Bought New PCX150

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

wolf39us

Bought New PCX150

Post by wolf39us »

Today I purchased a brand new 2013 Honda PCX150 (Black) to replace my 2009 Kymco Super 8 150. Love this new bike and it's hot looks! For about the same price, I passed up a Aprilia SC250 Cube, which would have been better on the top speed portion of things, BUT it's not the Honda lol.

About once a month I plan on taking the bike about 55 miles one way to my dads house. The backroads run 45-55 mph average. I find the bike, so far, to be quite comfortable... but may take issue with the hump in the seat (nothing the accessories market can't fix!). Am I safe running the bike 55-60 miles one way at 50-55 average?
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Re: Bought New PCX150

Post by maddiedog »

Welcome, and congrats on your new PCX!

Scooters (especially Hondas) are conservatively tuned, and okay running near the limiter for extended periods of time. I've spent roughly half of my PCX's 7000 mile life so far at the limiter. Make sure to check your oil regularly and not to neglect maintenance, and you'll be fine.

At that speed (at least in my opinion), a windshield is a must. Givi and Ermax make good tall windshields, there's a few good threads on windshields on the Accessories subforum: http://hondapcx.org/viewforum.php?f=7
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

Thanks for the suggestion, I'll look for a windshield that still looks sexy on the bike :-)
ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

The trip should be a piece of cake for the PCX. I run my 125 at full throttle 95% of the time and the rest is between 45-50. 2 PCX 125s rode the Cannonball Run from Georgia to California wide open... in 8 days. I plan on taking mine from Florida to Louisiana on the last weekend of next month with a small group that includes a PCX150 that has done numerous out of state trips running at the limiter (he just recently rode it from Florida to North Carolina on I-95 the whole way in a single day!). He has only had it for about 3-4 months and already has over 10,000 miles on it.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

I wish high mileage folks like that would join this forum and share some of their stories! :lol:

They're probably having too much fun out riding though. :P
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
CaptnJim
Regular User
Regular User

Post by CaptnJim »

Hey, Wolf - your new scoot will handle that trip just fine. We added the Givi (mid size) windshields to our scoots - it takes the airflow off your torso, but does direct it around your helmet. Here's a photo...

Stock...

With the new windshield...

Profile view...

Congrats with the new bike and enjoy!

Best wishes,
Captain Jim
His & Hers Honda PCX 150s
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

thanks for the pics! The windshield looks great on the bike!

One problem I ran into today though... where in the hell do I put a cup holder???? LOL
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi wolf and welcome to the PCX side! So you got the black....sexy ;)
Thought I'd kick in and mention that I have the same medium givi screen as CaptnJim but it's the clear version. There is a taller givi available as well, that maddiedog and others have and they love it. Also other manufacturers of screens to consider. Member Taz has a nice one, he may give you a peek. Nuff rambling........ enjoy the excitement of your great scoot! :D
Oh, cup holder? That's another thread :lol:
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Taz
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Taz »

Mines the Ermax +25 which is 25cm taller than the stock screen and taller than the medium givi but smaller than the tall. Plenty of pics at:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/74721593@N05/page3/
Scottish
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Scottish »

After reading a review of the 150 yesterday I have to say I'm rather peeved at only having the 125...

I went for the mid size Ermax...

ItsaHonda
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ItsaHonda »

maddiedog wrote:I wish high mileage folks like that would join this forum and share some of their stories! :lol: :P

I told the guy with the PCX150 about this forum, I'll have to remind him again... but I will be posting pics of our trip to New Orleans.
Alex
2011 Suzuki Burgman 650
2011 Honda PCX 125
wolf39us

Post by wolf39us »

For those interested, I was able to drive from St. Petersburg, FL to Lakeland, FL in about an hour (55 miles one way). Taking the expressway for about 15 miles, I hit speeds between 60 and 65 two up. I achieved 80MPG and was near full throttle for 90% of the tank!

The bike drove super smooth and you can definitely feel the difference when coming from a Kymco :-)
pozo

Post by pozo »

The PCX 125 is indeed one tough scooter. Long distance is no problem for this bike.

There was one Honda PCX125 in the 2012 Scooter Cannonball Run. (The results are posted online at http://www.scootercannonball.com/result ... pdates.php. ) A guy rode the PCX from Washington DC to the start (Savannah, GA) and went on to finish in San Diego, CA eight days later. The funny part was that he didn't have any plans to ship it back after the race (like everybody else) so he just turned around and rode it back home! In all, he covered 21 states in 21 days, averaging over 300 miles per day, everyday for three weeks. Not single problem reported with the PCX. That's including riding through 100+ degree desserts, and crossing the Continental Divide *twice*...

This is the same guy who rode his PCX from his front door (outside DC) for a "day ride" and didn't stop until he reached the Canadian border...

So, yeah, I think you're pretty safe riding to your your dad's house. :-)
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

I have not been on the forum for a while due to hospitalization issues with both my wife and my daughter.
At night my car drives to visit my wife in the hospital left me sad and feeling generally "down" in spirits. My daughter was recovering at the same time from a planned and expected surgical procedure. My daughter was released from hospital but not my wife.
When I would go visit on my scooter until her my wife's pain meds made her too sleepy for a visit, I would feel better riding my PCX back home to take care of my son and daughter. The scooter ride brought my spirits back.
My wife recovered from her mysterious MRSA infection near the base of her spinal chord.
She is nearly fully recovered now, but can't ride pillion until her backside is fully healed.
NEVER ignore a mysterious infection - NEVER! This one almost killed my wife.
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

former50cc wrote:I have not been on the forum for a while due to hospitalization issues with both my wife and my daughter.
At night my car drives to visit my wife in the hospital left me sad and feeling generally "down" in spirits. My daughter was recovering at the same time from a planned and expected surgical procedure. My daughter was released from hospital but not my wife.
When I would go visit on my scooter until her my wife's pain meds made her too sleepy for a visit, I would feel better riding my PCX back home to take care of my son and daughter. The scooter ride brought my spirits back.
My wife recovered from her mysterious MRSA infection near the base of her spinal chord.
She is nearly fully recovered now, but can't ride pillion until her backside is fully healed.

SORRY to hear about Your Wife and Daughter...glad Everything is getting better....!!!
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

maddiedog wrote:I wish high mileage folks like that would join this forum and share some of their stories! :lol:

They're probably having too much fun out riding though. :P

I wish my Job would let me do rides like that...I'd definitely be "out there"... :D ...my PCX125 had almost 11,000 miles on it when I sold it after owning it less than two years, and having several other Motorcycles and Scooters to ride during that time....maybe "someday"..... ;)
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

skuuter wrote:
former50cc wrote:I have not been on the forum for a while due to hospitalization issues with both my wife and my daughter.

SORRY to hear about Your Wife and Daughter...glad Everything is getting better....!!!
Thanks, skuuter,
They both are recovering. New medical bills are all that we need to worry about now.
I find great friendship among the folks on this forum. I've been away for a while.
I find great joy riding the PCX around town now on more normal errands and fun rides now that my ladies are well!
former50cc
Regular User
Regular User

Post by former50cc »

By the way, about the windshield.
At 45 to 55 mph I really feel no problem with the wind in the warm months of the year.
I could certainly agree that above 55, especially in cool weather, a windshield would be really nice. In the summer at anything up to 55 mph the wind cooling feels great. At 60 there is a big difference after several miles in OK weather, and in cool to cold weather on a ride of anything longer than a mile or two, I would really like to find some protection from the wind.
kramnala58
Mod Emeritus
Mod Emeritus
Color: White is faster

Post by kramnala58 »

Sorry to hear about your wife and daughter. Glad to hear that they are back, and glad to have you back on the forum as well.

I hear you about having your spirits lifted when you ride. I find riding to be an escape from the rat-race, even though I pretty much only ride in the middle of a mega city.
2010 Honda PCX 125 in Thailand (White) - "White Lightning" Sold in Sept 2017 :(
2009 Yamaha Majesty YP400 in USA (Metalic Titanium) - "The Throne" Sold in June 2020 :(
dustin91
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by dustin91 »

Same here, glad there's some positive movement in their health. Far more important than material things, even if they're not always as fun! [WINKING FACE]