Overfilled oil. Did i do any serious damage?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Davepcx
Year: 2018
Color: White

Overfilled oil. Did i do any serious damage?

Post by Davepcx »

Hi, Just registered and already asking a question lol

So i bought my pcx125 almost 2 weeks ago and the following day when i checked the oil level it was right at the miminum.
I topped it up to the max then didnt really think about it again for a few days (approx 100 miles) but when i rechecked it was about quarter way up the dipstick!

After spending the last few days reading this forum (which is awesome btw) i've seen a few people saying it's really bad to overfill it but cant find any info on exactly what damage it would do.
Will i have done any damage ? And is there any checks i should do to make sure ?

I'm asking because it's due it's first service at 600 miles (i'm at 500 now) and the stealer wants to charge me £110 just to do an oil change. I can do the oil change myself but it will void the warranty which i don't want to chance if it's likely i've done some damage by overfilling the oil slightly?

Appreciate any advice...
Thanks
Dave.
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax

Re: Overfilled oil. Did i do any serious damage?

Post by Jge64 »

You haven't done any damage with a slight overfill. And besides that, there's no way that Honda world void your warranty if you have receipts to show you changed the oil. If a dealer tells you that, find another dealer.

Easy way to make sure the oil is right. Put in 18 ounces, then put an ounce of time at a time in until it's mid stick in the hashmarks. I use an oil syringe to do that, measures ounces....
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Jge64 wrote:You haven't done any damage with a slight overfill. And besides that, there's no way that Honda world void your warranty if you have receipts to show you changed the oil. If a dealer tells you that, find another dealer.
Ok thanks for clearing that one up for me :D
As for the warranty thing, The dealer actually told me when I bought the bike that the warranty COULD be void because I might not notice a fault that they would during the first service.
I really don't want to pay £110 just to change 1ltr of oil so now i know i've probably not caused any damage i'll do like you said and keep reciepts.

Thanks again.
Dave.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Oh one more quick question as well if you don't mind...

When I'm riding along at a steady speed ( just maintaining speed) I can hear what sounds like noisy valves (loose tappets). The sound is not there at idle or under acceleration.
Is that normal with the pcx ? I'd assume it's just because they were set on the loose side from the factory and they'd get quieter after a few hundred miles but if anything I think it's got a little noisier?

Thanks again for the help.
Dave
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

To ease your mind , best to set the lash to specs and go from there.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

easyrider wrote:To ease your mind , best to set the lash to specs and go from there.
Thanks for the reply.

Yep if this sound isn't normal i'll have no issues checking the valves, but since it's a lot of work to check them i'd rather not do it just yet if I don't have to.
Owners manual say's they shouldn't need checked until 4k miles so i'm hoping it's a normal sound ?

Thanks again.
Dave.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

I actually think its normal sound when in float rpms the rollers may rattle slightly and give you the sound of tapping, or it could be just vibrations. This scooter does have vibrational sounds as a norm. I don't think its your valves that need adjustment, but its an easy job if you have some time and are a bit handy using tools.
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Welcome! 8)

Oil:
The only 'damage' I've experienced from slightly over-filling the oil is a temporary decrease in MPG (due to oil windage).
Here in the US the 1975 Magnuson-Moss Warranty Act prevents manufacturers and dealers from requiring maintenance and repair services be performed by the dealers. Using oil changes as an example, if your vehicle experiences an engine failure and the manufacturer wants to deny coverage based on not using the dealer for oil changes, they first have to prove it was an oil-related failure. Of course, not using the dealer means possibly longer waits for warranty coverage, so some folks will use the dealer during the warranty period simply for 'peace of mind' during that period. (I'm not one of those people.) In related info, the M-M Act also states that a manufacturer can't require a specific part/fluid unless they also provide that part/fluid free of charge. So, for example, they can recommend using API 5W-30 SN conventional oil, but using any comparable (or better) oil will in no way void your warranty.

Valves:
When I did my own valve check at around 4,000-5,000 mi I intentionally set them a little loose. It's safer than going the other direction. The valves tighten up with a hot engine, so I'll take a very slight performance decrease over possibly burning a too tight valve on a long summer ride in the Rockies.

Enjoy your new Groovy Little Motorbike! :D
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Jge64 wrote:And besides that, there's no way that Honda world void your warranty if you have receipts to show you changed the oil. If a dealer tells you that, find another dealer.
Consumer law and warranty conditions vary from one country to another.
What you say is pefectly reasonable and in a sane world would make sense, but...
In the UK to keep a motorcycle warranty valid the servicing must be done using approved parts and consumables according to the published schedule by a franchised dealer.
Any deviation from this and in the event of a problem chances are the manufacturer will not pay up on the warranty.
Topping up the oil is OK, changing it could be a problem.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
fish
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by fish »

And while you're at the dealer paying for the mandatory dealer-performed 600 mile check, ask them to listen to your valves.
Fish
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I intentionally set them a little loose. It's safer than going the other direction. The valves tighten up with a hot engine ....
Not sure I understand.

Did you think Honda didn't that that into consideration when they developed their specification for the cold gap setting, or that your personal recommended gap is simply more accurate than Honda's? Or is there another reason for not following the manufacturers specification ?
Eiron
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Poseidon Black

Post by Eiron »

Sorry I was unclear. What I was trying to say was that if the valves sound a bit loose, that's okay. Having the valves a bit too loose is far better for the life of the engine than having them a bit too tight.
And yes, I do have complete confidence in the manufacturer's specs. But, from my experience on many machines, I don't have 100% confidence in the attention to detail of the assemblers. ;) I'm sure you're familiar with the range of slip adjustment "feel" when setting valves. When I adjusted my own valves I made sure they were to spec, but I also made sure they were adjusted to 'the loose end' of the spec. For me that means the feeler gauge slips easily between the valve and adjusting screw (as opposed to dragging), but not so loose that the next size gauge fits.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Understood, thanks - yep I also wonder about the 'human factor' and if things were done right at the factory.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I have heard the valve tapping sound at mid rpm on long rides. I checked the valves after the ride, but they were fine. I have also heard it on other occasions, so it's normal. As for the oil, just empty it out until the level is right. I bought my scoot with a broken timing chain tensioner and 1/4 of a quart too much oil in the engine. Too much oil might of cause the tensioner to break or it could of been a bad part, I don't know. Just don't overfill.
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by easyrider »

A small amount of overfill is not a problem , but an excessive amount of too much oil will cause the piston skirt or crankshaft to churn up the oil to form a foam. This aerated mix will not be able to be pumped and lubricate as well as solid oil. One characteristic about a good brand of oil is its anti foaming qualities.
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

Thanks for all the replies guys... put my mind at ease...
I ended doing the first oil change at 450 miles and all looked good. At 500 miles i have started giving it WOT at odd times here and there and i plan to change the oil once more at 600 miles just to be sure.

Flat out is 62mph :lol: not the quickest machine but definitely quick enough for the dual carriageway...

Overall im really happy with the bike and hope to get many trouble free miles.

Thanks again.
Dave.
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Jge64 wrote:You haven't done any damage with a slight overfill. And besides that, there's no way that Honda world void your warranty if you have receipts to show you changed the oil. If a dealer tells you that, find another dealer.
That may be the case in the USA but it isn't in the UK. You are legally obliged to have the servicing done by a VAT registered dealer if you want the warranty to stay valid. It doesn't have to be a Honda main dealer nor the dealer you bought from, but it MUST be a VAT registered dealer, you must have a receipt and preferably also a stamp in the book.

This dealer = stealer thing really pisses me off. The riders I knew who had this attitude when I was living at my old place are now asking why there isn't a local dealer for miles.

Folks need to make a living to still be around when you need them. Cake and eat it springs to mind. ;)
Davepcx

Post by Davepcx »

lillypinkjenny wrote:
This dealer = stealer thing really pisses me off. The riders I knew who had this attitude when I was living at my old place are now asking why there isn't a local dealer for miles.

Folks need to make a living to still be around when you need them. Cake and eat it springs to mind. ;)
Having to pay the main dealer £110 to change 1ltr of oil is daylight robbery in ny book. (Hence dealer=stealer)
Surely they dont need to charge that much to make a living?
Why £110 ? They charge £75/hour at the dealer i bought my bike from yet they want 110 to do a 15min job?
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

lillypinkjenny wrote:It doesn't have to be a Honda main dealer
That applies to cars but not motorcycles.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
lillypinkjenny
Regular User
Regular User

Post by lillypinkjenny »

Davepcx wrote:
lillypinkjenny wrote:

Having to pay the main dealer £110 to change 1ltr of oil is daylight robbery in ny book. (Hence dealer=stealer)
Surely they dont need to charge that much to make a living?
Why £110 ? They charge £75/hour at the dealer i bought my bike from yet they want 110 to do a 15min job?
You are paying the dealer to keep your warranty intact.

That's what they charge and whether you accept it or not is up to you.

Making a living, taking a risk, providing a service, filling up your oil to the correct level. It all costs.

;)