Coolant Top-off or Replace

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

hookedonit
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016
Color: Candy Red

Coolant Top-off or Replace

Post by hookedonit »

So, just about near my 600 mile marker, and I noticed my coolant was extremely low, as in hovering at the low mark on my reservoir.
I read about bleeding and during the break-in this can happen, so not fretting it.

Should I replace or top off.
The scooter was an unused pcx150 2016, that was sitting at the dealers for quite some time.
I must presume its Honda Blue-2, but should I replace it out right, and if so, any one have the service manual I could have to help me along, or have been gracious to create a how to guide/video?

If I top-off should that be distilled-water only? <- I wanted to confirm that as right/wrong.
Or should I just drop in more HBlue2?

Thanks!
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Coolant Top-off or Replace

Post by Mel46 »

If you are going to let the dealer do the 600 mile service, remind them when you drop it off. Otherwise, buy the 'recommended' coolant from the dealer and top it by way of the overflow tank. When I purchased some they sold it by the quart, I believe. I have 2013 model and my overflow tank is accessed from the storage compartment. I am not sure if the newer models access it the same way.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

And here's how-to Top-it-off :) EZ, do read the whole thread. Cheers!
http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=7979
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Take it to the dealer and have them inspect it.
Then they can determine why its low and repair accordingly before any further damage is done.
Its what the warranty is for....
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

gn2 wrote:Take it to the dealer and have them inspect it.
Then they can determine why its low and repair accordingly before any further damage is done.
Its what the warranty is for....

X2
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

WhiteNoise wrote:And here's how-to Top-it-off :) EZ, do read the whole thread. Cheers!
Thats for the PCX Forza has a little different procedure.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:
WhiteNoise wrote:And here's how-to Top-it-off :) EZ, do read the whole thread. Cheers!
Thats for the PCX Forza has a little different procedure.

Forget that. Get the dealer to sort it under warranty
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

If convenient to ride to the dealer and wait several hours ,or dropping it off then getting a ride to get it works for you then that would be best.However you can also add a few ounces of 50/50 mix antifreeze to top off and go merrily on your way.Just watch for any loss or abnormalities.You did not indicate you observed any abnormal leakage or any overheating.If you observe continued losses then you will need to pursue further diagnosis and then your warranty should be utilized.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

easyrider wrote:You did not indicate you observed any abnormal leakage or any overheating.
Can you explain how you would detect overheating on a scooter with no temperature gauge before it becomes a problem...?

The scooter HAS to go for a proper check by an expert to see exactly what the problem is. Or isn't.
Could be the usual crack in the expansion tank or it could be absence of a cylinder head gasket.

None of us can accurately diagnose it from a forum post.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

If it was a crack there would be spillage,if it was no head gasket which is doubtful it would run badly because liquid would foul the engine spark plugs,and he said it never overheated and if the res was just a little low then it would not overheat.There was no water coming out of the exhaust.Sooo it is up to the owner if he has the time ,loss from work,or needing a ride or trailer..may all be for nothing if the reservoir was not filled properly.You may be right and it may need some serious repair but doing some DIY checks may save the person a lot of time and inconvenience and expenses.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

However you can also add a few ounces of 50/50 mix antifreeze to top off and go merrily on your way.Just watch for any loss or abnormalities.
I'd do this first. Just fill the overflow tank to the proper level and see if it continues to drop. With only 600 miles on the engine, the overflow tank may have simply done it's job and filled an engine / radiator that wasn't properly full from the factory.

If you've already done this and the coolant level has continued to drop, that's a different story and I'd get it to the dealer to resolve the leak problem.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:
However you can also add a few ounces of 50/50 mix antifreeze to top off and go merrily on your way.Just watch for any loss or abnormalities.
I'd do this first. Just fill the overflow tank to the proper level and see if it continues to drop. With only 600 miles on the engine, the overflow tank may have simply done it's job and filled an engine / radiator that wasn't properly full from the factory.

If you've already done this and the coolant level has continued to drop, that's a different story and I'd get it to the dealer to resolve the leak problem.

This is most likely the case. The last new cars I have had have done that. Coolant dropped in the first couple of hundred miles and then remained constant.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

^^ Ditto ^^
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
hookedonit
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by hookedonit »

Ok, went down and picked up some Honda Blue-type 2 from my local dealer. Topped her off. Checking her before and after each ride and no changes so far! Thanks for the help and advice, I'll update here if anything changes!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Ok, went down and picked up some Honda Blue-type 2 from my local dealer. Topped her off. Checking her before and after each ride and no changes so far! Thanks for the help and advice, I'll update here if anything changes!
Sounds good so far!

If it's going to show a problem, it will be after the engine has had a chance to cool down and fluid contracts - and thus "pulls back" the antifreeze from the overflow tank into the engine/ radiator.

If the overflow tank level rises a little bit when the engine is hot and then falls back to a constant cold level after several hot/ cold cycles it means your system is purged of all air, and the overflow is rising/ falling just a bit due to fluid expansion/ contraction as it's designed to do.
hookedonit
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by hookedonit »

quick update here, no change to the coolant level since topping the scooter off with the Honda coolant!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Good news, and thanks for posting that update !