.