Honda PCX 150cc 2017 Key Issue

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

ladyraven
Year: 2017
Color: Pearl Blue

Honda PCX 150cc 2017 Key Issue

Post by ladyraven »

Honda PCX 150 2017
My key and wallet were stolen it was the key that had the number plate on it.
I have my extra key however, it gets stuck a bit in the ignition. Went to local Honda Dealer and the service manager said he could make a new key if I had a blank key. He said what I needed was to replace the ignition being it was sticking at a cost of 530 dollars plus tax. Another tech told me that is not true to go to a locksmith and see if they can make the key.
The locksmiths are asking if it is a transponder key, I don't know what that means, can anyone tell me 1. is it a transponder key 2. can I get a blank key anywhere.
3 locksmiths say they can make me a key as long as it is NOT a transponder key.
Another locksmith said he can make me a key for 125$ if it is a regular key, if it is a transponder key it will cost 245 dollars, why is the key so expensive? Help please I am a senior, my bike is my only means of transportation any suggestions besides paying 530 dollars which I do not have at this time. We are in a government shutdown which is making things worse. Also, is it worth paying 245 for the extra key, will it work smoother, or will I end up in the near future having to replace the ignition. The service man sprayed something in it and then blew air into it and it is worker better. It just does not go in a smoothly as the key I lost did. Thank you for your help! PS I live in Southern Ca and my bike was made in Vietnam at least that is what the dealer said, I am not sure if they even know and were just telling me that. :) I have 1,400 miles I don't think the ignition should be going at this low mileage. o_O - I forgot which email I signed up with is there any place on my dashboard that will show me what my email used here is I could not find any section. Again thanks.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Honda PCX 150cc 2017 Key Issue

Post by gn2 »

So long as the key isn't visibly damaged it should slide in and out easily.
If it doesn't, the lock is damaged so claim for a new lock under warranty.
Do not mention other key stolen to the dealer, say you lost it.
If that doesn't work maybe try insurance for a new lock.
In the meantime get the scooter hidden away somewhere and keep it well chained up.
Key thief might come back for it, so imo you need to change the lock.

Honda parts get made all over, PCXs are mostly put together in Thailand.

To check your sign up Email, click "User Control Panel" (at the top right)
then click "Profile" (under Options at left)
then click "Edit account settings"
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

If your PCX is out of warranty, you can buy a new lock for a lot less than the Honda dealership have quoted.
https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda ... 00-K35-V01
You would just need to get it fitted somehow.
There might even be a forum member close enough at hand who could help out.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
ladyraven

Post by ladyraven »

The key is not visibly damaged it just sticks a bit when I take it out. I cannot get the ignition replaced it is 540 dollars. I am a disabled senior and it would take me months to save up that amount. One locksmith said if it is a transponder key it would cost 275 to replace. A regular key 150. Another locksmith said if it is not a transponder key they can just cut a new one. However, from what you are saying the new key would most likely stick, too. I am out of warranty. It is a one year warranty. I bought the bike Jan 2017. Are you talking homeowners insurance or my bike insurance? I am with Geico they said the only way they would replace it is if the ignition was damaged from an accident.

2. The part is on 37.50 it's the labor, the book says 5.3 hours at 95 dollars and hour...you get the drift. Buying the part does me no good if I cannot install it. So the 530 plus tax includes the parts and labor. They said they have to remove a bunch of the siding and then the ignition is drilled in and that is why it takes so long to get it out and replace it. He said Honda made these very hard to replace. The service man, not the owner said that I should just get a locksmith to make another key. He said this key should last another 2 years at least , however, he said it is not good for me to have only one key. Thanks to both of your for your suggestions.
ladyraven

Post by ladyraven »

This is what it looks like. I have the key with the octagon, however, it has to be jiggled when I take it out. The other key without the octagon went in easily. I am in So Ca. The bike was made in Vietnam. I spoke with Honda Powersports and they do not know if it is a transponder key. So, they need to call the PCX expert, however, he is not in today. So, I am waiting to hear back from him. Thank you.
Attachments
IMG_0107.jpg
IMG_0107.jpg (33.1 KiB) Viewed 760 times
tjupille
Year: 2013
Color: red

Post by tjupille »

Before doing anything, I would go to a good locksmith and ask if he can clean up the key a bit so that it goes in easily (I've had several keys over the years that just had a rough edge that caught in the lock). Then you have to decide if you can live with only one key (when I got my 2013 the PO had lost one of the keys; I went ahead and had a new one made).

At first glance yours looks similar to the lock on my 2013. You can get blank keys on FleaBay for about $20 (e.g., https://www.ebay.com/itm/Blank-Ignition ... :rk:5:pf:1). When you get it, try it to see if it has the same profile as your existing key (a bit of a gamble there, but if it doesn't work, you're only out $20, which is better than a whole new lock). If the profile matches, a locksmith should be able to cut it to match your existing key for somewhere around $20. You will then have to fiddle with the little magnets that let the head of the key engage the hexagonal shutter release. There are only 16 possible combinations, so it's a bit tedious, but not that difficult to get them right.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

The last question for you, which should have been asked first is do you close the ignition lock shutter when you are not using the bike? If you do not, then you should only worry about getting a key that fits in the ignition.

One cheap way to tell if it is a transponder type would be to go to a hardware store and have a duplicate made of your spare. Then try it in your bike. Don't assume that it is or is not a transponder type. Just get one that is not and try it.

Some of the 2017 models had transponder keys and some didn't. Is your spare key flat or does it have the official Honda logo on a plastic cover over it, like cars?

To show how small the transponder can be, I had a Volvo that had a transponder built into the key, and the part of the key where your fingers go was barely twice the width of the key. I opened the key to see the transponder. It was really really small. It has to match another one just like it within the ignition before the ignition will unlock. I purchased a blank Volvo key off of eBay and took it apart. No transponder. It would be impossible to move the transponder from one key to another. I asked Volvo how much a replacement would cost (one without the remote attached, just to be used as a spare.). They quoted $250. With the one attached to a programmed remote it would be $500 and take 2 hours.

That says a lot about how hard it is to reprogram a spare. It would be cheaper to replace the entire ignition. Here is hoping yours is not a transponder type.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers