Idle stop worries

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Re: Idle stop worries

Post by khaosaming »

It just occurred to me that maybe there's a need for instructions how to prepare a new motorcycle battery.

Just make sure you have it properly sealed so the battery won't spill when placed on its side inside the vehicle. After adding water, seal it and wait an hour. Then charge it full and complete over night.

Here's a video from Youtube.
http://youtu.be/THSQtBjD1FQ

Disclaimer:
You might want to use gloves and goggles when working on the battery.
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

khaosaming wrote:It just occurred to me that maybe there's a need for instructions how to prepare a new motorcycle battery.

Just make sure you have it properly sealed so the battery won't spill when placed on its side inside the vehicle. After adding water, seal it and wait an hour. Then charge it full and complete over night.

Disclaimer:
You might want to use gloves and goggles when working on the battery.

Doesn't Honda install from the factory an AGM Gel sealed battery that does not require liquid electrolyte?

If so, we might want to point out that out if the owner replaces theirs with OEM specified.

Disclaimer: I may be incorrect.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
khaosaming
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by khaosaming »

Slickvic wrote:Doesn't Honda install from the factory an AGM Gel sealed battery that does not require liquid electrolyte?
-------------------
I guess that depends on where you live or who you buy your battery from. Chances are that you could easily find a replacement battery that needs filling before first use (sold as 'dry'). The type of battery is Yuasa YTZ6V.

This is the battery factory installed in Thailand:
I have learned from my mistakes, and I am sure I can repeat them exactly.
Hyadum

Post by Hyadum »

That's right. Just received mine and it was dry. Came from Thailand.
Imagination is more important than knowledge...
Albert Einstein
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

I was curious why this was purposely left off the U.S. models? Even if Honda didn't think everyone would use it, the riders who chose to, could, and the others would just shut it off. When I had my Silverwing 600, I would turn off the engine at long traffic lights, providing I wasn't the lead vehicle and it saved a lot of fuel. I averaged close to 60 mpg on my SWing regularly. The crosswalk signs would begin flashing just prior to the light changing and it always gave me the time to re fire it up without delay.
Was this an added cost to omit it? It seems if the rest of the production line got it, it would have been easier to make them all the same????
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

GN2 has posted a few good articles on it, there were safety concerns they couldn't get past for the idle stop in the USA. Here's one of the posts I'm referencing: http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t ... stop#p6288
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
Slickvic
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Slickvic »

strkngfang wrote:I was curious why this was purposely left off the U.S. models????
Because the NHTSA is afraid of technology:

NHTSA puts brakes on Honda's 'Idle Stop' transmission technology.

BUSINESS WIRE — The federal government has temporarily put the brakes on American Honda Motor Co., Inc.'s next generation of "Idle Stop" automatic transmission systems for gasoline engines, and expressed overall safety concerns over "sudden lurching forward or backward" in vehicles with similar technology.
The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) declined to acknowledge whether Honda's transmissions are in compliance with federal safety laws.

In an Idle Stop transmission, a vehicle's gasoline engine will shut off when the driver stops the vehicle with its brake, and will automatically restart itself when the driver subsequently removes his foot from the brake.

Honda said its new technology will reduce exhaust emissions when the vehicle is normally stopped and idling and "be a safe and efficient method to conserve fuel," according to a letter to NHTSA from William R. Willen, Honda's Managing Counsel, Product Regulatory Office, Torrance, CA.

NHTSA said it "will defer an opinion" on whether Idle Stop automatic transmissions in gasoline engines meet safety requirements until Honda makes more information available to the agency. But NHTSA did conclude the Idle Stop transmission for Honda's hybrid electric vehicles does meet automotive safety compliance standards based on information provided by the automaker.

NHTSA also said that it is considering beginning a rulemaking to address this new technology and update its motor vehicle safety laws and has also issued a concern that this new technology must address the possibility of a sudden lurching forward of a vehicle in an automatic restart instead of the gradual creeping forward found in current transmission designs.

Besides Honda and Toyota Motor Corporation "other vehicle manufacturers are currently designing vehicles with gasoline or diesel engine and hybrid propulsion plants that operate differently but attempt to achieve improved fuel economy." NHTSA said it expects these other vehicles ... "will have safety features that prevent sudden lurching forward or backward when the gasoline engine is restarted. Such lurching is a concern because it could result in a crash."

Copies of the NHTSA and Honda letters are available at http://www.netcompliance.com.
Previous - 1986 Honda Elite 250, 2007 Ninja 500r, 2013 Honda PCX-150
Current - 2015 Honda CBR650F :o
strkngfang
Regular User
Regular User

Post by strkngfang »

The sudden "lurching" is all BS. Whether you twist the throttle from a stop or with the engine shut off, the result is moving forward. Nobody stated that you had to "gun" it to kick the engine back on. Another example of how the U.S. hates to be out done with technology so they forbid anything new.
Dan
2015 Honda Forza- red
Alibally
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2019
Color: Black

Post by Alibally »

They have to make allowances for stupid people that might sue them if they have a freak accident.
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

Alibally wrote:They have to make allowances for stupid people that might sue them if they have a freak accident.

.....and we have a winner :lol:
skuuter
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by skuuter »

Yep, most things here in the USA have to factor in Law Suits.....it's a way of Life here. Folks have a real problem being responsible for Their Own actions.......UGH....... :x
Ridin' and Socializin' the Southeastern USA on a 2014 Honda FORZA 300 Scooter...45+ years of Riding averaging 30,000 miles per year...!!!