$6 Walmart backpack bike cover carrier

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

$6 Walmart backpack bike cover carrier

Post by haildamage »

ive been carrying a bike cover to throw over the bike in the motorcycle parking lots at my various workplaces. the other riders and security guards tend to cram bikes together like bicycles. the security guys at one place go around and move small bikes like bicycles craming them together and putting them on their centerstands. i've noticed that by using a cover they wont put it on the centerstand and mess with it as much. it also helps keep the paint fresh by cutting the UV.

so there was no problem getting the cover into the topbox but after a particularly rainy day, not surprisingly the cover left half a cup of water in the topbox getting stuff wet in the bottom. of course it is also nice to have the space freed up by doing this as well.

so far the seat closes just as always and there havent been any problems with this.

Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: $6 Walmart backpack bike cover carrier

Post by Woolley »

They move your bike???
Id be chaining it to a post if that was the case. Cheeky bastards.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Woolley wrote:They move your bike???
Id be chaining it to a post if that was the case. Cheeky bastards.
yes, they try to manhandle and move the small bikes closer to eachother, and put them on the centerstands to sqeeze them closer together. its a good idea but if you chained it to a post theyd just make your bike the starting point for sqeezing the bikes together i am guessing.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

at least they wouldnt be moving your bike then. Can always put it sideways too.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Woolley wrote:at least they wouldnt be moving your bike then. Can always put it sideways too.
if that were possible i am sure they'd put some nasty stickers or warning signs on it. i think this is one of the many aspects of motocycle culture here in japan that is difficult to understand coming from a civilized western country.

the mentality is that motorcycles are all so small that they can be crammed into a tiny space, and must be so cheap that nobody minds a few scratches from the cramming together. of course cars are big and expensive and must be given proper space and respect. this is really annoying when i am on my big expensive F800GS!

for the most part the above is true in these parking lots as it is a university. however, it would be nice if they would make some faculty staff parking as we tend not to ride ratbikes like the students!

i'll take some pics when i go to that uni on friday and post them if i get some good ones.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I'm totally jealous of your 800GS, just hearing that you have one. They're such nice bikes.

I'm guessing you could stow cargo in a bag like that too... And for $6, that's ultra-cheap. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

maddiedog wrote:I'm totally jealous of your 800GS, just hearing that you have one. They're such nice bikes.

I'm guessing you could stow cargo in a bag like that too... And for $6, that's ultra-cheap. :)
the 800GS is an awesome bike. 4 years after they came out they are already sold out worldwide for 2012 according to my dealer. the engine is really sweet and so efficient for an 800 is does better than my DRZ400!

you are a pretty young guy. i am middle aged, so i decided it was time to buy a really expensive motorcycle, my ultimate dream bike and i am very happy with it. you'll get an awesome ultimate dream bike someday!
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

A culture where people just manhandle your brand new bike doesn't sound like one I would want to buy a bike in. I mean, would they really try and move a CBR1000RR just to free up some parking space? If you try'd and do that around here the owner would gladly redecorate your face.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Fiah wrote:A culture where people just manhandle your brand new bike doesn't sound like one I would want to buy a bike in. I mean, would they really try and move a CBR1000RR just to free up some parking space? If you try'd and do that around here the owner would gladly redecorate your face.
no they can tell what is a big bike and dont try to move the bigger bikes, just the scooters and very small bikes. the great majority of 'bikes' are 50cc. 125cc is the next most popular category. i park in the big bike area and put a cover on it. that way they cant see what they are dealing with and tend not to try to mess with it. i am not sure if they have tried to move mine but they have definitely taken it from the sidestand to the centerstand. in addition, i have seen them moving small bikes as if they were bicycles, but probably mostly 50cc bikes.

on the centerstand it is harder to cram bikes as close, so i feel a bit safer. indeed, these situations was a factor to consider when buying the PCX. however, i decided i really wanted a cool scoot and am hoping i can keep it nice as long as possible.