Valve Clearance Check

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

smrbike
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Valve Clearance Check

Post by smrbike »

Not to open a can of worms, but how stringent does one have to stay to the valve check schedule - 1st 600, every 2500 thereafter? I never remember having to adjust valve every 2500 miles, even back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, ... Does it ever change once broken in?

My first PCX150, relatively new 2016 w 220 miles.
Now: '16 PCX150, '13 CB1100
Still-To-Do: Life, ...
Prior: '70s CB450, '90s-00s CB750 Nighthawk
First: '60s Honda 50 or 90
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Re: Valve Clearance Check

Post by springer1 »

smrbike wrote:Not to open a can of worms, but how stringent does one have to stay to the valve check schedule - 1st 600, every 2500 thereafter? I never remember having to adjust valve every 2500 miles, even back in the 50s, 60s, 70s, ... Does it ever change once broken in?

My first PCX150, relatively new 2016 w 220 miles.
Yep we’ve been thru this debate a lot .... suggest you first do a forum search on that and read all what has been discussed - then look on utube for a few excellent videos on doing it.

But - welcome to the group !!!! ..... a seriously friendly bunch .... but this topic has some people tired.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Since you don't have an extended or factory warranty to maintain having bought it used and it's well beyond the one year coverage I would play it by ear. There's a lot of work and tear down involved. The risk that you or your choice of service mechanic might not get things back just right is high. I would ride the very dependable little Honda to 2500 or 5000 miles and consider the clearance check with your more extensive service. Very few ever find them out and then it's just a miniscule. No one actually gets them checked at 600 by their dealership under warranty, that's just a wink and a nod to check the box for Honda's records. Many pay that 600 mile money and rest well knowing they are covered but seriously the engine is bulletproof. You should dump the oil for sure right now and not wait for 600 as shes been garage neglected with only 200 miles in two years and might be condensation fouled. I have a long slow valve clearance check tutorial video that you can watch as we do it together someday.

Welcome to the board :D
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I adjust them every 5000 miles. I find that I have to loosen them a bit every time.
How long can you go without adjusting them, not sure, but some members here have reported hard starts because of lack of timely valve adjustments. I forget how many miles one member went without adjusting them before he had hard starting issues. Anyone?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Only reason for following the recommended check interval is to preserve any warranty where warranty is dependent on following the schedule.
Vespa engines have a similar set up, sohc with screw and locknut tappets and their check interval is now 12,000 miles.
If a Vespa can go that distance without checking I doubt there's any real need for a Honda to be checked four times in that distance.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

gn2 wrote:Only reason for following the recommended check interval is to preserve any warranty where warranty is dependent on following the schedule.
Vespa engines have a similar set up, sohc with screw and locknut tappets and their check interval is now 12,000 miles.
If a Vespa can go that distance without checking I doubt there's any real need for a Honda to be checked four times in that distance.
I agree..after the valves seat themselves (wear in) there may be a need for first one . Thats why HONDA recommends intial check after break in.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I'm living on the edge. Almost 3000 miles total in three years, and I've never checked them yet. When it starts running ratty, I'll check them. But I know, I'm not a role model.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
superandyp

Post by superandyp »

When I checked the other week the inlet was on tight side and out of tolerance. I don't know whether that would translate to premature engine wear if left. Iwill be checking mine every 2500 miles. I guess the machined profile of the valve and the valve seat are ever so slightly diffent when new and it takes a distance to wear until the contact area increases i.e. Profile of the valves and valve seats are matched. If after a couple of checks the gaps are consistently the same I will be more relaxed about the distance ridden between checks
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:
gn2 wrote:Only reason for following the recommended check interval is to preserve any warranty where warranty is dependent on following the schedule.
I agree..after the valves seat themselves (wear in) there may be a need for first one . Thats why HONDA recommends intial check after break in.
The valves seating won't require the tappers adjusting. The effect on the clearance is minuscule.

Just ride your scooter and worry about other things.
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

I guess the only "reason" to NOT do it as suggested is the pain in the rear to remove and then reattach all of the plastic body parts. That's 75-85% of the time/workload. If not for that, undoing valve cover and adjusting would be a 10-20 minute operation.
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

I think it has been said many times - that the discussion for checking or not checking the valves on a PCX centers around how difficult it is to access them.
My step thru scooters have a lower, center, panel that is easily removed - and , bingo --- there's the valve cover!
Consequently, my valves get checked frequently.

Honda's "start at the tail lights and work forward" is frustrating - because Honda makes great stuff.

Would it have been difficult to work some removable panels into that area? Panel seams aren't that unsightly, are they?

(I bought the $8 downloadable Piaggio full service manual before buying the scooter - mainly to check the ease of DIY servicing - esp. the valves, oil, CVT, brakes & spark plug. Glad I did - because this scoot is easy to service - and my Piaggio/Vespa dealer just went belly up! On my first scooter - the Kymco, I just got lucky.)

* don't really need to remove the seat- bucket on the Kymco - but doing so gives more light to the situation.
Fish
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User

Post by Lafree »

Hi, Wet day here in Somerset UK so I decided to bite the bullet and check the valve clearance as it has over 5000 miles on the clock and never been checked, done it by removing ride side panel luggage bucket and spark plug access left the battery box in position,the hardest part was removing the the two screws just in front of the rear light I use a Phillips bit in a ratchet spanner lucky no clips broken, inlet 004" exhaust 010" so no adjustment needed , thanks Homie for u tube film invaluable, lafree
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Hi, Wet day here in Somerset UK so I decided to bite the bullet and check the valve clearance as it has over 5000 miles on the clock and never been checked, done it by removing ride side panel luggage bucket and spark plug access left the battery box in position,the hardest part was removing the the two screws just in front of the rear light I use a Phillips bit in a ratchet spanner lucky no clips broken, inlet 004" exhaust 010" so no adjustment needed , thanks Homie for u tube film invaluable, lafree
Thanks for sharing your valve adjustment story on your 2016. . .. So no adjustment needed at 5K miles eh? Good stuff! :D

Time for a Foster's Lager perhaps . . .. ;)
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

Where is the url (link) to Homie's utube?

I have seen 2 utube videos re checking VC, but 90-95% is how to remove the covers - LOL.
pcx888
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2011
Color: pearl white

Post by pcx888 »

What the correct size of feeler gauges. .009 is exhaust and 0.004 is for intake. BUT if you read .009 feeler gauge is not .24 its .229 so im confused.
2011 White PCX
Michelin Tire City Grip Front and Rear
Aftermarket Thai Seat.
JDM Front lights and Rear Lights and Fender.
NCY Variator, And Face and 13 Dr. pulley sliders.
Rear NCY 1000 contra spring.
NCY Textured clutch bell.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

smrbike wrote:I have seen 2 utube videos re checking VC, but 90-95% is how to remove the covers - LOL.
Here's some nitty gritty actual close up tooling of the tappets if you do get all the covers off :)
His clearance tolerances are the same as with all PCX engines. https://youtu.be/s0K-ytyjOFg
smrbike

Post by smrbike »

pcx888 wrote:What the correct size of feeler gauges. .009 is exhaust and 0.004 is for intake. BUT if you read .009 feeler gauge is not .24 its .229 so im confused.
You may be confusing English and Metric.
0.009" equals 0.2286 mm

Google "convert in mm"