New engine on model 2012 PCX 125

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

duive01
Regular User
Regular User

New engine on model 2012 PCX 125

Post by duive01 »

I've ordered a PCX 125 in Holland which is meant to arrive at the end of May (because of floods in Taiwan earlier this year?).
Today I heard from my dealer that it will have the new engine, the eSP enhanced smart power engine. Improved durability, fuel economy, power and torque and quieter operation. I noticed the fuel tank capacity wasn't improved, was 6,2L and now 5,9L (I wished they built in a 15L/4 Gallon tank, that would be nice on longer journeys). Also slightly heavier, about 3kg.

Anyone has heard about his? Or experiences?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: New engine on model 2012 PCX 125

Post by maddiedog »

Yeah, there was a thread about it here: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=300

From the thread:
gn2 wrote:The combustion chamber is edited, the cylinder gets a new chemical treatment, the piston is reduced and cooling with a refined nouveal heatsink / fan.

It's a Google Translate of a French website, so the language is interesting.
It still doesn't give us much info, but I'm guessing they repositioned the spark plug or valves for a bit cleaner of combustion.

It's a good thing for you, they're saying the new engines will get slightly better gas mileage. :)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

duive01 wrote:I've ordered a PCX 125 in Holland which is meant to arrive at the end of May (because of floods in Taiwan earlier this year?).
Today I heard from my dealer that it will have the new engine, the eSP enhanced smart power engine. Improved durability, fuel economy, power and torque and quieter operation. I noticed the fuel tank capacity wasn't improved, was 6,2L and now 5,9L (I wished they built in a 15L/4 Gallon tank, that would be nice on longer journeys). Also slightly heavier, about 3kg.

Anyone has heard about his? Or experiences?
http://www.motorfreaks.nl/nieuws/motor- ... cx150.html
Verbeterde duurzaamheid, een gunstiger brandstofverbruik, meer vermogen en koppel en minder mechanisch geluid waren de uitgangspunten van het nieuwe eSP motorblok. Om dit te realiseren zijn flink wat nieuwe technologieën op het motorblok toegepast, waaronder het uit lijn zetten van de cilinder ten opzichte van de krukas voor verminderde frictie (iets wat Honda al eerder bij haar auto’s heeft toegepast).
Ook is het gewicht van de zuiger verlaagd, heeft de cilinderwand een speciale oppervlaktebehandeling gekregen, zijn glijlagers toegepast bij de tuimelaars en is het nokkenasprofiel aangepast. Verder is de nieuwe radiateur anderhalf keer zo efficiënt, waardoor een kleinere ventilator kon worden toegepast, hetgeen frictieverliezen met 30% heeft verlaagd. Tot slot zijn door verbetering van de lagers de frictieverliezen in de aandrijfunit met 20% verlaagd.
Dit alles heeft tot resultaat dat het vermogen van de PCX125 is toegenomen naar 11,7 pk (was 11,3 pk) bij 8.000 toeren, terwijl ook het koppel is toegenomen naar 12 Nm (was 11,56 Nm) bij 6.000 toeren per minuut. Geen schrikbarende verhogingen, maar wel genoeg om nu volgens Honda 47,4 kilometer ver te komen op een liter brandstof, waardoor met behoud van actieradius de tankinhoud tot 5,9 liter kon worden verkleind.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Thanks Maddiedog and Fiah,

Interesting story at motorfreaks, unfortunately for the rest it is in Dutch.
I would like to know how this translates to real life experience. Probably hardly noticeable?

The PCX 150 is also a nice improvement!
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

duive01 wrote:Thanks Maddiedog and Fiah,

Interesting story at motorfreaks, unfortunately for the rest it is in Dutch.
I would like to know how this translates to real life experience. Probably hardly noticeable?

The PCX 150 is also a nice improvement!
Probably hardly noticeable yeah. I mean, the difference between the new engine and the old is probably less than the impact of a screen, or wearing tight leather instead of textile. Also, at least for how I use the PCX (mostly a constant 55mph or 90km/h), a higher final drive ratio would have a much bigger impact.

It would be interesting to see if the real life fuel consumption (as seen on spritmonitor.de or fuelly.com) shows any difference.

edit: Making the tank smaller was a pretty stupid thing to do though. As it is, I could put a 12 liter tank to good use.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Fiah wrote:Making the tank smaller was a pretty stupid thing to do though. As it is, I could put a 12 liter tank to good use.
I wholeheartedly agree. When I'm on long trips, it's VERY annoying to have to fill up constantly because I don't know when I'll see another gas station. I wish the PCX had at least a 200+ mile range.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

The cheapest petrol around where I live is from one of those self serve, credit card only (no staff) places. It has a minimum delivery of 5 litres :(

I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these unmanned petrol stations in the future because of the saving on staffing costs etc. This will make life very difficult for anybody on a bike - I've got to wait for the last bar on the gauge to start flashing then ride 10 miles before I can fill up!
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Edscoot, I doubt you need to worry about the 'minimum delivery 5 litres' thing. I assume that's a sign on the pumps. I think that just means that the calibration of the pump is only accurate over 5 litres. You can take less than that but they can't guarantee the amount is totally accurate.

On the subject of the new PCX engine parts, I suspect this could just be Honda standardising parts between models (either the PCX 150 or the Wave) it makes sense for them financially.
Cookie
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

edscoot wrote:The cheapest petrol around where I live is from one of those self serve, credit card only (no staff) places. It has a minimum delivery of 5 litres :(

I wouldn't be surprised to see more of these unmanned petrol stations in the future because of the saving on staffing costs etc. This will make life very difficult for anybody on a bike - I've got to wait for the last bar on the gauge to start flashing then ride 10 miles before I can fill up!
theres quite alot of those where i live aswell.
ImageImage ImageImage Image