new scooter for the spring

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

jimtastic

new scooter for the spring

Post by jimtastic »

hey guys, i'm looking for a scooter for the spring to use to ride to school. it's less than 10 miles each way, so i've been looking for the best option for my money.

i have an accord, which is why i'm looking into the pcx. hondas are indescructable.

what makes the pcx better than other scooters, to justify the cost difference? i can get a yamaha zuma, or kymco agility for over 1000 less. i know its a honda, but what makes it worth the cost?
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Re: new scooter for the spring

Post by Fiah »

A Yamaha Zuma 125 is over a 1000 less? MRSP for the Zuma 128 is 3350 USD, the PCX is 3399 USD, so I don't know how and when a Zuma 125 would be over a 1000 less unless you're comparing a Zuma 50 to a PCX or something. A Kymco Agility has a air-cooled carbureted engine, where-as the PCX has a watercooled engine with injection. The Zuma 125 has air-cooling too. Also, outside of the US (don't ask me why), the PCX has a start-stop system, the first of its kind on a scooter!

For the exact models and prices, you'd have to check locally. I don't know where you live and that can make a huge difference. All in all though, the PCX has excellent value. Just the fact that it has a watercooled, fuel-injected engine counts for a lot when you're shopping on this kind of budget, and the great fuel economy is not a given either. The rest (the looks, the start-stop) is just icing on the cake.
PT63

Post by PT63 »

The PCX is the best looking 125 on the road ;) , need i say any more?
TC3
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TC3 »

I can only say why i bought a PCX rather than another scoot. I went to see something else at the dealer after seeing my first PCX i was in love. It looks real good to me. I test rode it and really liked how it handled, the low seat height and also the small size. Full size shoei helmet fits under the seat and that underseat storage is pretty large. Also i got 3 years very low interest finance and just could not say no .... never regretted it.
trigg123
Regular User
Regular User

Post by trigg123 »

JIm
not much to add to what the others have said
but its a honda,and you know what you will get, ive owned a few different scoots but keep coming back to honda.......you wont be disappointed.....easy to work on if your gonna maintain it yourself.have seen 2nd hand ones for around £1500 which is a bargain if your not going to go for a new one. hope you go for the pcx ,you know it makes sense.
good luck :D

And Jim anything you want to know just ask
Scoots so far- Peugeot jetforce 125,honda Dylan 125,yamaha x max 125,honda pcx 125,honda nss300 forza ;-) and bikes were kh250, zxr750L1,zx9B1,zx9c1,wr426,xjr1300sp,09-z1000
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

Since everyone has already mentioned most of my arguments for the PCX, have you tried to actually ride either scooter? The PCX has far superior handling and stability when compared to the Zuma or Agility. Both are very squirrely in comparison, and much harder to ride. The PCX just goes -- it's silky smooth, and so easy to control you'll forget you're riding it.

Where are you located? The PCX might not even be available where you are, have you checked dealers for availability?
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
jimtastic

Post by jimtastic »

im in the usa on the east coast..

thanks for the tips guys ill see if i can do a test drive or something. whats the advantage of air-cooled carberated over water-cooled with injection? sorry if thats a dumb question, im new to this..

oh and ill see if there are any nearby, i didnt even check any dealers
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

jimtastic wrote:im in the usa on the east coast..

thanks for the tips guys ill see if i can do a test drive or something. whats the advantage of air-cooled carberated over water-cooled with injection? sorry if thats a dumb question, im new to this..

oh and ill see if there are any nearby, i didnt even check any dealers
Air-cooled engines are simpler than water-cooled engines, but in general less efficient because their temperature can't be controlled as well as with water. That means that the engine is going to be colder than necessary in the winter, and hotter than preferable in the summer. Because of this, water-cooled engines can be tuned to produce more power and be more economical.

Same general story goes for carburetors vs. injection, a carburetor is old and simple technology to mix air with gas to an explosive mixture for your engine, using springs and precisely measured bits of metal. Modern fuel injection on the other hand calculates the amount of fuel the engine needs and adjusts itself if it gets it wrong (via a sensor in the exhaust). That means that fuel injection will have better control over the fuel mixture that the engine gets. In general, fuel injected engines today are more reliable, run better, produce more power and have less emissions. Fuel consumption is about the same.

Long story short: air-cooled engines with carburetors is very old tech. Water-cooled engines with computer-aided injection is more of this century.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

You might want to look at your exhaust, when I took mine off to respray it there was no sensor in it.
Maybe the sensor is inside the head?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

The watercooled engine will be quieter and more efficient, resulting in better gas mileage... They're more durable too, because the engine has less strain from heat.
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Fiah
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Fiah »

gn2 wrote:You might want to look at your exhaust, when I took mine off to respray it there was no sensor in it.
Maybe the sensor is inside the head?
I don't know? I can't imagine the PCX having unregulated injection..