stop /start test

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

stop /start test

Post by trigg123 »

Hi
before anyone gets the wrong idea this is my finding for my commute and not saying it doesnt work ;)

Over the last month i decided to see if the start stop affects consumption on my commute
so my tank does me 10 working days / 120 miles with stop start on.
but with it off its exactly the same over the same period/120 miles

so in my situation the start /stop doesnt actually save me anything or if it does its only minimal

has any one else tried this??

as i say this is purely someting Ive tried and am not running the idea down or anything,more curious to see if anyone else had different results??

cheers Trigg
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Re: stop /start test

Post by JGC »

To be honest with my short commute, I don't think the stop/start would make any difference to my fuel consumption. I think if you were in a city with lots of stop start situations (such as traffic light/crossings) then it might make a difference there.
bromleyxjr

Post by bromleyxjr »

suspect honda put the stop/start system on the PCX more to get low emissions points than getting better MPG.
any engine that cuts out in queueing traffic , seems to be the way to go now.
i think the PCX is trying out systems which will move up to bigger honda bikes .
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I seem to recall the French website Scooter Station did an investigation and found that you will only save pennies.
For me the real benefit is sitting stationary in perfect peace, no noise and no vibes.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

also not spuwing out fumes (carbon monoxide etc) when you dont need to. But I must admit i turn mine off if I am just in stop start traffic where it would othrwise be stopping just for a couple of seconds.
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

I have noticed zero difference on my fuel economy and have it turned off for town driving.The reason for turning it off its a nightmare when flitering because it can cutout at just the wrong time and the small delay starting up again i find a bit dangerous hwen filtering through london traffic.When i need to go i need to go buts thats london driving for you.
On the other hand when im working in other parts of town with less traffic i leave it on as i have no problem with it cutting in at traffic lights etc.

What i dont like about it is if it cuts in and you stand up taking your weight of the seat the engine is completely cut out requiring a button start.This is obviously a pain in heavy traffic hence why i turn it off.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

al69 wrote:What i dont like about it is if it cuts in and you stand up taking your weight of the seat the engine is completely cut out requiring a button start.
Weird, this has never happened to me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

stop /start test

Post by Alibally »

gn2 wrote:
al69 wrote:What i dont like about it is if it cuts in and you stand up taking your weight of the seat the engine is completely cut out requiring a button start.
It happened to me as well. I was pointing uphill and the bike cut out. When I twisted the throttle nothing happened. What I found was because I had moved the seat hump back about 1/2 an inch when I sat right back into the seat the seat microswitch opened up and it wouldn't start. I have stuck a 1 mm thick piece of rubber on the seat were the switch hits so haven't had a problem since.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:
Thats cus your bagpipes are heavy enough to weigh the seat down at all times :lol:

Apologies for my racism...
ImageImage ImageImage Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Not racist at all mein herr, just misguided.
Bagpipes are played by a wide variety of folks from all corners of the globe, the biggest market for them is Canada.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

stop /start test

Post by Woolley »

Did not know that.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

after getting my seat modified (hump removed) I added a couple of strips of thin foam insulating tape to get the under seat microswitch to behave itself.
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

Well as i have modified my seat too so its humpless that would would explain things.