PGM-FI Problems.

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

PGM-FI Problems.

Post by edscoot »

I've just repainted my exhaust system. After refitting the exhaust I let the engine idle for 15mins to cure the paint (as per the instructions on the paint can), before setting off for a half hour ride to get the paint fully cured at full operating temp.

Anyway, I set off and then realised that the speedo had stopped working, then shortly after the pgm-fi light flickered on. I stopped and restarted OK but still no speedo and then the pgm-fi light came back on :( . The light doesn't stay on all the time - when coming to a stop the light will go out. I'ver checked the fuses for the speedo and all seems OK, besides, when turning on the ignition the speedo will flick around the dial as normal. The exhaust is properly fitted and torqued - but i can't see why this would affect the speedo.

I didn't go for the ride needed for the paint and have booked into my Honda dealer to see what they can find. Any ideas?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: PGM-FI Problems.

Post by gn2 »

Have a look to see if you've dislodged any connectors when you removed the pipe.
Did you use a new exhaust gasket?
Try leaving the battery disconnected for 15 minutes and try again.
The speedo is driven by info from a speed sensor which I think also provides info to the fuel injection.
If you have knocked the speed sensor connector loose that might explain it.
Don't think it's a good idea to leave it idling for so long, maybe something has overheated.
Good luck...
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

It was a fault on the speed sensor. It's being fixed under warrantee :)

Mention of wires made me think. Under the under seat storage box I noticed one of the cables (left hand side), was partially squashed by one of the mounting bolts for the box. It seemed deliberate in order to hold the cable in place. Am I wrong? Has anybody else noticed this when they've been doing their valve checks? The cable was only "nipped" on one side. Not a very satisfactory way of doing things if it is deliberate. I might botch some kind of better fixture using an electrical connector or something.

I looked around the net for answers to the pgm-fi light coming on and it seems to affect a large number of 1987 preludes and accords for some reason.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Hmm, I never noticed that on mine. All cables for the rear were clipped to the frame, nothing seemed pinched...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

I too have removed my exhaust twice, and didn't notice anything special when it comes to connections.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Hi, looking at the following pic (taken from the How to: Adjust your valves) the cable is in fact the breather pipe - being pointed to. You can see the bracket where the pipe is pinched to the right of his hand (how'd he keep so clean? I'm usually covered in dirt, oil and blood by the time I get to this point),

You can see the breather pipe running from the engine under the bracket in this pic. Mine is pinched to this mounting seemingly deliberately. It doesn't seem to be suffering because of it and still allows it to function.

PGM-FI: Not so long ago the pgm-fi/ecu had to be reset because the engine had started to idle really fast. You had to keep the brakes on when you came to a stop. I hope I haven't got a dodgy one if I'm getting these problems. Since my last post the speedo started working again and the light went out all by themselves. The part being ordered by the garage is on back order so I'll have to wait. I've done about 150 miles since all this and the scooter seems fine.
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

:oops: Eddie I have realised it's your hands - seriously, how do you keep your hands so clean? Maybe California isn't as wet and muddy as Cumbria? :)
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Hey edscoot! I noticed how the breather hose almost got caught in the mounting the last time I assembled, so I always make sure the breather hose is free of this area. I dont believe honda would do that intentionally. Whoever assembled your bike either thought that was where it went, or didn't notice it being caught as he assembled. After clearing the breather hose, did this solve your issue? Good to hear the bike has sorted itself out. Maybe you wont have to take it to the dealer after all. The only thing I hate about intermittent problems, is it always seems to fail when you need it most. Lets hope this was just a hiccup =]

I think I took those pictures the very first time I did a valve adjustment, around 800 miles. The scooter was still very new so it wasnt that dirty. You're also only seeing the back side of my left hand... my palms and right hand get pretty dirty =] I'm sure the roads have a lot to do with it too. Im in a concrete jungle, with nothing but paved, mostly well maintained roads on my way to just about anywhere. All the streets get cleaned here at least once a week =] I guess we do have it pretty nice :lol:
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

When I took the scooter to the dealer they said there was a cable going to the ecu that was pinched somewhere and may have had a break in it. I don't know which cable they were talking about though. From the finger prints left on the panels I would say they only took off the right hand one under the foot rest. The breather pipe doesn't seem to be affecting anything, fingers crossed, as its been like that for over 6000 miles. I'll free it soon and secure it with a tie clip or something.

I've recently had nearly all the panels off so I could rust proof the frame etc. It maybe I've caught a cable when I put the panels back on, though I was very careful not to.

Does anybody know where the ecu is and what it looks like?
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

even if the breather hose had a puncture, it wouldn't really do anything to your engine, a piece of electrical tape to seal it back up would do just fine. Don't really know where the ECU is.... But a pinched cable is making sense to me.. Let me see what info I can get for you and ill send you a PM
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

:)

Your message contains 2 characters. The minimum number of characters you need to enter is 10.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

PM sent! Should have a diagram to help you out. Please report back here if you find anything!
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

It now seems certain that the breather pipe should be routed under the bracket. If anyone reading this is going to be removing their storage box anytime soon make sure you check your pipe hasn't been pinched as mine was.

I've doing a huge amount of reading recently ;) And I've come to the conclusion that the PGM-FI is not something I'm ever going to tackle - carburettors and hammers are about my mechanical limit - the ecu may as well be black magic. Mine is now working fine. Having looked at a load of diagrams I can't see where the ecu/pgm-fi cable was pinched, but there you go. I think the speedo/light thing was simply a coincidence with refitting the exhaust.

When I re route the breather pipe I'll have a look around for the pgm connector block and make sure its clean and dry.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Those diagrams are handy, aren't they? ;)

At least your issue is gone... Did you actually change anything, or did it magically fix itself? (darn computers)
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

The dealer fixed it when they freed the cable, though I'm not sure they knew they had fixed it as they ordered a new part for me. Their parting words were "take it easy" meaning speed wise - thinking I still didn't have the use of the speedo. When I left the garage everything was working again and has continued to do so. :D