nearly came off again tonight, wheel slipped again. no brake

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

on local roads today and felt my bike slip just going along, managed to keep my balance as bike tried to unbalance this time but jerked my shoulder which is now sore, but the wheels seems really slippy and no lines or drains etc. but still if i just ride along lines and low speed i can feel the wheels slipping more than im sure they should, i see many other bikes have no issues.

:x

very concerned now
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Re: nearly came off again tonight, wheel slipped again. no b

Post by Esdain »

say hello to Honda's stock tyres :P just go steady, my old 125's tyres were dreadfully slippy on wet roads yet the 100cc i had before that handled the same roads in worse conditions so much better, dimensions were the same so it could only really be the tyres
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Ditto.

Stock tires arent that good in wet conditions. Michelin makes some great tires for the PCX and that brand is always good in wet weather. For me, we have over 300 sunny days a year... so I'll save money and get the cheap stock ones for now =]
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

It's been quite frosty today which can make things interesting, also the roads are pretty greasy as well - if there's any diesel on the road with water on top then you'll get a nice surprise. I'm using michelin city grips and although they are better than the IRC they're not immune to slipping. It's winter so we've gotta be careful.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

woozy - whats your road conditions lately?
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

today was dry, this morning was frost but locally seems fine. its tonight in dark i nearly came off again tonight is quite chilly. the road it slipped on is a long industrial road which i go on to my sailing club, lots of lorries use it

how much are better tyres? i think ill invest and get the bike shop i got the bike from to install them

these current ones are atrocious
rockansky62

Post by rockansky62 »

The stock tyres aren't bad to be honest.

If you learned in the 60s/70s then got morphed to present day and rode on them you'd think they were racing standard! :D

I wouldn't waste your money changing them. The placebo effect of extra confidence might help, though.

Personally I'd spend the same amount of money on an off-road day and learn to deal with and correct slides without learning the lessons on your own bike on crowded roads.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

woozy-uk wrote:long industrial road ~ lots of lorries use it
Diesel.

I have been riding motorbikes since the mid 1970s and imo oem PCX tyres are perfectly acceptable.
Sounds to me like you just haven't developed the ability to sense grip levels.
As you become more experienced you will be able to predict where and when the grip will be reduced and ride accordingly.
No tyre, no matter how good it is will grip on a wet white line or manhole cover.

Regarding wet white lines and shiny tarmac joints, I think the reason these feel so bad is twofold.
1: they are raised which has the effect of making the front tyre turn towards the line as it comes into contact with it
2: then it slides on the wet slippy surface.

Here's my tips for winter riding:
1: try to keep the bike as upright as possible at all times
2: gentle control inputs at all times, try to control speed with engine braking
3: look at the whole width of the road surface, are the puddles icy at the side?
4: when braking, rear brake first and gentle with the front
5: leave early and take your time, better to be late in this world than early in the next
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

I'd wait until you need to replace your IRCs before buying Michelin or maybe by then Pirelli Diablos (costs aren't much higher). You'll get about 5000 miles out of your rear and much higher miles out of the front. As for grip the Michelin City Grip is much better cornering on wet roads than the IRC absolutely no doubt.

Have you checked your tyre pressures? If you're getting this skidding for apparently no reason, put the scooter on the stand and have a look at your sump plug - is it properly tightened? Have you checked your oil level recently? Its not very likely that you're leaking oil unto your own wheel but it very nearly happened to me - the sump plug wasn't even finger tight, just rattling on its threads :o . Also, if there is lots of HGV traffic on the road then diesel and oil will likely be present.

But an off road course would be worth doing - you'd learn skills that you would keep for life and have a lot of fun as well - don't know how much a course costs.
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Woolley »

gn2 wrote:leave early and take your time, better to be late in this world than early in the next
Words from the wise.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

gn2 wrote: Here's my tips for winter riding:
1: try to keep the bike as upright as possible at all times
2: gentle control inputs at all times, try to control speed with engine braking
3: look at the whole width of the road surface, are the puddles icy at the side?
4: when braking, rear brake first and gentle with the front
5: leave early and take your time, better to be late in this world than early in the next
I +1 all of this. Great tips... Never be in a hurry when riding, it's a quick way to end up in the hospital.

The IRC tires are crap, but they're completely functional. I've ridden my bike through the gnarliest of twisties, offroad, and accidentally over a few patches of ice with no issues so far. With nearly 4500 miles on them though, the rear will need replaced soon.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

I agree with everything said about Winter riding, I've been riding a long time and still occasionally get caught out by unforeseen hazards.

I would add one thing to everything said.

Check your PCX regularly, it may seem trivial but even a small thing missed can cause problems while riding.
Important things to check:
Tyres: As Edscoot mentioned - make sure pressures are correct and also no damage is visible, check weekly for wear.
Brakes: Check your front disc for damage - grooves, uneveness and pits in the disc, worn and damaged pads can all cause your brakes to snatch and the wheel to lock. Low brake fluid levels can cause erratic braking as well.

Keeping your PCX clean might sound trivial but you can spot problems easily if everything isn't caked in crap and disguised with mud.
it tastes like...Eagle!
nasnikos-Greece

Post by nasnikos-Greece »

Replace the IRCs. It's a cheap tyre, only suitable for dry road!
Now you've got 2 options: PIRELLI and MICHELIN.
I've got the PIRELLI since June 2011. Perfect! Nothing to do with the IRC.
I've heard many good comments for the MICHELIN. Many friends of mine have already installed them.
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Anyone who says the stock tires are crap are talking out of their ass. While you may get more grip in the wet with a better tyre it still comes down a lot to riding within the limits of road conditions. Of course we cant see diesel or black ice too easily but what tyre will save you in those situations.
I will switch to a better tyre when the stock ones need changing but would not change em just for the hell of it.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

nasnikos-Greece wrote:Replace the IRCs. It's a cheap tyre
You've not tried buying one in the UK.
Things have improved recently, but last year I had no alternative but to pay £70 for an IRC rear.
The wear rate on the IRC is testament to the soft (sticky) compound.
It really is an OK tyre, the scrapes in my bodywork are proof enough for me.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

thank you all for the excellent feedback and input

i am heading into the michelin city tyres depending on price. like what gn2 said getting parts for the pcx in the UK is annoying and expensive
nasnikos-Greece

Post by nasnikos-Greece »

TC3 wrote:Anyone who says the stock tires are crap are talking out of their ass. While you may get more grip in the wet with a better tyre it still comes down a lot to riding within the limits of road conditions. Of course we cant see diesel or black ice too easily but what tyre will save you in those situations.
I will switch to a better tyre when the stock ones need changing but would not change em just for the hell of it.
Ok, when your stock tyre need changing, go for it.
Only then, you'll understand the difference. Only then, you'll feel the safety under your wheels.
I'm talking out of my ass! :lol:

Although, you can buy the IRC again! It's a good tyre.
rockansky62

Post by rockansky62 »

woozy-uk wrote:thank you all for the excellent feedback and input

i am heading into the michelin city tyres depending on price. like what gn2 said getting parts for the pcx in the UK is annoying and expensive
Personally I think it's a waste of money...but it's your money and odds on you won't make the bike worse so feedback how you get on. :D
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

nasnikos-Greece wrote:
TC3 wrote:Anyone who says the stock tires are crap are talking out of their ass. While you may get more grip in the wet with a better tyre it still comes down a lot to riding within the limits of road conditions. Of course we cant see diesel or black ice too easily but what tyre will save you in those situations.
Ok, when your stock tyre need changing, go for it.
Only then, you'll understand the difference. Only then, you'll feel the safety under your wheels.
I'm talking out of my ass! :lol:

Although, you can buy the IRC again! It's a good tyre.
I know the difference a decent tire can make. I put Pirelli Diablos on my sv650s when the stock tires needing changing and they gave better grip then the stock tires which encouraged more leaning. However the stock tires were not bad at all.
And stop talking outta yer ass :-)
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

right as i commute daily and im very nervous on the current tyres i have ordered some Michelins from my local bike shop where i got the bike, i have done 3000 miles on it now so its due a service too

many thanks for all the valid input it is most appreciated

thankyou