UK Insurance suggestions please.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

My insurance is coming up for renewal at the end of the month. I'm with Wicked Quotes. They're asking for £197 and £350 excess. I'm going to shop around for better and then see if they'll match it. Can anybody recommend their Insurance company for the the excellent service and the amazingly low prices they provide? :lol:

But seriously, I might well change company if there is a firm that can be recommended.

I took my scoot for a valuation at the dealers to help lower the insurance premium. A one year old PCX with full service history and 6500ish miles is worth £2000! I thought it would be more like £1500. I have mixed feelings about this. I want it to be lower for the insurance, but I'm glad its keeping its value quite well, though I can't see me ever selling it, it's just too much fun.
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Re: UK Insurance suggestions please.

Post by Esdain »

that sounds about right, i payed 178 with a 350 excess, i think it was with churchill
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Was that a valuation as a trade in or to just buy it from you...?
My insurance is with Dial Direct, cheap premium (under £100 fully comp with £150 excess) but they are not the best insurer, lots of naughty sneaky charges like when I moved house.... that'll be £50 please sir... Ker-ching!
Look at Carole Nash, they are a good insurer but not the cheapest.
When shopping for insurance always try some comparison sites like compare the meerkats and confused.com
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I paid 98 quid with 100 excess. Insured with Aviva through MCE insurance. Excellent service when I made a claim and highly recommend them
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

oh, i should have added, third party and on road parking insured, bumps the cost up a little, i miss my garage :(
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

TPFT can sometimes be more expensive than comp.
Apparently the kind of people who ask for TPFT are more of a risk...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

lol, i have always asked for third party coz on my last bike fully comp was silly numbers
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

gn2 wrote:Was that a valuation as a trade in or to just buy it from you...?
I'm guessing this is the price you would have to pay for a year old pcx. They looked it up in their Little Book of Trade.
Esdain wrote:oh, i should have added, third party and on road parking insured, bumps the cost up a little, i miss my garage :(
My insurance is for fully comp and the scoot is garaged when not in use, it's also alarmed (a Honda one), it's also pretty rural where I am, don't know if this would make much of a difference though - there seem to be people crashing and quite often dying in, their cars every other week hereabouts.

I've only got this past years no claims bonus cos I can't bring my cars no claims with me to the scooter's policy :cry:

Hey look - this is my 100th post.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

I hate being young. Im paying £500 fully comp with Lexham. Cant remember the excess though. Hopefully its alot cheaper come May when i hopefully (touch wood) have a years no claims. Still, its nothing compared to my car. £1600 for that TPFT.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Youth is wasted on the young. :lol:
Enjoy it while it lasts, all too soon you'll be a grumpy old fart. (like wot I am)
mac65

Post by mac65 »

Well I got a quote from Bennets for £66 and think excess was £250. Might be that I'm an old duffer though. having said that only got 3 years no claims as I fell off my Burgman 400 three years ago!! I ended up renewing insurance with Swinton for £100 as they through in extras!! Free life and legal insurance! Well free if you count it was £30 dearer than Bennets.. :roll:
Last edited by mac65 on Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:27 pm, edited 2 times in total.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Woolley wrote:I hate being young. Im paying £500 fully comp with Lexham. Cant remember the excess though. Hopefully its alot cheaper come May when i hopefully (touch wood) have a years no claims. Still, its nothing compared to my car. £1600 for that TPFT.
Your Golf isn't a GTi is it? I hate to think what you would have to pay if it was, probably double.

It seems car insurance is very high for young drivers and always has been, but in the last 10 years or so it's gone through the roof. I suppose it's not surprising given all the whiplash claims etc. Then there's the other stuff - a few years ago I got rear ended, a very slow impact that put a ding in the back of the car and one in the bumper, the driver who hit me was 19 or 20. Took the car to the BMW body shop. While sitting in the waiting room I picked a leaflet from Accident Exchange who said they would deal with all the stuff to do with the accident and provide a courtesy car. Long story short - the repair to my car cost a few hundred pounds, the cost of the courtesy car for 10 days use was over £3000 o_O It wasn't a Ferrari, just anther 5 series BM. The insurance company of the guy that hit me had to pay this. There is no justification for charging like this, in the end we all have pay for it with increased premiums.

Having said that, I'm paying £257 fully comp for a BMW 528 (shortly to be on ebay) which is OK, but then, I'm 45.

Hey gn2 - I've been grumpy all my life, age has just increased my grumpiness, I expect to reach a zen state of grumpiness sometime in my 60s.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

Nah not a gti, no way I could afford that. Its a tdi. Wouldn't really want one either, I bought the tdi for the fuel economy. Plus the fact it's an auto and im impressively lazy.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

im 36, i am paying £400 a year for fully comp as i commute in london
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

edscoot wrote:I took my scoot for a valuation at the dealers to help lower the insurance premium. A one year old PCX with full service history and 6500ish miles is worth £2000!
Hmm. A PCX with only 95miles on the clock has just sold for £2000 on ebay.