Inflation inflation inflation

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

romford4

Inflation inflation inflation

Post by romford4 »

Hi all. I've just joined this forum after a few years with a PCX125. The PCX has now gone and after a visit to my local Honda stealer this afternoon, I'm planning to replace it with, probably, a new Forza 350 or ADV350. The increase in vehicle prices over the past 4 years is well documented, but the cost of insurance seems to have gone bonkers!

In 2019 I bought a brand-new PCX125 for £2489 (list was £2900 I think) at a dealer 240 miles away. As of last month (Feb '24) the Bank of England's inflation calculator says the above prices would now be me paying £3053 for one against a list price of £3557. The ACTUAL list price is £3649 so not a huge increase although there's pretty much no discounts available. I suppose the latest bike does have some improvements on the 2019 model which maybe justify the increase?

For insurance, in 2019 I paid £116 for fully-comp. In today's money that's £142 but running some quotes on Confused gives me the cheapest price of over £287 :o I'm shocked! The Forza and ADV 350 are only £8 more than that and bikes like a CBR650R or Tenere 700 range from £148 up to £220. I can't really see the justification for it. Are scooters THAT MUCH more of a risk?
MaxThrottle

Re: Inflation inflation inflation

Post by MaxThrottle »

Not sure what you mean by risks? More accident prone? More risk of being stolen? Here in South America, insurance for a scooter is significantly cheaper, because they are not stolen anywhere near as much as motorcycles.