Left Hand Brake Lever

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Thichtake82
Year: 2017
Color: Blue

Left Hand Brake Lever

Post by Thichtake82 »

Hello all, My name is Erika and I am totally new to this site so I appreciate all of your honest and educated replies.

I just purchased a 2017 Honda PCX and am loving riding it.

Have had the scooter for about a month now and I am noticing the left hand brake lever is so much LESS sensitive than my right hand brake lever.

Meaning I have to pull on my left hand lever much harder to even get the brakes to engage.

Is this normal? Do I just need to take it back to the dealership and have them adjust my brake lever?

Thank you in advance.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: Left Hand Brake Lever

Post by Jge64 »

Normal, the left brake engages the front/rear combined braking system, the right just the front.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

You may need to adjust the back brake some. There is an adjustment nut on the left side by the back tire. It is below everything else when you look at the rear tire on the left side. Turn the nut and try the brake lever to see if you are tightening or loosening it. After you get it so that the lever feels tighter then make sure that the rear brake is not making contact with the drum when not engaged by turning the rear wheel. You should be able to feel when it is doing so. Then you would need to back it off a little bit.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The left lever operates a completely different type of braking system, on the rear wheel it is a bowden cable operated brake like on a regular bicycle.
The left lever also operates one third of the front brake.
The combination of the two means you need quite a lot of input force.
The right lever is a hydraulic brake, much more powerful, much less input force required.
The "feel" of each will never match, you just have to get used to them over time.
The more you ride the more you won't notice ;)
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong