Clicking noise over bumps

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

suyyethpou
Year: 2015
Color: White

Clicking noise over bumps

Post by suyyethpou »

Hi all Pcx users, anyone observe that while driving in the smooth road the sound is okay but driving over bumps clicking noise too loud in under handlebar . Do u know how to fix it or something is broken. Thanks.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014
Color: white

Re: Clicking noise over bumps

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I have the same issue. It's the one of the most annoying things and it buggers me totally- It sounds as if the scooter is going to fall apart! In my case the noise appeared just after i installed YSS valves in the front. i have opened twice the windshield and below to see if there were any cables that came out of their retainers but it does'nt look so. It might be the steering stem that is a bit loose but when i shake the front wheel i cannot feel any play. to tighten the steering stem you have to dismantle half your scooter, so i have not done that ...
hookedonit
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2016
Color: Candy Red

Post by hookedonit »

Is it your keys hitting the dash? That is mine clicking over bumps..
Do you have anything on your keychain?
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

It is not from keys, there is also nothing in the glovebox. It's definetly coming from under the dashboard/windshield , and it is a rattle rather than clicks- it's not a vibration either. Happens 100% on cobblestones and some bumps. I have checked for loose cables but could not find anything. I thought it could be LED controller hitting something just over the headlamps but who knows? I'll try to post a video.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I had that on and off for over a year, but for the past year seems to have gone away. Thought it sounded like a cable bundle and plugs knocking against something. You sure in your case(s) it's not coming from under the front wheel where there are some cable bundles tucked high up?
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

yes that was my first port when checking: i followed the brake lines then opened up below the widshield to see if any cable came loose from their retainers. It's a rat's nest there below, could'nt see anything strange or suspect. I checked against a vietnamese pdf which shows wich cable goes where btw, as it's nowhere to be seen in my service manual.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017

Post by PCX150Rider »

According to page 17-5 of the SM a noisy suspension can be caused by a bent fork slider, insufficient fluid in the fork, or loose fork fasteners.

Also, according to the maintenance schedule (post '13 model) the suspension should be checked every 2,500 miles. The steering head bearings at 600, then 7,500, and then 15,000 miles. Or about every 7,500 miles depending upon how long you own it of course. Reference page 3-5 of the SM.

Here's a short video that explains steering head bearing issues and what to look for. I couldn't readily find one for a PCX but you get the idea.

tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Here's a short video, ignore the images ( riding with one hand on terrible cobblestone street). Focus to the klokloklock sound . it's much more annoying live than in the video, but you get an idea

[youtube]https://youtu.be/PJ-oi9oc4Og[/youtube]

https://youtu.be/PJ-oi9oc4Og
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Here's a short video, ignore the images ( riding with one hand on terrible cobblestone street). Focus to the klokloklock sound . it's much more annoying live than in the video, but you get an idea
Yup. . .I hear the klacking noises. Rather somewhat dubious indeed. :o

FWIW I wonder if something like a stone or piece of road debris got up into (or fell down into) the panels and sits there bouncing around every time you hit a bump.

Upon further investigation I found that Homie has already done a couple of videos that cover the inspection points on suspension, braking systems, and steering head bearings. Somehow I missed them on my original inquiry. :roll:

Here they are: 8)

Good luck getting to the crux of the matter soon! Let us know what you find out. :geek:
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

One more thing. . ..

I get a bit of a gauge cluster rattle. . .or ticky tacky noise sometimes on my Suzuki Bandit. . .over bumps. It's due to the fact that the mounts have been worn a bit (30,000+ miles). On different bikes I've owned over the years I've had an occasional speedometer cable loosen up as well. But that is a dead giveaway because the speedometer just stops working. It can happen at the gauge or the wheel.

But in your case. . .and in other's that I've read. . .I'm beginning to think that it's the gauge clusters mounting areas or interface with surrounding materials that is the cause of the noises. If there's not that much mileage on the machine and all the suspension areas of concern check out OK then I think it's a good possibility it could be a benign problem. . .an annoyance. Just guessing. So far with 2,000 plus miles on mine it's OK. The only noises I heard were my key fob bouncing around or stuff I had in the glove box. 8)
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Thanks Rider for taking your time answering. I have another recording made this morning below. It's funny because in video it does not sound so bad while in real life it's *really* upsetting. I doubt it's a piece of debris because it would do it on every bump- here what happens is that it takes cobblestones ( does it everytime) or a certain type of bumps to trigger it, preferably a set of repeated bumps - then the koklokloklokolklok noise starts. On other, single bumps nothing happens (most) of the time. So it's erratic.
I have done the tests to check for any play in the steering stem but it feels OK. I will double check that (god knows how long it's going to take to dismantle the bodywork to reach the stem :/)
Since this started after i installed the YSS valves i should also dismantle the forks and check if the valves are seated correctly, and if there is not too much oil in the forks. Would be surprised since was not the first time I've installed YSS valves, but who knows...

[youtube]https://youtu.be/z5HU4qPsJ90[/youtube]
Play it HD.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I was able to get the link to work. . .. :D

Tough nut to crack. . .no pun intended. I've used a hammer and a flat head screwdriver to tighten my steering head bearing (adjustment collar) on my KLR. I did loosen up the bolts on the tree to allow movement during adjustment as shown on the other video. That one I do have to adjust at least once a year and it will make a slight noise on abrupt bumps when it starts to loosen up. The handing isn't as firm either. PITA but better safe than sorry. :roll:

BTW I was in Brussels and Bruges back in 1970 on a school sponsored trip. Took the train from Paris. Great time! :D
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

Can't the scoot be put on the center stand (engine off of course) and have someone straddle the scoot on the far rear of the seat or on the rear carrier to shift weight onto the rear wheel - thus lifting the front wheel off the ground ....

While the rear tire is kept on the ground, you goto the front, grab the fork tubes down low near the axle or grab the front wheel and see if there's any front / rear movement or replicating of the noise.

On MCs I've had, any steering head play is readily evident doing this.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I can't feel any significant play in the steering stem. There is however a faint squeal when i turn the wheel left to right with front wheel lifted from ground. It will need greasing at the minimum. Now that's going to be fun. A member of the french PCX forum had to dismantle half his scooter to reach for the steering stem, he was not happy at all...His pic below
Attachments
colonne direction.jpg
colonne direction.jpg (116.6 KiB) Viewed 3546 times
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

Follow-up: There is no play in my steering stem. However i do have a "flat spot" dead center when turning the handlebars with wheels lifted. So i will replace both bearing and races, waiting for parts to arrive...
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018

Post by springer1 »

Thanks for the followup - Will be interesting if you uncover a broken ball or race issue.
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I've just spent from 11h20 until 17H45 non stop changing the bearings and the races with a friend who's a retired mech. I'm bloody exhausted and so is my friend - I'll post some pics in the next days.
You have to dismantle everything on a V3. Never swore so much in my life. Now i'm left with a couple broken tabs and 3 bolts I've no idea where they came from... :geek: .

When we took the front wheel off with the forks , bike lifted it was just terrible turning the steering stem. if felt completely stepped and rough - something to be felt to beleive - even though that did not seem obvious while riding. Well it's obvious now that I am enjoying a totally new bike and that's great but frankly i hope i'll never have to do this again.
My bike PCX 125 V3 frmo december 2014 with almost 20.000 kms.

My back is hurting so enough for now, cheers
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

Wow. . ..

Time for a brew to relax. . . and maybe some good food. 8)

Thanks for letting us know your progress with this and the upcoming briefing to follow with the details. :geek:

BTW if it were me I'd really try to figure out where those leftover fasteners were from. Maybe determine their size and if you have the Service Manual back track through the steps you took and look for fastener identifications along the way to try and narrow it down. :geek:

The broken tabs you mean on the panels? :?

I think you are about 5 hours later in the day than my time so it does seem a good time for a brew and some TV! :D
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

BTW PCX150Rider, if you were in Brussels in the 70's you should really come and visit again if you have the chance! The city has gone from a small almost provincial town to a very cosmoplitan one. You'll meet people from all over thanks to the EU institutions and this an english speaking friendly place. The food is amazing and bars are something of a local specialty (do i need to mention the beers?). Paris is only 1 1/2 hours by train nowadays so this is great place to come and chill out if you visit France. I've got several friends in Paris who would come and establish themselves here if they had the chance - it's cheaper and quality of life is nicer.

Got family duties today so will catch up tomorrow and geez- i can stll feel the 6 hours of work on the pcx yesterday in my back- not getting any younger...
tomtomclub2005
Regular User
Regular User

Post by tomtomclub2005 »

I started a new thread here: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=8459 on the bearings replacement