Ferry crossing advice.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Ferry crossing advice.

Post by edscoot »

I'm planning a nice long trip around the coast of Scotland this year and I want to take in some of the Islands. What's got me thinking though is: How do I stop my scoot from falling over on the ferries if the sea's not flat calm? Do I need to bring my own straps and stuff to tie it to the deck or something?

Any advice much appreciated.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Ferry crossing advice.

Post by gn2 »

Any time I've used ferries tie-down straps or ropes have been provided on the ferry if required.
Chances are you won't need them unless you're going to Lewis/Harris or Orkney/Shetland.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Those are the islands I was thinking of. It will depend on wind speed and weather conditions etc. when I get near the ferry ports before I decide to go. I know they can get very windy.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Ferrys do provide straps but some of the guys are so heavy handed. I always insist on securing the bike myself to make sure of no damage
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

edscoot wrote:Those are the islands I was thinking of.
Hope you like barren bleakness.
Calanais is well worth a visit and last time I was there the Digby Chick restaurant in Stornoway was fabulous.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

We don't have ferries, but from what I've read on advrider.com, usually people put the bike on the kickstand away from cars, and strap it down tight. They say it's more stable on the kickstand than on the centerstand since it's already leaning over... Like I said though, that's what I've read, not personal experience.

I'm sure the attendants on the ferries know how to strap a bike down well, they could probably help you. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
JGC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by JGC »

I've nicked part of a reply from the Deauville forum about bikes on ferries and tying down
On P&O and Norfolk Lines cross channel ferries where we have never encountered more than a gentle swell, the crew always advised us to park on the main stand, with the legs of the stand slightly fore of the line between the two deck looks you use for the hooks on the ends of the straps. On ratcheting the strap hard down with the thick rubber cushion on the saddle, the bike is pulled onto its back wheel and can't roll forwards. Lock the steering to prevent any thrashing. We've never seen a bike fall over. On X-Channel trips the bikes face fore-and-aft along the keel of the boat.

However on a Holyhead-Dublin "fastcat" crossing, the bikes were loaded beam ends on - ie facing port-and-starboard and the crew said to park on the prop stand, again with the steering locked and the strap ratcheted hard down.

I think it depends on whether the bike is facing fore-and-aft or port-and-starboard. Either way lock the steering and pull the strap's ratchet as tight as you can. Remove any nickable items such as tank bags etc as we've had kit "go missing" whilst in transit.
The general conscencus from that forum is use the sidestand. As the PCX does not have 'gears' then another train od thought was to tie the front brake lever 'on' (cable ties or strong rubber bands work apparently)
There is a lot more advice on that forum, but then the Deau is a tourer.