Not such a good start to the New Year!

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

mac65

Not such a good start to the New Year!

Post by mac65 »

Well been using the PCX most of the time through the winter as we have had really mild weather. So after the holidays it was back to work on Wednesday, 6 am!! (Scoland we get an extra day!!) I checked the weather before heading off and it was 3 to 4 deg C above freezing, no obvious frost. Car windows were all clear etc. So off I set on my 5 mile trip to work. Everything going fine, didn't feel to cold. So in to the industrial estate (mileometer just turned 3333 miles) and up to the last junction, left turn at the lights, which were at green, so left turn gentle acceleration up the hill. Next thing I know I'm on the deck and the PCX is sliding along the road! BLACK ICE. Two cars drove past and just left me to it! Nice one... So I've now got a few scrapes on my now not so shiny scoot. Any one any ideas the best place to get replacement panels? Oh by the way I'm fine just a bruised ankle! And a bruised ego!! :oops:
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: Not such a good start to the New Year!

Post by Woolley »

Good to hear your ok, im terrified of this happening to me one day. In my short 3 years driving im already on my third car, cant afford to write off a bike aswell.
You can get parts here: http://www.hondapartsnation.com/pages/OemParts#
There or ebay, or dealers.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

shit man, that sucks, glad you are ok. Wooley is right about the panels but i warn you, they ain't cheap. my bike got vandalised over the xmas period and all but 4 panels are needed, i am leaving it for the winter just in case i do come off and i'll get it sorted for the spring
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Thats bad luck mate but thankfully you are not too hurt. May be worth getting a complete set off ebay. Some panels in some colours ate on backorder here in uk. I am waiting for left side panel in black myself.

Tony
rich666
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rich666 »

Not good mate, glad you're okay and that your PCX has only suffered cosmetic damage.
Shopping about on Ebay or asking your local dealer(s) how much is a good start.

(I'm scared that me and my PCX will end on our respective arses at some point with black ice which is why I got my cheap little ratter Sym scooter for the winter months.)
it tastes like...Eagle!
mac65

Post by mac65 »

Had a look online last night and the 2 panels that need replacing would cost about £130 in total, that's from Bournemouth Honda. I assume that is standard Honda prices, if so will order from my local garage. But as Esdain said I'll wait till spring to replace them. Might replace mirror to as it's scratched too! All the joys of scootering!!
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

That's a load of cash for a few scratches.
I say wear your battle scars with pride and save save save!
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

gn2 wrote:That's a load of cash for a few scratches.
I say wear your battle scars with pride and save save save!
I second this...

This way, if it happens again, you can just pick it up and keep on going! At least you'll have a good story to tell when people ask =]

Good to hear you didn't hurt yourself! Be careful out there everyone!
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Glad to hear you're okay.

The only time I went down was black ice too. It was down a steep hill... The SUV in front of me spun out on it and bounced off cars parked on both sides of the road (it was a one-way street). I was following at a good distance, but couldn't stop in time. I rode onto it, started to accelerate from the downhill + ice, and so I immediately dug my left foot down and brought the bike gently onto its left side. Pegs dug in, and the bike scraped to a stop. I had to give a homeless guy my gloves in exchange for him helping me down the hill...

I kept the battle scars on that bike, but they weren't too bad. Any chance of buffing them out, or touching the paint up?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
mac65

Post by mac65 »

Well going to have a look at it at the weekend. Will see if the worst will polish out. Good thing is plastic is black under the paint so doesn't show to bad. Got some really fine emery cloth so will try polishing it with that. Also got micro-mesh, used by military for polishing aircraft canopys, so that should give a fine finish. Might just leave replacing panels until I trade in, if it makes a lot of difference to the value..Well unless I make a complete hash of trying to repair it!! :lol:
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

Would have left mine if the others insurance had not paid for it but mine were cracked not just scratched. The black paint does hide the marks pretty well.

Tony
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

im after panels too after coming a cropper last thursday in the strong winds and rain.
mac65

Post by mac65 »

@ woozy-uk. So what happened? Hope your all right. I got prices for the panels from Bournemouth Honda's website. They have a great parts list. Been looking in to repairing mine. Found some one that can supply the correct paint. So will see how I get on cleaning up the panels.
woozy-uk
Regular User
Regular User

Post by woozy-uk »

came off mine due to the bad road conditions last thursday (after riding it for only 2 weeks) on the way to work in rush hour in london, so am very lucky it wasnt worse. had concusion and bruising after, i was most scared coming too after being helped up about the bike condition and not seeing out my right eye at first, it was the right side i landed and skidded down the road on as the front wheel took off. i scuffed the right side of the bike, and lots of plastic around the passenger footpeg gone as well as the front right fender coming away from teh headlight, ironically i got the bike for £1600 due to the previous owner scuffing the other side including the passenger peg plastic as well as the left fender but not as bad as i did. :(

pics here=

http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=189