Valve clearance question

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

pcxflame
Year: 2011
Color: red

Valve clearance question

Post by pcxflame »

Hi
New to the forum just picked up a 2011 PCX 125 with just over 4K miles on it. Was wondering if anyone had ever went thru all the disassembly required and found the valve clearance bad out of spec. I've owned a few bikes and never found a Honda out of spec for valve clearance. Kawasaki and Suzuki that's another story.
montliz44
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013,2014
Color: red+redder

Re: Valve clearance question

Post by montliz44 »

Hi and welcome, pcxflame.

You've just stumbled upon a fairly hot topic around here, which is probably why nobody except foolish ol' me has jumped up and answered your question yet. Let me give it a shot:

I'd say there are three valve adjustment theory groups here on the forum. People in the first group take their scooter to their authorized Honda service center, just like it says to do in the owners' manual. They achieve a certain level of peace of mind at the cost of a few hundred pounds or dollars, but never really know whether their engines actually needed the adjustment or not (or whether the adjustment actually took place, for that matter).

The second group (let's call them the compulsive mechanics group just for fun) take their scooter apart themselves and check and adjust their own valves. As far as I know none of these folks have found serious out-of-spec clearances, but they have the peace of mind of knowing for sure what's going on inside their engine and the quite real satisfaction of a job well done.

People in the third group ride their scooter every day and don't much worry about washing it when it rains and say that it's a scooter and a Honda to boot and that if it starts right up and doesn't make noise don't even think about adjusting the valves. Just change the oil from time to time and ride the thing until further notice. As far as I know, none of these folks have experienced engine failure or damage due to incorrect valve adjustment and continue to ride as if everything's ok, which it probably is.

So pick a group, any group, pcxflame, and enjoy your new scoot and welcome to the forum.

Johnny
One PCX, One Forza -- Twice the fun, half the money!
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Here ya go, below Utubes are courtesy of Homie, a forum member. Two points ..... 1) The little tabs that attach many of the body parts are easy to remove, they are 2 part. Push the little center pin in and the outer sleeve - as well as the center - lifts easily right out. 2) Buy a cheap set of 'auto body trim tools" and it makes body part separating & removals easier .... they cost maybe $10-$15 on amazon, no need for an expensive set. Lastly - Search up archives on valve adjustment - or just post questions if you run info issues. Just take your time with the body removal and make it a fun job - no problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ierh8gBeuLg

and

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
Lafree
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2016
Color: White

Post by Lafree »

Hi, I admit to group 3 new in May 16 and valve clearance never Been checked when the 600 mile was done I asked the Honda garage if they check valve clearance and they said if they are not rattling leave well alone,my scooter has covered 4500 miles so I feel I should bite the bullet and check them, oil has been changed every 1500 miles and I clean it regular.
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

I like that analysis montliz44 ;) "pick your group"

For those that take them apart rather than hand over to the gorillas or treat like a disposable item part of the FUN with ownership IS taking them apart :lol:

Awe... I miss summer already

Robbie
Regular User
Regular User
Color: Grey

Post by Robbie »

montliz44 wrote:Hi and welcome, pcxflame.

You've just stumbled upon a fairly hot topic around here, which is probably why nobody except foolish ol' me has jumped up and answered your question yet. Let me give it a shot:

I'd say there are three valve adjustment theory groups here on the forum. People in the first group take their scooter to their authorized Honda service center, just like it says to do in the owners' manual. They achieve a certain level of peace of mind at the cost of a few hundred pounds or dollars, but never really know whether their engines actually needed the adjustment or not (or whether the adjustment actually took place, for that matter).

The second group (let's call them the compulsive mechanics group just for fun) take their scooter apart themselves and check and adjust their own valves. As far as I know none of these folks have found serious out-of-spec clearances, but they have the peace of mind of knowing for sure what's going on inside their engine and the quite real satisfaction of a job well done.

People in the third group ride their scooter every day and don't much worry about washing it when it rains and say that it's a scooter and a Honda to boot and that if it starts right up and doesn't make noise don't even think about adjusting the valves. Just change the oil from time to time and ride the thing until further notice. As far as I know, none of these folks have experienced engine failure or damage due to incorrect valve adjustment and continue to ride as if everything's ok, which it probably is.

So pick a group, any group, pcxflame, and enjoy your new scoot and welcome to the forum.

Johnny
I think that's pretty much spot on and must admit I am in group 2. I took the engine out (not for valves, but to fix the centre stand issue which affects 2011 models) and took the opportunity to check valves. They were bang on after 13,000 miles.
rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

Post by rvkssl »

A group 2 here also, found nothing out of the ordinary ;)
pcxflame
Color: red

Post by pcxflame »

thanx for the input, I guess I'm in the group three
The Fleet
2007 Ninja 250
2009 Vulcan 500
2011 PCX125
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

@ Johnny: Like! Well done/written!
Let's just say, "That's a wrap!" :D ;)
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

I'd consider myself a group 4. Maybe I'm the only group 4 member. . .dunno. . .but so far so good with my PCX.

I do change the oil and gear oil and clean the filter screens IAW the Service Manual and check the tire pressures every now and then but although I live in the U.S. I have relied on the U.K. Owners Manual which recommends valve checks and or adjustments about every 4000 miles. . .at least for the 2017 PCX 150 models. Probably the 2018's as well although I haven't seen it. We get IRC tires and the U.K. gets City Grips. It is what it is.
IMG_3241ManualUK1.jpg
IMG_3241ManualUK1.jpg (1.17 MiB) Viewed 2530 times
Washing, waxing, and vinyl treatment gets applied as needed. FWIW I've logged just over 2000 miles so far since I bought it the end of May and couldn't be happier with it's performance and reliability.

I ride mine year round but when the snow flies and the salt gets tossed on the roads I revert back to my 49cc Genuine Roughhouse for the daily errands. It's kind of an off road looking scoot anyways.

Spring can't get here quick enough for me! 8)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Spring can't get here quick enough for me! 8)
Yep !
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

Group 4....
Never get the valves checked....but worry that they should... ..finding some slight solace in knowing that many others are doing the same.
Group 5....they point at group four as proof that it isn't necessary.....maybe.

FISH
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Group 2, my exhaust valve was a bit tight at 13,000 miles, intake was fine.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

Can we have a "monkeys left tit" group.

Actually don't :lol: