2015 PCX125 seat modification (taller)

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

2015 PCX125 seat modification (taller)

Post by pcxpower »

As I have mentioned in some posts, I didn’t fully enjoyed the driving position with the standard PCX seat and I missed a little bit more padding. I’m tall (185cm / 6.07ft) and I like/prefer to seat higher, so that my legs have a more “natural” position, and that's why I tend to modify my seats or purchase new, taller ones, if available ;)

The new PCX seat does not have a "hump", but the seating area of the driver is much lower (about 7cm (2.75in) than the passenger's, and therefore the driver cannot move from its designed space... :cry:

Here you have the "new" seat:

Its shaped now so that I can move around often, if I want/need to. Before, I felt “cramped” and now I feel better, having more seating options. One added bonus is that, having added about 7cm (2.75in) of foam between the PCX and the rider, the scooter filters much better the asphalt’s irregularities, so the PCX seems to have much better shock absorbers.

I have done the modification myself, and that’s why it does not look as good as if it came from the factory... Had this modification been performed by a (good) upholstery shop, the results would have been different, but at least I ride in comfort now! :D :D :D :D :D

I highly recommend to add more foam, if you are tall, as the difference is like night and day… The foam of the original seat and the original vinyl are not altered in any way, so when one sells the scooter, the seat can be returned to "Factory look" 8)
2015 Honda PCX 125
kcpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Candy Rosy Red

Re: 2015 PCX125 seat modification (taller)

Post by kcpcx »

Love it. They should come with something along these lines from the factory. More like an old Vespa seat.
'88 BMW R100RT
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks! The good thing of the original seat is that shorter riders can get to the floor without problems. It would be nice to have a taller/flat seat as an option, though ;)
2015 Honda PCX 125
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

pcxpower wrote:I have done the modification myself, and that’s why it does not look as good as if it came from the factory... Had this modification been performed by a (good) upholstery shop, the results would have been different ...
I wouldn't be too concerned because from your pics the quality of the work looks good. Congrats.

IMO I am not really liking the look of it. It appears to be a little to chunky for my taste, but based on your pics it does look like it significantly increases the potential for variable seating positions. Overall, a good job.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Thanks for the kind words, and yes, I'd also prefer the look of the original seat, as it's crispier, more proportioned and the seams very well executed. That's why I will return it back to original when I sell the scooter ;)

I almost always like the OEM pieces and accessories, as I prefer the stock, unmolested look, but in this case I choose function over form, given that the original seat is really hard, as it has only about an inch of foam and, to prevent the pilot from bottoming, the foam is very hard... :|
2015 Honda PCX 125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Very clean job pcxpower! You should be proud of yourself & your creation (not like Frankenstein :P )
At 5'5" I wonder if I could flatfoot the ground at a stop sitting on your seat. Do you think I could?
I'm envious of your extra padding, I bet it does make your ride more pleasant and...longer ;) nice!
Thank You for sharing
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
pcxpower
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pcxpower »

Hey! I'm glad that you like it! :D :D :D :D

The PCX like that is not going to win a beauty contest, but I can attest that the feeling is that it's a different bike... 300% (or more) improvement ;)

About your height, my inseam is 87cm (34.25in) starting at crotch to the floor and I would flatfoot even if the seat was 2 or 3 inches taller. The PCX is (in my opinión) a fairly low bike and the seat would admit much more foam for almost all riders.

You can easily test the height that would fit you: Place some towels/foam/similar object on the seat, at several heights, and sit on them to test if you can safely reach the floor. In my case, I placed several scrap pieces of foam and tested the scooter for some miles, noticing a great improvement from the very first meters :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I recorded a short video showing that the shape of the seat is not how it seems, as the vinyl "flies" over the foam:

And here you can see some pics of the seat, unveiled:
seat 01.jpg
seat 01.jpg (109.06 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
seat 02.jpg
seat 02.jpg (135.69 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
seat 03.jpg
seat 03.jpg (96.32 KiB) Viewed 5592 times
As you all can see, the 2014/2015 seat does not have a "hump", but has a "WALL" that is really tall!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
2015 Honda PCX 125
pattomike
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2017
Color: white

Post by pattomike »

Such a great thread, but only 7 posts. I wish it were longer.
onemac
Year: 2016

Post by onemac »

Awesome, nice work Dud ;-)