honda pcx 125 fron brake calipers issue!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

retry
Year: 2014
Color: silver

honda pcx 125 fron brake calipers issue!

Post by retry »

hello,
I changed my brake pads today and cleaned/ greased brake caliper pistons, while I was doing so I noticed, that middle piston (out of 3 pistons) is not moving out when applying the brakes, so I pull it out with pliers and cleaned/greased... tried again- nothing... bleed system tried again - nothing .. what is wrong ? maybe any suggestions ? THank you!
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Re: honda pcx 125 fron brake calipers issue!

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Check the CBS and fluid level for it (the hole next to the ignition key)...
retry

Post by retry »

checked fluid is there is did bleed it just now.. seems to me it is just not working... it not really important for CBS to be working?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Just to confirm, its definitely the left lever you're pulling to make the centre piston work...?

There are two separate brake systems in the front caliper and both need bled individually.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
superandyp
Year: 2016
Color: Red

Post by superandyp »

To pump the brake lever and actuate the cbs effectively, bringing out the centre piston, I found it best to slacken off the rear drum adjuster. That way the lever travels further. Then when the piston protrudes, give it a good clean with some break cleaner and a tooth brush
retry

Post by retry »

yes im pumping left handle.
o it is really nice idea to take cable from rear brake to apply more pressure to a cbs caliper.. will try it tomorrow TNX!
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

By CBS i meant the ( what the hell is the name for it in EN? in french it's "répartiteur") - the metal distributing mecanism that activates both front and rear brake from a single cable and that is located under the windscreen and intrument cover.
How far out have you pulled that middle piston out when cleaning? I have usually found that one of the two pistons top and bottom from right lever ( so not the CBS) would not go out but the middle one never seen any problem... Strange....check that the metal anti squeal plate on caliper is not blocking/ scraping , it's really close to the central piston

Just my 2 cents

I'm really pi***ed at how many times a year i have to clean my pistons in the calipers to try to get a proper braking , i feel like i have bought a Enfield not an Honda. ( no offence meant to Enfields)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Changed my pads a while back after 13500 miles, the calipers and whole brake area was really dirty due to day in day out use all year round for 3+ years. Had issues removing the pistons and getting things together, and some of the pistons are a little pitted, but not seen any issues with brake performance. Brake fluid is original and came up high once pads changed.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

tomtomclub2005 wrote:I'm really pi***ed at how many times a year i have to clean my pistons in the calipers to try to get a proper braking , i feel like i have bought a Enfield not an Honda. ( no offence meant to Enfields)
All you need to do for proper braking on an Enfield is shut the throttle :lol:

Have you seen the new twins yet...?
Much prettiness.

Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Interceptor in the pic. Nice looking. Bet it sounds good too. Will have to watch for the new ones on the street if/when they become available where I live. 8)
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

gn2 wrote: All you need to do for proper braking on an Enfield is shut the throttle :lol:
:lol: True - I had in mind the old ones, given the reputation to loosen all their bolts due to vibration. - Man, that interceptor looks tasty...
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Reading several posts it seems people sometimes grease the pistons - the service manual says the front brake pistons should have a coat of brake fluid applied to them once cleaned and not any type of grease.
So, for those that have cleaned the front brake assembly, do you use brake fluid for the pistons to aid them sliding into the caliper housing or brake fluid?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:
tomtomclub2005 wrote:I'm really pi***ed at how many times a year i have to clean my pistons in the calipers to try to get a proper braking , i feel like i have bought a Enfield not an Honda. ( no offence meant to Enfields)
All you need to do for proper braking on an Enfield is shut the throttle :lol:

Have you seen the new twins yet...?
Much prettiness.

Lovely. The engine does have a hint of the old Enfield twins.
dick the den
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2013

Post by dick the den »

That or a Triumph Street twin