battery replacement interval

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

battery replacement interval

Post by cessna151 »

Maybe i missed it but i didn't see this in the manual. How long till the stock battery should be replaced? And has anybody tried any of the amazon battery replacements?
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Re: battery replacement interval

Post by TheMaverick »

cessna151 wrote:Maybe i missed it but i didn't see this in the manual. How long till the stock battery should be replaced? And has anybody tried any of the amazon battery replacements?
I don't think that there's a specified interval - just replace it when it starts showing signs of being tired.

No experience with any replacements, although when the time comes I'm going to be looking as I just can't get over the cost of the "correct" one (NZD $300+) whereas I buy 12V 7AH gell cell lead acid batteries for use in UPSes for $15.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Ya know it's funny you mention those. I was thinking of something similar. In the RC hobby world you can by similar batteries for about the same price you mentioned($15-20). They don't give CCA ratings though so it makes me wonder if they are up to the job.

Also this bike has absolutely no way of starting without the battery. This makes me nervous about waiting until there is a sign, so that's why i'm wondering how long people wait, and who has waited too long?
Jge64
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 18 300 xmax
Color: White

Post by Jge64 »

cessna151 wrote:Ya know it's funny you mention those. I was thinking of something similar. In the RC hobby world you can by similar batteries for about the same price you mentioned($15-20). They don't give CCA ratings though so it makes me wonder if they are up to the job.

Also this bike has absolutely no way of starting without the battery. This makes me nervous about waiting until there is a sign, so that's why i'm wondering how long people wait, and who has waited too long?
I carry a jump pack and replace every two years. The batteries are cheap enough that I don’t care about the money, and the retired battery goes on my bench as a portable 12 V power source.

Somewhere here is a genuine OEM Honda kickstart addition that they sell for this bike , that apparently is sold with it in some other country.
Glen
‘15 PCX build thread here:
https://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=4640
Current: ‘18 XMAX 300 & ‘22 NAVI
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I carry a jump pack and replace every two years.
Which one did you decide to use - is there a particular amperage that should not be exceeded ? Thanks.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Jge64 wrote:Somewhere here is a genuine OEM Honda kickstart addition that they sell for this bike , that apparently is sold with it in some other country.
It is actually not an addition originally, but the kickstart from an Asia specific low cost bike built around the PCX global engine. Some clever traders found out that they sell the oem parts as a kit to be retrofitted to fat westerners. :-)
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

This one - on Amazon is only $26 with free shipping. The Yuasa (factory) battery is 6.3Ah and 130 CCA - and is $136!.

This one is 6.3Ah and 120CCA:

https://www.amazon.com/KMG-Maintenace-P ... x150&psc=1
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Glen, here's that kickstart you mentioned: http://www.hondapcx.org/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=7192
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

Oyabun, have you replaced your battery yet? If so when and why? Precautionary or did it die?

Limey, thanks for that link! I've been browsing amazon but didn't see that one.
Oyabun
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: `12,`15,`19
Color: black&black

Post by Oyabun »

Nope. Never changed a battery. And I will not do until it stops working, or shows serious aging.
Actually my PCX is in active use through the year. I have already installed my tucano, so with that and proper gear I ride all winter. I usually only take the cage when it is raining, snowing or below -15C.
I found that my battery holds up quite nice so far on both bikes (I have a 2013 eSp and a late 2015 LED model too). The stock Yuasa seems to be very robust. I bought the LED PCX as a wreck which was not running for about 7 months, and found the battery completely depleted to around 8.5 volts. Connected it to my regenerating charger and it works perfectly, holds charge, and starts the bike on the first push of the button ever since.
One thing to note though, the '15 model uses a larger 7Ah battery, while the 13 came with 6Ah.
Limey
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 16 Forza/16 PCX
Color: Red/Maroon

Post by Limey »

Oyabun wrote: One thing to note though, the '15 model uses a larger 7Ah battery, while the 13 came with 6Ah.
Best price I can find for the later models is $58.87 on Partzilla:

https://www.partzilla.com/product/honda/31500-KZZ-J11

Of course,not much use if you are in NZ! :)
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Not sure why the uprated Ah for the LED versions (from memory, it's battery is supposed to be highed rated than older ones), as LED's should use less energy than bulbs, but I would imagine it's purely to help the idle-stop function last longer if used, even though the '14 models onwards have ECU monitoring and protection compared to older versions.
Anyone know otherwise :)
My bike was the 1st LED versions, now nearly 3.5 yr's ownership so add some months on since build/shipping. It's stored outside all year round on the drive thus many months near or below freezing. It's always started 1st time and so far never let me down, but I do use the bike all year round for commuting.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

I've yet to see conclusive proof that kickstart kit can actually start a PCX with a dud battery.
Can the kickstarter power the fuel pump and the fuel injection...?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:Ya know it's funny you mention those. I was thinking of something similar. In the RC hobby world you can by similar batteries for about the same price you mentioned($15-20). They don't give CCA ratings though so it makes me wonder if they are up to the job.

Mine can start with a flat battery. :lol:
slowpoke
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2014 Forza 300
Color: Red

Post by slowpoke »

When I bought the used scooter at the dealership, it wouldn't start and they had to jump start it. It hasn't given me any problems since. What are the signs of a dying battery besides not being able to start right away? Lights dimming? Noob here.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

slowpoke wrote:When I bought the used scooter at the dealership, it wouldn't start and they had to jump start it. It hasn't given me any problems since. What are the signs of a dying battery besides not being able to start right away? Lights dimming? Noob here.
Not having any problems since is the main sign of not having a dying battery.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

My medium size Align T-Rex 550 Pro DFC (about a 1.5m disk) uses 5000mAH LiPo batteries - I suspect they'd start a PCX without even breaking a sweat (I've heard of people starting cars with similar)
Most batteries will "talk" to you before dying; if the battery is getting old and it struggles to turn the motor over on occasions then that's the time I'd take that as a warning and investigate further. Assuming you live in an area where you can get a replacement quickly then personally I wouldn't stress about it.

I've managed to flatten the battery about 3 times - just through me being a bozo and leaving the ignition turned on for many hours. In the past it's still started even after being accidentally left on for 15 to 20 min - so quite a bit of capacity there.

If you've got something like an iCharger 206B for your RC batteries then fairly trivial job to run the battery down and see how many mAH it accepts from the charger on a constant current charge.

In my case I've always accidentally flattened it close to the workshop or at home - and I have Honda EU20i generators at both locations anyway - so it makes it about a 2 minute exercise to sort out (thankfully!).
djbass
Regular User
Regular User
Year: PCX150, 2015
Color: Pearl White

Post by djbass »

Yes, in the absence of the kickstarter issue is a good battery for PCX is very important. Sometimes I think about it, but try to just observe before each engine start-up intensity start. If there is a reduction of the speed of engine starting, it is necessary to charge the battery or replace it before the battery fails.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

gn2, have you replaced your battery? If so when and why?
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

After nearly 6 years and 16,000 miles the battery has been replaced. Since the yuasa lasted so long i decided to replace it with another one. The old one still seemed to start the engine just fine, however; a couple weeks ago i pulled over for a minute and shut the engine off using the sidestand so the key and lights were still on. Then when i tried to start it nothing happened. I shut the key off for a minute and then it started fine.

Can anyone confirm these numbers stamped on the battery is the date code? My guess is the format is DDMMYY46. So the new battery on the left was made August 2017 and the old one January 2012.
1.png
1.png (479.34 KiB) Viewed 3634 times