acceleration resulting a momentary stall?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

suzxee1234
Year: 2016
Color: Blue

acceleration resulting a momentary stall?

Post by suzxee1234 »

Hello guys.

I have been observing a "problem" with acceleration on my 2016 pcx for a while...
Here is the description..

when I open the throttle normally/gradually, the scooter starts to go and reach smooth acceleration speed.
But, If I open throttle rather rapidly, the scooter engine feels like a pull back/" jerk and jerk" and refuse to go, for just split seconds until, it reaches the accelerated speed.

Currently 5300km run.
1000km first service was just an oil change, changed oil 2 times after that so far.
No valve clearance check done so far.
Haven't checked the spark plug.
I need ideas on how to deal with water in the fuel tank if you guys suspect of a possibilty.

so how do I tackle this issue?
Your help is appreciated.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Re: acceleration resulting a momentary stall?

Post by Jge64 »

Why would you want to do that? When you dump the throttle you are feeding an overload of more gas/air in… In addition to a very “loose” power transmission system of the belt variator, It will,take a second or two for it to compensate , This is not a fuel rail dragster that has instant hook up of everything, you have a rubber band transmission in feel, and remember It’s a 13 hp scooter.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Possibly water in the fuel.If so under load you should feel jerky.Start by replacing gas.Pump out of your tank and then let's go from there.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

Could it be the stock variator and it's stock performance. When I had my stock variator there was a momentary sluggishness, lack of fast engine rpm change, when gunning it from a stop. Now with my NCY variator and Dr.Pulley weights, the rpms jump right up high rpm power spot, not sure what rpm. Is it performing different than before, when you bought it new? Or, is it something you just noticed?

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
suzxee1234
Year: 2016
Color: Blue

Post by suzxee1234 »

Jge64 wrote: It’s a 13 hp scooter.
You are right. But I think there is more to it than my reckless riding habits.
easyrider wrote:Possibly water in the fuel.If so under load you should feel jerky.

I think so too. And it is exactly what happens, jerking starts when speed accelerates <40km when accelerated gradually or rapidly.
How do you suggest I get rid of water? will syphoning out the fuel using a pipe work? or is there another method?
Gil wrote: Is it performing different than before, when you bought it new? Or, is it something you just noticed?

Gil
I am not sure. I noticed the problem around 2500km run. I thought, like Jge64 said, its due to my actions. So I ignored it. And I don't use higher speeds much.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

It's fuel injected, so wide open throttle won't dump too much fuel, as the computer will give the right amount.

A video of the problem in action could help.

GIl
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

If it’s still under warranty get it checked by a dealer?
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

If its bad gas (water contamination) warranty will not work.. You will pay for the service call..probably one hr plus disposal fees. I would first dump the gas via tube siphoning or small pump.Refill with a known good fuel, then see if the condition gets better , the same etc.. Water will settle at the bottom so you can take a bottom sample and put it in a glass jar and look for separation. There is a paste that you can buy to test for water. You put it on a stick and if it turns red bingo you have water.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

I tried...