Poor gas mileage

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Poor gas mileage

Post by AustinPCX »

After having put 700 miles on the scooter, I am consistently only averaging 80 MPG. I am 6'1" tall and 185 lbs. The only mod so far has been a Givi 322 windscreen, which hasn't affected the mileage at all. I use the scooter mainly to commute to work 4 miles each way and never have the throttle wide open for more than a few seconds. I recently changed the oil but haven't done a valve check yet. Any suggestions?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Poor gas mileage

Post by gn2 »

80 US mpg is about right, it's almost exactly what I have averaged over a few thousand miles.
Manufacturers consumption claims are never guaranteed.
To get the maximum 130 (imperial) mpg you need to use part throttle, ride slow on flat ground in still air and weigh next to nothing.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

Im also in the US and 6' 1" and get on average 75-80 mpg... More than twice the gas mileage of my last motorcycle, and 4 times the gas mileage of my toyota tacoma.

Thats no problem for me. :lol:

whats you're average speed limit on the way to work?

Also, I would suggest that you get that valve adjustment done. It's not dire just yet, but I would put it on your to-do list. You can pay the dealer, or save some dough and do it yourself. Heres a how-to: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=24
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I get about that mileage running at 60 on the highway, fully loaded with all my camping gear and dog... That's nearly 300lbs riding at the limiter for extended periods of time. I doubt my tall windshield makes that big a difference.

When I'm loaded with just me and a backpack, it's around 165lbs total, and I get nearly 100mpg in US gallons (96.4mpg exact). That figure is for normal travel in 40-50mph stop and go traffic. When I ride, I hardly ever use full throttle and am very gradual with acceleration and deceleration.

Your bike isn't fully broken in yet, so that will make some difference, but shouldn't make much. Also, like Eddie said, if the valve spacing is far enough off, it can affect efficiency and power.

Are you hard on the throttle? That would cause low mileage pretty easily...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

I usually ride the bike between 40 and 60 mph on my way to work and i'm not too easy on the throttle.
rainburg
Regular User
Regular User

Post by rainburg »

We haven't managed to break the 100 mpg mark, but we have consistently been in the high 90's. Our most recent tank we got 98.2 mpg. The local roads we ride on have a speed limit the 35-40 mph range most of the time, so we very rarely if ever go above 50 mph and much of the time we are in the 35-40 range because of traffic flow. Like Maddiedog said we try to avoid hard acceleration or deceleration, and that may help as well. I'm not about to reveal my height or weight :lol:
2011 Honda PCX, 2007 Suzuki Burgman 400
2 Honda Civics, 5 bicycles and 1 more on order
edscoot
Regular User
Regular User

Post by edscoot »

Have you had your 600 mile service done yet? It might improve after this. I guess if you ride in city traffic only then you may use more fuel. I've had 132mpg (imperial gallons), once - never full throttle, smooth riding on country roads (but these were quite hilly).

Spend the next week riding really smoothly and make sure you have the idle stop thing on. If you don't get an improvement then maybe you have a problem that needs your dealer looking at.
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

we dont have the idle stop feature here in the USA. So this may contribute to our gas mileage being lower
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

The stop start only makes any difference in congested city traffic, even then it's very minimal.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Poor gas mileage

Post by AustinPCX »

My dealer wants about $400 for the first service check, so I will wait for a nice day and do it myself using EddieC's helpful how to and save myself about $395. I don't think I'm too hard on the throttle but I'll keep an eye on it for a while.
Esdain
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Esdain »

if you do it yourself then you can pretty much kiss your warranty goodbye $400 for a first service seems very steep tho
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Consumer law is different in the USA, the caveats about warranties and servicing may not apply in the same way?
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

exactly. We have many laws protecting the consumer in this country, and the only way this would void your warranty is if they could prove that it was a direct result of your actions that caused damage or failure of a service item. Dealerships are known to lie to your face here and tell you otherwise, but call HONDA USA and they will have your back every time.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by gn2 »

Very different in the UK, to maintain a warranty the servicing must be carried out to the published servicing schedule and the work done by a VAT (tax) registered business.
al69
Regular User
Regular User

Post by al69 »

Considering im not using the stop start function and carry a heavy almax chain eveywhere im still getting 100 mpg average.Not bad considering its all stop start city commuting.

Now something worth bearing in mind is that i broke the scooter in by really giving it some for the first 20-30 miles NOT following the manufacturers recomendations.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
Woolley
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Poor gas mileage

Post by Woolley »

al69 wrote:Considering im not using the stop start function and carry a heavy almax chain eveywhere im still getting 100 mpg average.Not bad considering its all stop start city commuting.

Now something worth bearing in mind is that i broke the scooter in by really giving it some for the first 20-30 miles NOT following the manufacturers recomendations.

http://www.ntnoa.org/enginebreakin.htm
I used the same break in method, and my mpg is shown in my sig. About a quarter to a third of my commute is done on a 60mph dual carriageway, and the rest is stop start.
ImageImage ImageImage Image
EddieC
Regular User
Regular User

Post by EddieC »

To the people reading this thread remember: the US gallon is smaller than the UK imperial gallon. Hence, the US gas mileage number will be lower. The consumption is about the same
Cookie

Post by Cookie »

Don't forget also that your commute is only 4 miles each way. It takes a couple of miles for the engine to warm up properly and, until it's properly warm, the mpg will be lower.
Cookie
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Cookie wrote:Don't forget also that your commute is only 4 miles each way. It takes a couple of miles for the engine to warm up properly and, until it's properly warm, the mpg will be lower.
Cookie
Hmm, good point.

AustinPCX, can you go for a long ride and see if MPG is better?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
AustinPCX
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Poor gas mileage

Post by AustinPCX »

I just got back from a 30 mile round trip tonight right through the middle of downtown Austin which I do every Sunday. That's about my limit so far.