General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Hi to you all, just discovered this forum. A little surprised you don't have a section for new members to introduced themselves in, but hey ho who cares?
I own a PCX in white, bought it back in Febuary as a commuting bike. This is in addition to my regular bike (Deauville 700) The PCX is ideal for my short commute as I found the Deau just too heavy, plus my rideto work is all within a 30mph zone!
So far more than happy with it, with fuel consumption coming in at around 105mpg so far (Only had to fill three times so far)
One question though, is it worth getting the Givi taller screen? How much protection does it give? I do miss the protection the Deau screen gave me from the elements!

John
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Newbie

Post by trigg123 »

Hi mate
and welcome.....there are loads of screens around......down to personal choice/looke etc
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Hey.
Weve kinda been using the gallery section for that, but maybe maddiedog will put a section up.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Im happy with my ermax +25 screen which is 25cm higher than stock screen. Not quite as tall as tall Givi but in my opinion looks nicer. Pics elsewhere on this forum if you search.
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

I got the Givi tallest screen. My wife doesn't like the looks so I removed it for now. I'll put it back on when it gets chilly in Florida (it does happen here sometimes) as it does do a good job at preventing the wind from hitting the core of your body.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

will also stop those bugs from slamming into you!
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

jasontheparamedic wrote:I got the Givi tallest screen. My wife doesn't like the looks so I removed it for now. I'll put it back on when it gets chilly in Florida (it does happen here sometimes) as it does do a good job at preventing the wind from hitting the core of your body.
I'm planning a holiday to Florida, how warm is it in September/octoberish? Girlfriend loves Disney so wants to go to disneyworld lol
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The General section is as good as any to introduce yourself in, you did the right thing. :)

I think it's completely worth getting the taller screen. I've owned an Ermax, and tried the short Givi. The Ermax was nice, but didn't protect as much as I would have liked. The short Givi was worse than stock, because it just redirected ALL the air into my helmet, which made the ride unpleasant.

The tall Givi looks like it belongs on a snowmobile, but I like the way it looks and still get compliments on my PCX all the time. It keeps wind mostly off my hands, completely off my chest, and almost entirely off of my head. It is at the perfect height for me to just see over it too (I'm 5'10").

Tall Givi:

As for protection from the elements, the fairings on the PCX aren't too great at keeping you out of the elements anyways. If you keep moving and tuck down a bit behind the Givi, you'll stay mostly dry in the rain. It will be WAY better than stock, that's for sure. :lol:
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

Thanks for the replies. All I want from the screen is a certain amount of protection from the elements. Have gone and ordered what I now presume to be the standard Givi screen. I am not worried about the air being directed to head hieght, as this will aid rain drop removal from the visor ;)
Not too worried about weather protection else where as these are well catered for with good water proof gear (HG jacket in day glo, and good quality ski trousers bought dirt cheap from mountain warehouse) Loving the PCX for the short commute I do and it certainly complements my Deauville.
This is certainly looking a handy forum, a bit like www.deauvilleuk.org of which I am a member of too. :) :)
jasontheparamedic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jasontheparamedic »

@ Woolley...temps in Florida are typically still in the 80ish degrees F (29-30 degrees Celsius). Still pretty hot at that time of year. Bring plenty of water to Disney, as the lines for the rides are very long.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Damn. That is hot. Hot compared to UK temperatures anyway, gonna be awesome.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I went to Florida Disneyworld few years ago in the month of July and was not too hot that you cant enjoy it. The queues for rides are long but they move fast enough.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

queues should be shorter round octoberish though right?
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

I think once you get past Labor Day (the first Monday in September), the crowds are much more bearable. That is the rule at Disneyland anyway, and I'd guess they are much the same.
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Hiya,

I have the Givi ST screen and wish I had of gone for the full height "riot police" screen (the DT one). Evening thinking of switching back to the standard Honda one as the air blast now hits me at the top of my chest/bottom of the helmet. Noise is very nasty and buffeting not very pleasant for my 30+km commute, most of that at 80kmh.

Just have to get over the looks.

Nobody.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Nobody wrote:I have the Givi ST screen and wish I had of gone for the full height "riot police" screen (the DT one). .
Hah, "riot police" screen. I love it, I'm going to use that instead of "snowmobile" screen from now on. :lol: :lol:

By the way, welcome to the forums, Nobody! :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

JGC I forgot to welcome you to the forum :-)
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Hey Nobody
I bought off eBay a Windjammer 2 which attaches to the base of a full face helmet and is neoprene. It seals around your neck and cuts down helmet noise. Also keeps the cold off your chin!

IMG_0116 by TazPCX, on Flickr
Nobody

Post by Nobody »

Taz, have seen them before and will think about getting one - cheers for the tip. Have a Cold Killers Hot Hood balaclava + ear plugs that helps. Wearing a Caberg Hyper X modular and do take the front chin guard off when nicer weather / cursing around town.

May just save the $$$'s and get a bigger screen. Stuff the looks 8) , but for the commute it would make it more comfortable. And that is what my PCX is for.

@maddiedog: happy to be here...