Carrying lugage on rear seat

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Carrying lugage on rear seat

Post by Taz »

Today I wanted to strap my mains electric drill/bits in its big plastic carry case to the back seat and failed. Tried rope and bungy cords but nothing to hook onto. I reckon I could buy one of those ratchet tie downs and slip the tie down webbing under the seat and around the item to carry.

Has anyone else worked out how to strap down items to the rear seat without having to buy a rack? I ended up emptying contents of drill case into helmet area under seat and carrying it that way.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Carrying lugage on rear seat

Post by gn2 »

You can hook onto the coils of the suspension, the undersides of the popped out pillion pegs, the rim of the seat and underneath the grabrail.
You can pass a bungee under the front of the seat hump, around the back of the grabrail or around the suspension.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Teamtd11
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Teamtd11 »

I was able to carry a boxed helmet for about 40 miles using some points near the passenger foot rests for the front bungee. For the rear one I think I attached it near to where the bodywork comes out for the rear indicators.
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

you could do as gn suggested. you could also try these http://www.amazon.com/UT-Wire-Reusable- ... B003P9W0RE

Poundland seem to be getting them sporadically at the minute, you get two (1 metre) ties for £1 that's what I call a baragin :)
it tastes like...Eagle!
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Without making or buying something it is not easy. I think the handles for passengers to hold onto are nicely designed for looks but not useable at all for strapping luggage. On other bikes I always used these handles to tie my stuff (roll bags) to the bike.
I see not much other possibilities than you already mentioned. But a Givi rack doesn't have to be expensive, does it? Certainly if you carry stuff regularly it is worth the costs?

Sorry, not very helpfull, I know :(
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Recently, the only way I carry anything on the rear seat is by attaching it to cargo on my rear rack...

Kinda like this: Image

I have put another backpack on top of that backpack, or put a bigger backpack there so that it is fully resting on the seat.

Before I had the rear rack, I would open the seat, put the midsection of flat bungee straps there, then close the seat and secure the cargo with the two remaining halves of the bungee cord. Does that sentence make any sense, or do I need to get a picture of what I'm talking about?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

@maddiedog
Is that a rack that is for sale somewhere of self made? Looks very usefull.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

I bought one, it didn't fit, so I modified it and the rear wing until it fit. Here's the post of me installing it: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=20#p29 I haven't seen a good aftermarket rack for the PCX yet. :( Mine's really useful though. Even though it was a total hassle to install, it was worth the effort.

If you want one, here is where I got mine: http://maithai-motorbikes.com/. They accidentally sent me the wrong one, so they told me to keep the wrong one for free, then sent me the right one. The part number on their site for the one I ordered was MM63, and the total cost was $166 USD.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Thanks maddiedog.
I'm not much of a handyman so paying 166$ for something I have to redesign is not something for me. But it's nice to see how you managed to make it work for you and it looks extremely useful. Thanks for your info
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

i need to get a case of 500ml water bottles home from costco this friday. i am hoping i will be able to stap it to the passenger seat by going under the seat and then latching it. will report back on how it works! otherwise i guess i'd have to use my ortlieb panniers.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

well i think it would be a bad idea to try carrying this without a rack. sorry, i know this thread started as "how to without a rack", but i gotta saw. you need to get a rack as soon as you buy this bike if you really wanna be utilitarian!

so here we have a bad pic of 24 500ml plastic bottles strapped onto the rear seat. i used a long static strap in a figure 8 - under the seat, around the back underside of the givi rack with topox, and over the case in an X.

the case fit nicely between the hump and the back of the topbox. however, it did not stick out far enough that i could easily touch it with my back.

sorry for the bad pics. i was in a hurry to get outta costco before the friday evening zombies over ran the place!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

FECKING WATER!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

Looks like that worked well... Was it completely stable on there?
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

Yep, this week fizzy water. Next week cola!

Yes, completely stable and secure. I think you shouldn't use bungees alone for heavy loads like this. You should use both static and bungees if possible or static only if thats all you have.
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

They can fit on a family of 4 onto PCX in Thailand or Vietnam. So a few bottles should be easy! I ended up buying a cheap $70 rack whilst in Singapore and am carrying it in my suitcase round UK at moment. here is the shop in Singapore:

IMG_0054 by TazPCX, on Flickr
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

Quote "I ended up buying a cheap $70 rack whilst in Singapore"

Unfortunately I never go there. They have a lot more stuff available for their bikes but ofcourse it's no wonder, most bikes over there are the only way of transport so it's necessarily they can take a lot with them.
I really like accessories like racks but found out that with a topcase and two rollbags (and perhaps saddlebags/sidebags) you can hold enough stuff to go on a trip for a few weeks, camping/cooking and all!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Scooter recovery Indian style:

maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord

Post by maddiedog »

o_O That's insane, how does he not flip straight off the back!?

haildamage - what do you mean by "static" straps? I've never had a problem with my bungees, and I've bungeed all kinds of things to my rack.
haildamage
Regular User
Regular User

Post by haildamage »

this weeks costco run:

by static i mean that it doesnt stretch. like the difference between a climbing rope that stretches to absorb a fall and a rapelling rope which doesnt stretch and is thus a "static line". 

bungees work very well and you might never have a problem. however, it is possible that they will stretch when you go over a bump, etc and your load could shift and become dangerous or fall off. of course it also has to do with the quality and properties of the bungee cords how well they work!

for lighter loads a bungee is fine. for heavy loads, i think you should use both for double protection. unfortunately i havent figured out where to connect the hooks on my 4 hook bungee buddy yet, so i have just used the strap alone.
duive01
Regular User
Regular User

Post by duive01 »

gn2 wrote:Scooter recovery Indian style:

I love these pictures! Ofcourse this is quite extreme but it reminds me of how spoiled we are, if we have to get a few groceries we take the car because it doesn't fit on our bike (we think!).