Fuel leak

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Fuel leak

Post by Pcxdemon »

Hey all, has anyone here had trouble with fuel leak from the top of the fuel tank when motor is running?! Mine just sprung a leak...
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Re: Fuel leak

Post by Gil »

Could be the fuel vent line leading to the charcoal canister. I would check that first. I only have leaks when I overfill the tank, lol.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Gil wrote:Could be the fuel vent line leading to the charcoal canister. I would check that first. I only have leaks when I overfill the tank, lol.

Gil
Hi Gil, leak is coming from the top of the fuel pump where it's inserted in to the fuel tank, around its base. Maybe a main seal is shafted or the bracket holding the fuel pump has lossened up or top of the fuel pump developed a hairline crack..
Need to disassemble lot of tupaware to get a clear and good look at it.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Oh I see. You might want to buy new gaskets then, the manual recommends new gaskets when removing the fuel pump assembly. Good thing you found your leak. Good Luck.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Found the leak o_O ! Crack on the nipple that connects to the fuel line :| . It's a new fuel pump job. I've posted the video of it on to YouTube
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

Might you consider a link? A quick search was futile...
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Post by PCX150Rider »

Might you consider a link? A quick search was futile...
X2 8)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

I think this is it:

Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Thanks for sharing the video. That's a bigger leak than I imagined.

Gil
ImageImage
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Of course the best thing is to replace the pump, depending on your resources you can also opt for using gas tank sealer epoxy putty. Doesn't look too serious so you might give it a try first.. If it works save yourself some $ and labor. I have used gas tank sealers before with very good success but depends on location pressure etc. Just another thought.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

easyrider wrote:Of course the best thing is to replace the pump, depending on your resources you can also opt for using gas tank sealer epoxy putty. Doesn't look too serious so you might give it a try first.. If it works save yourself some $ and labor. I have used gas tank sealers before with very good success but depends on location pressure etc. Just another thought.
That's a good suggestion easyrider. It would save him about 60 dollars. That's the approach I would take. Those gas tank sealer kits sold at auto parts stores are very effective. I have used the epoxy radiator tank repair kit, in the past, and it has held up great.

Gil
ImageImage
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

GeorgeSK wrote:Might you consider a link? A quick search was futile...
Sorry i got busy afterwards, I forgot. But thanks to other forum member it's on there now..
Cheers
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I've ordered new pump and a o ring of partzilla last night. I'd hate to get that leak again if I'm far from home and can't get help out there. Should be fairly easy job to replace it (I hope!)
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Pcxdemon wrote:I've ordered new pump and a o ring of partzilla last night. I'd hate to get that leak again if I'm far from home and can't get help out there. Should be fairly easy job to replace it (I hope!)
Nothing like peace of mind in knowing that an original part is part of the fix. Good job diagnosing your scoot.

Gil
ImageImage
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Thanks Gil, I've been itching to get back in to the engine and do some more modding, so this gave me a perfect excuse to strip it down.. :lol:
I want to split the triple layer headgasket and just use a single piece to raise the compression a bit. I've done it once before so I know it works and it's safe. Power increase is/was quite noticeable versus lower com triple layer gasket.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

Pcxdemon wrote:Thanks Gil, I've been itching to get back in to the engine and do some more modding, so this gave me a perfect excuse to strip it down.. :lol:
I want to split the triple layer headgasket and just use a single piece to raise the compression a bit. I've done it once before so I know it works and it's safe. Power increase is/was quite noticeable versus lower com triple layer gasket.
I'm intrigued by your head gasket mod. I have heard of thinner head gaskets for modified engines. I was looking at an aftermarket exhaust that's less restrictive and supposedly one horsepower improvement. Only thing beside the cost that a negative for me is the noise. I like the relatively quiet stock exhaust.

In the next couple weeks i'll be attempting to retrofit the 2 gallon fuel tank of the newer PCX. I'll be fitting a Koso water temperature gauge and will be moving the location of the turn signals to the headlight assembly like they did outside of the US.

https://japan.webike.net/products/23448630.html

Gil
ImageImage
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

I've got koso water meter installed, it's good having it especially on a modded motor. Stock motor comes with a single layer headgasket but Takegawa has triple layer. That's ok on a 125 head by once you fit 150 head the comp drops even more to 10.5 I think. I prefer to be in mid 11's to low 12's compression range for best performance and certain degree of reliability.
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

Going back to exhaust, Takegawa makes nice pipes that deff do give better performance and almost stock exhaust noise. They're Mid priced too comparing to lot of others on webike.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

I didn't know that about the Takagawa exhaust. I'll check them out.

Gil
ImageImage
Pcxdemon
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Pcxdemon »

New pump arrived and installed. It came out fairly easy although going back in was bit tricky. All in all,it took me about 10-15 min just to replace the pumps but all up to remove all the tupaware and put it back on together was an hour job.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsJiI6ARc18
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KPvP7z0NWFY