Maintenance: what about the intervals?

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Maintenance: what about the intervals?

Post by duive01 »

I've ordered a new PCX 125. It's coming around the end of May. From the 10th of July I go on a long trip (maybe even up to 8000km/5000 miles or more). So I wondered about the periodically maintenance schedule.
I tought about riding 1000km in June so it can have it's first service before I leave. That one is important my dealer says.

Is it OK to drive 8000km with it and then let it have it's second service or do I have to do some maintenance while on the road?

My dealer says it's not a problem but I'm curious about your opinions.
I know there are many of you who change oil every 3000km/2000miles. That is OK to be on the safe side. But I've checked my oil on my Honda Lead and it's still nice clear after 4000km. I have a colleague who changes his car oil after 80.000 km when the garage says it should be done after 15.000 km!
I'm sure it's no problem for many of you to 'just change the oil' on the road but I'm not a technician. I'm already having trouble checking the oil! :oops:
So if I'm good for those 8000km and then let the dealer take care of the service that would be perfect for me. Otherwise I maybe have to find a Honda dealer along the way and get some service there.
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Maintenance: what about the intervals?

Post by Fiah »

Well, one problem could be that the engine has no real oil filter. It has a catch screen to catch some stuff, but no oil filter.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I just put this up for convenience: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

According to the manual, you need to replace the oil every 5000 miles and adjust / inspect the valves every 2500 miles (howto here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24). Those are the only two MAJOR maintenance tasks that occur over the interval mentioned.

There's no reason to replace your oil every 2000 miles, 5000 miles is good, 8000 miles is nearing the end of life of the oil. I only change the oil in my Honda Pilot and Ford Ranger every 7-8000 miles, and the oil usually still comes out clean. Like Fiah said though, the PCX doesn't have an oil filter like cars do, so I am planning on sticking to Honda's recommendations.

Many people that ride Yamaha Vinos skip every other interval or longer for valve adjustments with no ill effect (their interval is every 2000 miles). The PCX's engine isn't old enough for anyone to really say, but if people start finding that their valves are good every check consistently, skipping the checks may become the norm. But, for now, stick with the manual! You'll have to find a dealer to check your valves or do it yourself. :)

You should also consider tire life. The PCX doesn't have tires that dealers usually carry, and 5000 miles is roughly the life of a rear tire. Make sure your tires have enough life in them before disembarking.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I would learn to do the oil change if I was you. It's really quick and easy, and is about the best thing you can do to keep your engine in good condition - also, it's pretty cheap to do. I change mine every 1250miles.

As for your valves: Checking them is a pain - it takes ages and you have to fiddle about with the panels, screws, nuts and bolts, liquid gasket etc., etc.. I've checked mine 4 or 5 times now and they've never needed adjustment :) Checking them requires the engine to be left for a long time (overnight perhaps) to fully cool down. I simply wouldn't worry about them. I don't believe Honda dealers check them when your scoots in for service either.

Get yourself a torque wrench and the right size socket for the sump plug (can't remember off hand what size it is, 12mm?), a spare crush gasket for the plug (just in case it's needed) and you're all set.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Fiah wrote:Well, one problem could be that the engine has no real oil filter. It has a catch screen to catch some stuff, but no oil filter.
Does this catch screen a good a job as a filter? Or is a filter better? Why would Honda not use a filter if it's better?
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

maddiedog wrote:I just put this up for convenience: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=15&t=323

According to the manual, you need to replace the oil every 5000 miles and adjust / inspect the valves every 2500 miles (howto here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24). Those are the only two MAJOR maintenance tasks that occur over the interval mentioned.
There's no reason to replace your oil every 2000 miles, 5000 miles is good, 8000 miles is nearing the end of life of the oil.

You'll have to find a dealer to check your valves or do it yourself. :)

You should also consider tire life. The PCX doesn't have tires that dealers usually carry, and 5000 miles is roughly the life of a rear tire. Make sure your tires have enough life in them before disembarking.
5000 miles just about covers my trip so oil should be ok! But valves after 2500 miles? I leave at around 1000 mls and drive about 5000 mls so my tire wouldn't last either maybe?
Maybe I better find myself a Honda dealer halfway (or three-quarter) for some maintenance?
Thanks again Maddiedog
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

edscoot wrote:I would learn to do the oil change if I was you. It's really quick and easy, and is about the best thing you can do to keep your engine in good condition - also, it's pretty cheap to do. I change mine every 1250miles.

As for your valves: Checking them is a pain - it takes ages and you have to fiddle about with the panels, screws, nuts and bolts, liquid gasket etc., etc.. I've checked mine 4 or 5 times now and they've never needed adjustment :) Checking them requires the engine to be left for a long time (overnight perhaps) to fully cool down. I simply wouldn't worry about them. I don't believe Honda dealers check them when your scoots in for service either.

Get yourself a torque wrench and the right size socket for the sump plug (can't remember off hand what size it is, 12mm?), a spare crush gasket for the plug (just in case it's needed) and you're all set.
I don't understand why you change oil every 1250 mls while Honda says it should be done every 5000 mls? I think if Honda says 5000 that is already on the safe side.
I'm absolutely not checking the valves myself, I have the amazing ability to do damage to things I try to maintain.
Thank you Edscoot food the list of tools I should bring. Just have to translate it into Dutch to know what you mean. :oops:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

duive01 wrote: Why would Honda not use a filter if it's better?
I'm glad they don't.
Given that the engine only takes 0.9 litres of oil it's cheaper than filters.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

duive01 wrote:
I don't understand why you change oil every 1250 mls while Honda says it should be done every 5000 mls? I think if Honda says 5000 that is already on the safe side.
I'm absolutely not checking the valves myself, I have the amazing ability to do damage to things I try to maintain.
Thank you Edscoot food the list of tools I should bring. Just have to translate it into Dutch to know what you mean. :oops:

I didn't really make that clear. I change the oil half way between services.

I find working on engines and things therapeutic - except when it goes wrong. :)

Here's a torque wrench that suits your needs for changing the oil: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

You need one that allows you to set it at a fairly low torque - the one in the link is what I use for changing the oil.

And from the same place - sockets: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255215

If you're not planning to do much work on the scoot yourself then you don't need a full set, but you may find you start to enjoy it.

There will be many places near you where you can buy them :) See your Honda dealer for the crush gasket. As long as the original hasn't been over tightened when the sump plug was put in, the original should be OK. The sump plug and oil screen are different sizes so you'll need two sockets.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

duive01 wrote:5000 miles just about covers my trip so oil should be ok! But valves after 2500 miles? I leave at around 1000 mls and drive about 5000 mls so my tire wouldn't last either maybe?
Maybe I better find myself a Honda dealer halfway (or three-quarter) for some maintenance?
Thanks again Maddiedog
If you leave at around 1000 miles and get back at 6000 miles, your tires will still be okay, but very near the end of their life. My back tire has 5200 miles on it, and might have 1000 to 1500 more miles left. Some people's back tires last for less long than mine have lasted though, so you might need to change sooner.

You will probably be okay to go the entire time without stopping at a Honda dealer, but that might be risky, especially if you wear your rear tire down all the way!
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

I think I will make some waypoints (POI) on my navigation system (Garmin eTrex) for Honda dealers in the neighborhood of my trip. If anything happens which doesn't need immediate attention I can always visit such a dealer. Only have to work on my French and Spanish because I think they speak Dutch very well over there! :lol:
Thanks for the info!
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

edscoot wrote:
duive01 wrote:

I didn't really make that clear. I change the oil half way between services.

I find working on engines and things therapeutic - except when it goes wrong. :)

Here's a torque wrench that suits your needs for changing the oil: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_165469

You need one that allows you to set it at a fairly low torque - the one in the link is what I use for changing the oil.

And from the same place - sockets: http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stor ... yId_255215

If you're not planning to do much work on the scoot yourself then you don't need a full set, but you may find you start to enjoy it.

There will be many places near you where you can buy them :) See your Honda dealer for the crush gasket. As long as the original hasn't been over tightened when the sump plug was put in, the original should be OK. The sump plug and oil screen are different sizes so you'll need two sockets.
Thank you very much for this info. I'm not sure what I do with it because I'm really not a technician, two left hands we call it! I'm the kind of person that has trouble with checking the oil! :oops: