Braking on throttle roll back?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

daugava

Braking on throttle roll back?

Post by daugava »

I noticed one thing about PCX - it feels like it activates brakes
a bit when I roll back the throttle. This is especially noticeable
when I go over the hill and start going downhill.

My older bikes, like Vino 125 and Aprilia Scarabeo 150 don't do that.

Anybody else experienced this?

Can this be related to fuel injection?
If yes, I may have to choose between fun and fuel effiency
next time I am shopping for a scooter :)
Scooters2com.blogspot.com
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Braking on throttle roll back?

Post by Fiah »

I've never ridden another scooter, but I do know that the PCX does brake on the engine. If you close the throttle at speed, the back wheel is driving the engine and the engine does not consume fuel.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Yes the PCX does have a bit of engine braking when rolling off the throttle, doesn't bother me because my Deau which is a V twin has excellent engine braking, and I frequently get told off by following riders to 'dab' my brakes to warn them that I'm slowing down!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

JGC wrote: I frequently get told off by following riders to 'dab' my brakes to warn them that I'm slowing down!!
Sounds to me like they're following far too close and not reading the road ahead.
Tell em to f. off and get some lessons in roadcraft.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

gn2 wrote:
JGC wrote: I frequently get told off by following riders to 'dab' my brakes to warn them that I'm slowing down!!
Sounds to me like they're following far too close and not reading the road ahead.
Tell em to f. off and get some lessons in roadcraft.
No these are advanced riders like me, the Deauville has phenomenal engine braking (As do most V twins) and I can go through twisties without touching the brakes, which is off putting to the riders following, so a quick dab on the brake lever is enough to put brake light on to warn those following me!! It's a common issue with V twin riders apparently.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

They can't be very advanced if they can't tell that the vehicle in front of them is slowing down. :roll:
If they're sufficiently annoyed by it to moan at you then they are going too fast and/or following too close.
Going too fast and/or following too close, it's a common issue with riders who think they are a cut above the rest.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

JGC I know what you mean regarding v twin engine breaking. Makes for a lot of fun on the twisties... :-)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Yep same thing on the SV650 for me. Loved the engine braking but never once had someone try to bitch at me because of it.
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

When I'm slowing down with engine breaking I normally pull the break just enough to engage the light.
I would rather the car behind see that I'm slowing and not go into me. I know its the responsibility of the vehicle behind but you should treat everyone else on the road knowing that they are an idiot.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Yep goes without saying you should still hit the. Rake lever to warn those behind you that you are slowing down.
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

TC3 wrote:Yep goes without saying you should still hit the. Rake lever to warn those behind you that you are slowing down.
That was the issue with me, I wasn't hitting the brake lever at all, just rolling off the throttle. Good fun as has been said in the twisties though!!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I tap the brake light when I roll off the throttle, the CVT \ engine in the PCX does gear brake hard. Better safe than rear-ended.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes