Removing CBS?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

RobBob
Year: 2016
Color: White

Removing CBS?

Post by RobBob »

Is it possible to remove the CBS all together from new pcx 2018 and just have normal braking ? Would that be hard? My concern is about all the reports of the front wheel locking and coming off the bike. Also when I'm in Thailand the roads are slippery in rain season and when driving on a little gravel the front wheel slides too easy... CBS is a real danger. Unless they wired it so I can use rear brake separately but they didn't for some reason made the opposite so the front brake is separate.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Removing CBS?

Post by Mel46 »

Well, you know that the front brake is separately controlled with the right brake lever, but as far as making it so that the left only controls the rear, that's a different story. Someone on the forum was working on it, but I don't know what happened in the end. I know that Honda set up the CBS so they wouldn't have to put ABS brakes on the scooters, so I don't think they would be happy if it could easily be bypassed.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Color: Fast White

Post by alx123 »

Never experienced it, only one time when I used the front brake hard. Thus, my desire for an ABS.

CBS Rear brake application seem to activate only one piston on the front brake, it's more or less around 20-30% of the front braking power. I beleive it is not possible to lock the front using the CBS (unless it was not adjusted correctly)

I believe it is possible to remove it. Or better yet, adjust it to lessen the front braking to a lesser grip.

An ABS could've solved our worries though...
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
Ozpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014

Post by Ozpcx »

It would be possible to modify the brakes, but not sure it is worth the effort.

The left lever is a cable that runs to a unit near the rear of the headlight which splits force between a cable to the rear drum and a master cylinder to the front brake. You could plug the master which may change rear feel. That left current activates the middle piston on the front caliper which is one of the small pistons.

The right lever feeds the top and bottom piston in the front caliper. You could run 2 hydraulic lines from the right lever to the two banjo bolts on the front caliper OR get a hydraulic junction off a wreck and just run short lines to the caliper. Doing so will change the relative hydraulic ratios. My gut feeling is it will increase lever travel a little, but improve feel at the front lever.

As I said, probably not worth the effort....unless you have the spares lying around.
RobBob

Post by RobBob »

First I wanted to add Rear disc brake instead of drum. I was hoping it would then be a simple swap of a cable from left to right lever if I did wanted to use CBS and then wiring the left lever cable to rear disc brake instead of front. In theory sounds easy but I have a feeling they have parts made specially for left or right so it's not that easy of a swap :( And I don't really know what I'm talking about!
Ozpcx
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by Ozpcx »

Changing the rear to disc would be beyond me. The right lever is all hydraulic. The left starts as cable and splits to a cable to the rear and hydraulic to the front. Perhaps learn to be gentle with the left brake??

I know what you mean wanting separate front and rear brake control - that would be my preference also.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

It's kind of been covered here before now - not saying it's wise to do this as nothing wrong with the CBS as such.
http://hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=1936
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

Consider upgrading to an Nmax 155. :)
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

RobBob wrote:Is it possible to remove the CBS all together from new pcx 2018 and just have normal braking ?
Welcome RobBob, I see you made it over from Youtube with this question and you have made a couple friends. PLEASE be careful if you intend to go after such a project with PCX brakes and restrain from any detailed tutorials if you are successful in here. Upper echelon mechanical skills would be required for your quest and some of us might get ourselves injured trying. Get a service manual for your 2018 model and keep us posted.
RobBob

Post by RobBob »

I was looking at the new Nmax, the 300cc is available in Thailand so I might get that instead of 155. For PCX I will try and replace the whole braking system back to standard. I believe braking should be more direct and to full control of the driver. I rather trust myself than some faulty braking system marketing campaign.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Post by Jge64 »

I don’t know where everybody gets this that the braking system is bad on the PCX. I have ridden for 40 years and I’ve clamped down on both my pcx levers in a couple emergency situations, and gotten great results. My CBS will stay, You may be different.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Jge64 wrote:I don’t know where everybody gets this that the braking system is bad on the PCX. I have ridden for 40 years and I’ve clamped down on both my pcx levers in a couple emergency situations, and gotten great results. My CBS will stay, You may be different.
Totally agree! :) (I will also keep my NBC and ABC :lol: )
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Changing CBS...bad ju ju!
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I like the CBS on my bike. It has really impress me when I have used them in emergency situations.

By looking at the diagram on thread shared by iceman, it shouldn't be that hard. The way I would go about it is to get a replacement cable for the rear brake that goes from the handle bar to the rear drum brake and custom lines for front brake caliper, which would need a T fitting. If you live close to a farming area, there should be a hydraulics shop that can source you custom lines.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

RobBob wrote:I was looking at the new Nmax, the 300cc is available in Thailand so I might get that instead of 155. For PCX I will try and replace the whole braking system back to standard. I believe braking should be more direct and to full control of the driver. I rather trust myself than some faulty braking system marketing campaign.
In my opinion, better sell your PCX and buy an Nmax (or Xmax300) where you can have all the controls you want in each brake , plus the ABS. Trying to remove/restructure the CBS might create some complications and jeopardize your braking system, and might cause an insurance claim void.

but if you plan to go with it, please give us an update here. good luck

I never had problem with CBS, 2 years of riding it in Bangkok streets. the only time I locked the front brake is when I suddenly brake using the front and didn't use the CBS rear brake. I believe CBS makes the PCx stop much faster without getting a fishtail..
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Color: white

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Is'nt there a forum rule that forbids discussing mods that can have lethal consequences? I'm member of an audio forum where any mods or "tweaks" that are unsafe or dangerous (there's mains voltage involved and in the case of tube amps over 400V- what do you think will happen if your metal case becomes live?) are strictly forbidden. I'm not too happy with the brakes of the pcx but disconnecting CBS is not the solution. There are not enough riders and even less so DIY'ers. Be safe.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

Disabling CBS is not disabling front or rear brakes - it's seperating front and rear brake action. That said, I've no issues with CBS nor would ever want to mess with it. Indeed, disabling the CBS like some people have without alternative braking, means the front now has only two pistons working rather than three.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

Other than replacing brake pads or fluid I've always left my brake systems stock as they came from the factory on all my motorcycles and my first scooter. My second scooter, the PCX, in my opinion has adequate brakes. I have no complaints. . .other than it's tough to see the fluid level in the CBS fluid well. That being said I think the tires and type of riding conditions have to be taken into consideration as well. 8)
dkazzed
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: N/A

Post by dkazzed »

I wish my bike had CBS. I test rode a Honda Reflex with CBS & ABS and I thought it was brilliant.
2015 Honda CB300F ABS
Dragon_uk
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2015

Post by Dragon_uk »

As some of you guys have said already no need to get involved and start messing with CBS as it does its job
But for those who love to mess about with tools this is how I would've done it.
Buy longer rear brake cable and connect it straight from lever to rear drum. That's that sorted.
Lose short cable that goes from rear brake lever to CBS under headlight and you only use two pistons. That's that also sorted.
If you wish to have full braking potential of front brakes split front brake line and connect it to both bolts in front caliper and all three pistons will be engaging together.
Hope this helps those who wondered how to do it.