FOBO On Stock Valve Stems

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2018
Color: Blue

FOBO On Stock Valve Stems

Post by d1ckyh »

So I ordered a set of the FOBO TPM for my new scooter. I understand that the valve stems on this bike are rubber and just now read that they should be put on metal valve stems. Wish they would have put that in the product description. Anyway. I know it's gonna cost some $$$ to get and have the metal valve stems put on.

So my question is if anyone has used these on the stock stems and if any problems were encountered?

I'm not willing to put out extra cash right now as these already set me back $100. So if I can't or shouldn't put these on stock valve stems, they are going back to Amazon.

Any input would be appreciated!
PCX - Peace Comes with eXcellence

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: FOBO On Stock Valve Stems

Post by gn2 »

Complete waste of $100, get them sent back for a refund ASAP.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

What is your reasoning/experience? I was looking for a way to monitor tire pressure without having to use a tire gauge all of the time. Thanks

gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

The reasoning is that you don't need to perform the two minute task of checking tyre pressures more than once a week.
You would be far better getting yourself a decent quality accurate gauge and pocketing the change.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

If a tire is leaking for whatever reason, I'd like to know in advance so a: I can take the steps to fix it and b: if I'm losing air while riding, I'd like to know about it before it causes problems riding. As my bike is my sole transportation, I'm not a fan of heading off to work only to discover I had a flat. If I knew it was leaking then I'd have an opportunity to fix it beforehand. I'm a fan of "Be Prepared".

My question was can it be put on a rubber valve stem and not if I should buy it. I have my reasons as listed. I appreciate the feedback, though.

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

I’ve Been using fobo on my scooter for two years, works perfectly.....

You need to go thru my thread below in my sig, virtually everything your thinking about, I’ve done or tried...and if you want to see my pcx, we're in the same town and we can meet for coffee.....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

When I Bought my new ctx, I went to buy fobo and the ctx guys recc'd this system, half the price and no need to check phone, been using it for a month and works great....mount inside the left side door for n a PCX.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B076D ... UTF8&psc=1
Glen
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

Yeah, I considered that as well. I was concerned about battery draw having it hooked up to the port inside the glove box. that and the fact that I can get notifications on the phone when home and at work that a tire is losing pressure was my justification to buy the fobo. So long as I can attach to the stock rubber stems, I think I'll keep them. going out to go somewhere to find a tire flat is a headache. at least if I know it's losing pressure i can get ahead of it.

Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Jge64 »

d1ckyh wrote:Yeah, I considered that as well. I was concerned about battery draw having it hooked up to the port inside the glove box. that and the fact that I can get notifications on the phone when home and at work that a tire is losing pressure was my justification to buy the fobo. So long as I can attach to the stock rubber stems, I think I'll keep them. going out to go somewhere to find a tire flat is a headache. at least if I know it's losing pressure i can get ahead of it.
Agree, the unit does not draw all the time, the batt lasts months, before it needs a connection to usb for 10 min....also, With Fobo, until you are within 10 or 15 feet of the bike, you won't get an low pressure alarm when you're at home/work/in your house. Its bluetooth,not LTE/wireless.
Glen
d1ckyh
Regular User
Regular User

Post by d1ckyh »

LOL, the scooter is literally 15 feet away from me at home and work