600 miles service check up

General Honda PCX chat, questions about the PCX, or questions about riding.

Moderator: Modsquad

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 600 miles service check up

Post by you you »

Change the oil. Run the bike.

It's function is cheap transport, don't make it expensive.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

13,000 miles in, just over 3 yr's and I've only paid for the 1st 600 mile service (cost me £85 for an oil change!). Since then I've changed the oil twice, final drive oil once (it looked fine), and last week changed the front pads (£12 delivered from Ebay). My LED PCX suffers from the driven clutch bearing issue and that's about the only major failing thing Honda will deal with under warranty if you keep up the 2yr services (which would be £800 + tax in London - not worth it). One or two people have had major engine issues, caused by bad machining of engine parts in the factory, but Honda did not want to know according to reports posted on this forum a year ago.

Parts here in the UK are expensive not cheap - panels cost a lot, and the driven face, final, part 8 that has the bad clutch bearings costs approx. £110 upwards + delivery here, yet the same part costs $30 in the US, $24 Thailand, and Partzilla supplied that assembly and 110 style clutch pads for £52 all-in delivered! (that's total cost for the part 8 assembly, clutch pads, $13 shipping and currency conversion).
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I've worked on all of my bikes from my first *Honda Ruckus* to the biggest, *Harley RG* I will be honest, the plastics are the thing that scare me the most. Ha! :lol:
Not to worry, buy a cheap set of "Trim Fastener & Molding Removal Tools" and watch Homie's video all the way thru. Then when there's a rainy day - turn the radio to a good station, follow his video step by step, take your time, enjoy the day, and do everything methodically and it's no problem really. An electric screwdriver speeds things up a lot.

As you remove each body panel, put its hardware in a baggie and label it to make reassembly easy. The clips Honda uses are EASY, they are 2 piece with a sleeve and a little inner plunger that expands it. To remove, just push in the inner plunger which relieves the sleeve's expansion and it the whole clip then just lifts right out. To replace, push the plunger back up so it protrudes out of the sleeve, insert the sleeve completely in the hole and then push the plunger down level. No reason to break them and not rocket science.

If you don't have a tappet wrench small enough to fit the tappet's tiny square tip, just use one of those $2 mini vice grips they sell at Auto Parts stores.

When you're done you feel good that all is right with your bike !
mladyraven1
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Post by mladyraven1 »

"(or use a FOBO tyre pressure monitor to "beam" them to your smartphone). What is a FOBO tyre pressure monitor, please? Can I get them at any bike store? I appreciate the novel being educated always helps.

"Sorry this is such a novel - but I thought a bit of an education (according to this teacher anyway - as I say, not everyone here agrees with me) may just help you make better decisions. For what it's worth, the first service that you're at now is probably THE most important one because it's the one where 2 lots of oil get changed which flushes out the little bits of metal that are floating around from manufacturing processes - and it's also a good time to check the valve clearances because this is the time they're most likely to be slightly out of spec."

All in all though, I would encourage you to get more involved in the service of your bike - maybe you'll end up doing something yourself - maybe not. It's generally not as hard as people think. Perhaps even ask your preferred mechanic if you can watch and learn whilst he does things - I've found that the more I know about the bike the better the decisions. There's also a wealth of knowledge here about the bike. Some things I think you can't help but learn to do yourself - like adjusting the rear brake freeplay (sounds hellishly technical but in English it means " twisting a nut at the back of the bike until the left brake moves about the same as the right brake before it starts to bite) (It's so quick to do I've even done it waiting for a set of traffic lights to change).

I don't think I will be doing my own work any time soon :) I am 64 years old, live in a senior housing apartment building and no one there uses a scooter.
A bit of my story :roll: I got my first scooter Yamaha Vino 125 2007. 6 months after I got the bike I was mugged walking home from the grocery store at 5:30 PM , walking 2 blocks! They damaged my knee so badly I had to have Total Knee Replacement. My knee was already weak from arthritis. I loved the bike though it was pretty slow to get anyone but the local stores. I had to stop riding for 5 months while I recovered. I am single since my divorce. I came back to Ca to take care of my mom who has alzheimer's. She is now in a nursing home and I took over her apartment.

I had it a year before my daughter accidently ran it over coming home from work at her home one night in the rain. Totalled. I got more for the Vino then I had paid for it. ( It was easy to take care of and I did not have any warranty issues to deal with).
I have no place to work on a bike even if I was physically able to do so we are NOT allowed to work on our vehicles in the parking lot or the street where I live on the outskirts of San Diego City, CA.

I was actually planning on buying the Yamaha SMAX, however, the seat was too high for me and that is how I ended up with the Honda PCX . I took a month to look for what I wanted. I never thought to look on a PCX forum - My mistake.

So , bottom line , being the first change is the most important should I have a dealer do it? Or the local motorcycle mechanic I have been using he has a small shop with him and another man. I see Harley's and other big bikes in his lot when I brought my bike in for service. Maybe I need to start a forum for older women, LOL, you guys are a rough crowd ;) for the most part. JK.

I get I made a mistake, so, now I am trying to fix it the best I can. Maybe I should sell the bike and try to get another used Vino?
I was just hoping this bike would last me 5-7 years that is why I bought the extended warranty I did not realize that it was going to cost me so much money for each of the initial check ups.

Thanks for your help- everyone. I am not sure what to do at this point. I guess I will park the bike and take the weekend to decide as I head off in an uber to go babysit my grandsons. I do not have a car I could not afford one which is how I ended up getting the first Yamaha Vino when my car died and I got sick of taking the bus for two years. I get 100 mpg, so far I have not taken it past 50 mph and I am not sure how fast it will go. I stay off the Freeways I-8 etc and use the side roads.

Again thank you all for sharing your thoughts and wisdom with me. I am an intelligent women - believe it or not I just made a big mistake.
mladyraven1

Post by mladyraven1 »

springer1 wrote:
I've worked on all of my bikes from my first *Honda Ruckus* to the biggest, *Harley RG* I will be honest, the plastics are the thing that scare me the most. Ha! :lol:
Not to worry, buy a cheap set of "Trim Fastener & Molding Removal Tools" and watch Homie's video all the way thru. Then when there's a rainy day - turn the radio to a good station, follow his video step by step, take your time, enjoy the day, and do everything methodically and it's no problem really. An electric screwdriver speeds things up a lot.

As you remove each body panel, put its hardware in a baggie and label it to make reassembly easy. The clips Honda uses are EASY, they are 2 piece with a sleeve and a little inner plunger that expands it. To remove, just push in the inner plunger which relieves the sleeve's expansion and it the whole clip then just lifts right out. To replace, push the plunger back up so it protrudes out of the sleeve, insert the sleeve completely in the hole and then push the plunger down level. No reason to break them and not rocket science.

If you don't have a tappet wrench small enough to fit the tappet's tiny square tip, just use one of those $2 mini vice grips they sell at Auto Parts stores.

When you're done you feel good that all is right with your bike !
I am 64 and disabled living in a senior housing apartment with no garage, parking in front of the house, where they do not allow anyone to work on anything. I made a mistake. When I was younger ( 30) I could change the oil, air filter etc on my car, with the help of my X. I have arthritis in my hands and this is not a new skill I can pick up at this time. Thank you though for the suggestions I appreciate it.
mladyraven1

Post by mladyraven1 »

iceman wrote:13,000 miles in, just over 3 yr's and I've only paid for the 1st 600 mile service (cost me £85 for an oil change!). Since then I've changed the oil twice, final drive oil once (it looked fine), and last week changed the front pads (£12 delivered from Ebay). My LED PCX suffers from the driven clutch bearing issue and that's about the only major failing thing Honda will deal with under warranty if you keep up the 2yr services (which would be £800 + tax in London - not worth it). One or two people have had major engine issues, caused by bad machining of engine parts in the factory, but Honda did not want to know according to reports posted on this forum a year ago.

Parts here in the UK are expensive not cheap - panels cost a lot, and the driven face, final, part 8 that has the bad clutch bearings costs approx. £110 upwards + delivery here, yet the same part costs $30 in the US, $24 Thailand, and Partzilla supplied that assembly and 110 style clutch pads for £52 all-in delivered! (that's total cost for the part 8 assembly, clutch pads, $13 shipping and currency conversion).
Thank you. If I end up going with my mechanic I can buy the parts myself and he will do the labor. I usually use his oil, however, there is more than that to the first change. I know I need to get a filter. I will finish checking what I need see the cost and then decide if I allow him or the dealer to do the first job.

The last time I bought a new vehicle was back in 1998 with my X husband and his father. Thanks for the tip on where to buy parts. I am concerned about letting the local mechanic do the valves when they come up to be checked and fixed.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

mladyraven1 wrote:"(or use a FOBO tyre pressure monitor to "beam" them to your smartphone). What is a FOBO tyre pressure monitor, please? Can I get them at any bike store? I appreciate the novel being educated always helps.
It's a pair of devices about an inch across and 1/2 inch high that screw & lock onto the valve stem in place of the normal dust cap that covers the bit where you put air into the tyre. In a world where many things seem to over-promise and under-deliver, this product has impressed me; initial questions to their website were answered quickly - it was a pleasant surprise to discover that international courier was already included in their very reasonable price - they units came with batteries fitted, but they also included another 2 batteries and some additional mounting hardware free of charge - AND - the units have worked flawlessly. Can't fault a single thing really.

These units have a pressure sensor in them and they talk to an app on an Apple or Android smart phone. You can open the app to check the pressures (and temps) any time you like - and it also monitors pressure in the background and gives you an alert if they're outside limits that I've set. I really don't know how I did without them now I've had them - and having experienced 4 flat tyres before I got them - I feel that they're making a significant contribution to my safety.

Here's a link to the product on their website: https://my-fobo.com/Product/FOBOBIKE
I don't think I will be doing my own work any time soon :) I am 64 years old, live in a senior housing apartment building and no one there uses a scooter.
A bit of my story :roll: I got my first scooter Yamaha Vino 125 2007. 6 months after I got the bike I was mugged walking home from the grocery store at 5:30 PM , walking 2 blocks! They damaged my knee so badly I had to have Total Knee Replacement. My knee was already weak from arthritis. I loved the bike though it was pretty slow to get anyone but the local stores. I had to stop riding for 5 months while I recovered. I am single since my divorce. I came back to Ca to take care of my mom who has alzheimer's. She is now in a nursing home and I took over her apartment.
You're in the prime of life! I'm 193 most days (if the saying "you're as old as you feel" is correct) - other days about 57 - not too far behind you. I do accept that doing bike maintenance just isn't realistic due to some people's circumstances though.

I just want to offer my condolences on the mugging at this point - I can only try to imagine how terrifying that was for you. Reason I mention that is that a couple of nights ago I was out for an evening walk when a guy pulls up in a car - and starts accusing me of prowling on peoples properties and selling drugs. I had to call the police on our emergency number. Turns out police were looking for someone and my clothing sorta matched that of the person they were looking for - and this guy was just getting a bit "over-enthusiastic" when he should have just let the police do their job. Last I heard he was being "entertained" by a police dog unit and made aware of the "error of his ways". Even that was enough for me for one night - being mugged would be "off the chart" for me. Side note - my daughter is a theatre nurse in a hospital where - amongst other things - they do knee replacements. Small world!

Sorry to hear about your Mum too - Glen Campbell's documented plight with the disease was an eye opener for me. My Mum was just the opposite - brain was sharp right up to the end, but her body just wore out. Each day she'd wake up with the thought "Damn. I'm still alive". She once said to me "I'd horrible getting old; nothing works like it used to and all your friends start dying". Hard to argue with that, unfortunately.
So , bottom line , being the first change is the most important should I have a dealer do it? Or the local motorcycle mechanic I have been using he has a small shop with him and another man. I see Harley's and other big bikes in his lot when I brought my bike in for service. Maybe I need to start a forum for older women, LOL, you guys are a rough crowd ;) for the most part. JK.
In terms of the oil change, it doesn't matter who does it - only that (a) it get's done and (b) they use the correct type and amount of oil. There's two places it needs to be changed (both easy) - Engine and rear/final drive. In terms of the valve check, chances are a dealer would have more experience in doing it on a PCX (including getting access to the motor including panel removal). Maybe a good approach would be to go see your preferred guy and say "hey - I'm going to be coming to for on-going maintenance, but the valve check requires quite a bit of disassembly with risk of breaking clips it you've not done it before - what do you think?".

Long term - to protect your extended warranty - I think I would get what Honda said in writing - AND - I'd probably have a bit of paper typed up as a form with the things mentioned in the book that's signed by your preferred mechanic when done (signed, dated, odometer recorded etc). On one hand it makes me a bit nervous as I think a greater potential exists for Honda to find an excuse to weasel out of a claim, but on the other hand, I doubt you'll need to claim on anything anyway - barring a catastrophic engine failure (extremely unlikely) just about everything else is pretty cheaply fixed (relatively speaking). I'd encourage anyone with a bike to just setup an automatic payment to another account with a few dollars each week so any expenses are mitigated - even $10 a week would make a big difference.
I get I made a mistake, so, now I am trying to fix it the best I can. Maybe I should sell the bike and try to get another used Vino?
I was just hoping this bike would last me 5-7 years that is why I bought the extended warranty I did not realize that it was going to cost me so much money for each of the initial check ups.
I still wouldn't call it a mistake; in summary you've in-essence bought "mechanical insurance". I've done that on some items where I knew the reputation better than the seller and came out ahead. Only time will tell if it was a good investment. The fly in the ointment is getting the valve checks done; 100% not needed (after the initial 600 mile check) in my opinion, but possibly needed for your warranty - that alone will probably add $100 on to every service. If it wasn't for that then the rest of the stuff is quick and easy for any good mechanic - things like checking lights, fuel line, brakes, throttle etc etc etc is quick and easy.

If it were me - knowing what I do now - and appreciating the position you're in - I'd probably say "stuff the extended warranty - get the oil changed now - then take it to your preferred chap every 5000 miles and say 'change the oil - check these things in the book - and advise me of anything that's likely to affect my safety' (like tyre wear, brake pad wear etc)". They're a hellishy reliable bike - would be a shame to have to sell it when you've already made the investment. And I doubt you'll be doing the kind of miles that I do anyway (so servicing isn't going to cost a lot over the year and even easier if you put money aside for it). How many miles are you doing each year on it?
Thanks for your help- everyone. I am not sure what to do at this point. I guess I will park the bike and take the weekend to decide as I head off in an uber to go babysit my grandsons. I do not have a car I could not afford one which is how I ended up getting the first Yamaha Vino when my car died and I got sick of taking the bus for two years. I get 100 mpg, so far I have not taken it past 50 mph and I am not sure how fast it will go. I stay off the Freeways I-8 etc and use the side roads.
You're very welcome. Mine maxes out at about 100km/hr wide-open-throttle. I think that's about 60 MPH. Depends a bit on winds though. It gets a bit thirsty at full speed, but it's quite happy to sit there all day if needed (I did 315km on mine just the other day - most of it full throttle).

Happy to help if I/we can.
mladyraven1

Post by mladyraven1 »

You're in the prime of life! I'm 193 most days (if the saying "you're as old as you feel" is correct) - other days about 57 - not too far behind you. I do accept that doing bike maintenance just isn't realistic due to some people's circumstances though.

"I just want to offer my condolences on the mugging at this point - I can only try to imagine how terrifying that was for you. Reason I mention that is that a couple of nights ago I was out for an evening walk when a guy pulls up in a car - and starts accusing me of prowling on peoples properties and selling drugs. I had to call the police on our emergency number. Turns out police were looking for someone and my clothing sorta matched that of the person they were looking for - and this guy was just getting a bit "over-enthusiastic" when he should have just let the police do their job. Last I heard he was being "entertained" by a police dog unit and made aware of the "error of his ways". Even that was enough for me for one night - being mugged would be "off the chart" for me. Side note - my daughter is a theatre nurse in a hospital where - amongst other things - they do knee replacements. Small world!

Sorry to hear about your Mum too - Glen Campbell's documented plight with the disease was an eye opener for me. My Mum was just the opposite - brain was sharp right up to the end, but her body just wore out. Each day she'd wake up with the thought "Damn. I'm still alive". She once said to me "I'd horrible getting old; nothing works like it used to and all your friends start dying". Hard to argue with that, unfortunately."

Thank you and I am glad you were not hurt the other night. The disease is a nightmare, however, one day at a time!
So, here is what I finally did.
1. I got it done at another dealer not the one I bought the warranty from. They charged me 215$ instead of 300 dollars. Adjusted the timing ( which I told the first dealer that it was not sounding right he told me no way was there a problem, there was it was off)
2. We called Honda and I can get out of my warranty and get a refund I just have to pay a 25$ penalty I can live with that!
3. They also sold me this theft protection, the second dealer said it was BS- any thoughts? I am considering trying to return that too if it's worthless.
4. They told me to get the oil changed every 2,000 miles- Thoughts?
5. I know I am taking a gamble getting rid of the warranty, however, they would not put anything in writing ( HONDA) I was sold a warranty which is basically just a continuation of the limited 1 year warranty and it only covered 2 years.
6. I will never go back to Fun Bike Center , they really took me for a ride :lol:
7. I went to MotorWorld and everyone from the receptionist to the mechanics assistant was so so nice and they really helped me out.
8. Do you genuine Honda Parts when you do the work on your bike? Or OEM Parts?
9. Yes, IMO I am old :roll: Perhaps it's because I have so many chronic illnesses ...
Thank you all for your time and your advice. Next time I will ask questions here before I do anything to my bike.
Oh, does anyone know where to get a magnet to make the light change? I am getting stuck at so many lights because the bike is not heavy enough to change it. The rule is two cycles of light changes and you can go... however, if the traffic never stops you can't go! I heard they worked does anyone know if that is true.

GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

MLR - It seems you have found a service group you can trust - ditch the extended warranty. Theft protection? Don't you pay for that with your insurance company? Also, after a couple of years, our scoots are not worth very much, so we won't get much after any deductible. Also - update your profile. If yo are in London or environs, well, somebody might steal your PCX. If your in the United States of Macho, it is VERY unlikely that anyone wants to take your bike.

For #8, you probably won't need much - just let MotorWorld do their job and not worry about it. Unless you ride like theMaverick, your scoot won't need much work every year. My '13 wants an oil change every 2500 miles. If I don't quite hit it, I'll still change the oil every fall before putting it to bed for the winter (again - where are you?).

As for the magnets. IDK - maybe they work. It is a small price experiment to try, but also - try to pay attention to the faint lines in the pavement where the sensor wires are. Stop right on a line, pretty much in the middle, and see if that helps.

I found this: https://www.amazon.com/CMS-Magnetics-Pr ... motorcycle

Not many reviews, but it is an eperiment thas is not exactly going to break the bank. I would like to see it plastic coated, though. RE magnets are prone to corrosion, and you will be sticking it onto the scoot in about the worst place possible. If you get this, I would suggest a coat or two of spray paint or clear lacquer before taping it on.

If you want to do further shopping (can you tell I love to shop?), check out United Nuclear: https://unitednuclear.com/index.php?mai ... Path=70_71
The higher the "N" number, the more potent the magnet. They have some insane magnets on this site.

Another fun magnet site is http://www.kjmagnetics.com/products.asp?cat=11 They do have plastic coated magnets, but you have to plow through the site to find them. You want a fridge magnet with a good hook? Here ya go! (I know - off topic...)

I have no clue how powerful a magnet you/we need. You can maybe learn more at http://www.instructables.com/id/Trigger ... ic-Lights/

Finally, rest easy and enjoy your PCX. Give it the service that the book asks for (although you probably will want to skip a few valve checks after #1 for cost reasons - maybe wait to 7500 miles) at the shop you have come to like, and it should treat you well.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

mladyraven1 wrote: 1. I got it done at another dealer not the one I bought the warranty from. They charged me 215$ instead of 300 dollars. Adjusted the timing ( which I told the first dealer that it was not sounding right he told me no way was there a problem, there was it was off)
2. We called Honda and I can get out of my warranty and get a refund I just have to pay a 25$ penalty I can live with that!
3. They also sold me this theft protection, the second dealer said it was BS- any thoughts? I am considering trying to return that too if it's worthless.
4. They told me to get the oil changed every 2,000 miles- Thoughts?
5. I know I am taking a gamble getting rid of the warranty, however, they would not put anything in writing ( HONDA) I was sold a warranty which is basically just a continuation of the limited 1 year warranty and it only covered 2 years.
6. I will never go back to Fun Bike Center , they really took me for a ride :lol:
7. I went to MotorWorld and everyone from the receptionist to the mechanics assistant was so so nice and they really helped me out.
8. Do you genuine Honda Parts when you do the work on your bike? Or OEM Parts?
9. Yes, IMO I am old :roll: Perhaps it's because I have so many chronic illnesses ...
Thank you all for your time and your advice. Next time I will ask questions here before I do anything to my bike.
Oh, does anyone know where to get a magnet to make the light change? I am getting stuck at so many lights because the bike is not heavy enough to change it. The rule is two cycles of light changes and you can go... however, if the traffic never stops you can't go! I heard they worked does anyone know if that is true.
Thanks for the update - I was wondering how you got on.

I'm not sure what more I can add that George SK hasn't already said.

Glad you've found a good dealer. If nothing else, I like to shop around and get quotes -- I think it puts them on notice that I'm cost conscious and that they risk losing my business if they try to take advantage. In my case all I ever ask for is fair pricing; hourly rates are much the same and if "that's how long it really took" then "that's how long it really took". I don't expect to be paying for their afternoon tea break or if they get called away to the phone though.

With regards to the theft protection - I'd need to know more details. If it's something for only a few dollars that covers the deductible on your regular insurance then it may be worthwhile - or it may not be worthwhile - devil is in the detail as they say. From my own experiences I will say that dealers are generally very good at looking out for themselves first though.

Book on mine says oil changes every 5000 miles - not 2000 miles. I change mine every 2500 miles because I want to - I do it myself and figure it's cheap insurance, but I have no idea if it's helping much or not. Every 2000 miles is starting to sound more like "benefitting them" more than "benefitting you" though. The bike certainly isn't going to suffer any damage if you stretch that out a bit.

Genuine Honda is OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) as far as I know. That's what I stick with - sourced overseas (for me here in NZ) there are HUGE savings to be made. Not sure if that would be the case for you or not. For me the trick is to keep just the right parts in stock at just the right time. Having said that, I doubt you'll need anything significant for a while. I've just replaced belt, clutch plates and one other part at 33,333km - and the dealer will be doing brake and cooling fluids and both brake pad sets in a couple of days - but that's after 30 months of frequent riding. Prior to that I've only changed air filter and tyres and a couple of bulbs.

With regards to sensors - I've not had any problems in New Zealand - it is important to stop in the right place though.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

I think every thing has been said that could be said, so I will just add one comment. I am 71 and I know that I am not the oldest rider on this forum. I have also seen older riders on the road. Don't believe that you are old and you won't feel as old.
There is a difference between not being able to do something because of certain physical restrictions, and not being able to do something just because you think that you can't. Take care of whatever needs to be done on the bike, learn from it, and then go from there.

After the first oil change and valve adjustment, don't worry about the next service. Just have your own garage change the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, and just ride your little scooter. The oil change is a 10 minute job and only uses 1 quart of oil. There is no filter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I think every thing has been said that could be said, so I will just add one comment. I am 71 and I know that I am not the oldest rider on this forum. I have also seen older riders on the road. Don't believe that you are old and you won't feel as old.
There is a difference between not being able to do something because of certain physical restrictions, and not being able to do something just because you think that you can't. Take care of whatever needs to be done on the bike, learn from it, and then go from there.

After the first oil change and valve adjustment, don't worry about the next service. Just have your own garage change the oil every 3,000 to 5,000 miles, and just ride your little scooter. The oil change is a 10 minute job and only uses 1 quart of oil. There is no filter.

There is a filter but it's a two minute job to clean and re-use.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

I believe it is called a screen, not a filter, so you don't have to replace it with a new one. You can pull it on the first and every other oil change after that. The first go around there will be some small metal particles in it from break in. After that I doubt that you will find anything in it, but go ahead and rinse it out ever so often. It still only takes an added minute or two.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

2013 maintenance sheet.jpg
2013 maintenance sheet.jpg (373.08 KiB) Viewed 1172 times
This is the maintenance schedule for my 2013 model PCX. I know that the newer ones have some changes, but this should give you an idea of how much really has to be replaced during these visits to the mechanic.
I = inspect
C= clean
R= replace
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Mel46 wrote:I believe it is called a screen, not a filter, so you don't have to replace it with a new one. You can pull it on the first and every other oil change after that. The first go around there will be some small metal particles in it from break in. After that I doubt that you will find anything in it, but go ahead and rinse it out ever so often. It still only takes an added minute or two.

Strainer screen according to your manual :D

Which is a sieve but it doesn't sound so technical :lol:
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I'm glad it worked out for you. :)

Ride on.
Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Mel46 wrote: I am 71 and I know that I am not the oldest rider on this forum. I have also seen older riders on the road. Don't believe that you are old and you won't feel as old.
Seems quite a few of us are 'up there. I am 68 and my wife is 70. o_O
(Don't tell her I said so! LOL)
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Mel46 »

Did we ever answer valeriegoodgirl's question?

I think we did but we haven't heard back from her so we can only hope that she has had her question answered to her satisfaction.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Bronxcat
Year: 2019
Color: Grey/Charcoal

Post by Bronxcat »

I'm currently on my 600 mile mark on my 2019 PCX 150 and I plan to change my own oil. Question is, do I change the engine oil only or do I need to change the transmission oil as well. Manual doesn't mention valve clearing, but this forum does. Do I need to do that now? Thanks!
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Bronxcat wrote:I'm currently on my 600 mile mark on my 2019 PCX 150 and I plan to change my own oil. Question is, do I change the engine oil only or do I need to change the transmission oil as well. Manual doesn't mention valve clearing, but this forum does. Do I need to do that now? Thanks!

Opinions will vary. Mine is yes to the oil, no to a mechanical valve check, yes to a common sense one.