Speedometer Console Backlights problem!

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

Perce2
Year: 2012
Color: Red

Speedometer Console Backlights problem!

Post by Perce2 »

PCX 150 2012 - Having some problems with the backlighting of the speedo console and fuel gauge.
Looks like the main LED/Bulb for the speedo part needs replacing as I don't have any light, the needle still glows red though.
The fuel gauge is now also on it's way out, flickering on/off all the time.
Anyone here been successful in repairing/replacing these bulbs ?

Maybe someone has a photo of the speedo assembly showing the main circuit board with the bulbs in situ?
It would be nice to identify these bulbs before I dismantle so I could get them in stock ready.
Appreciate any advice, thanks in advance.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Re: Speedometer Console Backlights problem!

Post by Mel46 »

Did you check the connection in the back of the instrument panel? It sounds like something is loose. If not, then you may need a new instrument panel.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Perce2 wrote:The fuel gauge is now also on it's way out, flickering on/off all the time.
In my experience, flickering lights are far more likely to be an indication of a connection problem than a bulb fault.

I'd suggest starting by popping off the grill, windscreen, and cover (really easy when you know how - let me know if you need a hand with it) then inspecting the large connector to the back of the panel. Just be sure to have a replacement zip tie on hand to replace the one you'll need to cut to get the cover away from the connector.

I'd be inclined to unplug / replug the connector a few times and wiggle a few wires to see if there's any change to what you're seeing.

Hope this helps.
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

+1 on the connection. Bulbs crap out and that is that. Flickering strongly suggests intermittent connection.
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
Perce2

Post by Perce2 »

Tried all of the above without any success...

Could just do with some idea of the kind of LED's used on the board so I can them in stock prior to removing the whole speedo module for further investigation.
As I use the bike daily, don't want to get the bike stripped then have to put it all back together whilst waiting for parts to arrive, then have to repeat the process to fit them (if needed). They only cost a few pennies, so even if I don't need them it doesn't matter.

Thanks for the suggestions though.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

I did a bit of Googling for you - and looked up the manual - nothing of significance found I'm afraid.

From the manual we can see that they're LEDs, but no further breakdown.
Attachments
1.JPG
1.JPG (57.47 KiB) Viewed 1821 times
Perce2

Post by Perce2 »

Thanks Maverick for the schematic/wiring colour code pin-out.
Like you say, at least we know they actually use LED's now in the speedo console as opposed to normal dash bulbs. Just don't know what type, size, manufacturer details etc.
Main "backlight" showing 2 led's connected in series, that's why there is total darkness. Instead of just losing some light, when either single led has fused, you lose the lot!

My theory so far, is that I have an LED fused and a separate bad connection, fuel gauge issue. Probably on the board or with the fuel gauge itself. Notice the fuel gauge is not actually represented on that schematic, unless it's the LCD (at the top). Could be a totally separate unit in the console.

Cheers!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Perce2 wrote:Thanks Maverick for the schematic/wiring colour code pin-out.
Like you say, at least we know they actually use LED's now in the speedo console as opposed to normal dash bulbs. Just don't know what type, size, manufacturer details etc.
Main "backlight" showing 2 led's connected in series, that's why there is total darkness. Instead of just losing some light, when either single led has fused, you lose the lot!

My theory so far, is that I have an LED fused and a separate bad connection, fuel gauge issue. Probably on the board or with the fuel gauge itself. Notice the fuel gauge is not actually represented on that schematic, unless it's the LCD (at the top). Could be a totally separate unit in the console.

Cheers!
Good luck - in terms of parts, the complete speedo is probably the next highest assembly.

Let us know how you get on.
Perce2

Post by Perce2 »

I'm located in Thailand, the cost here quite expensive for a complete unit.
As an electrical engineer, a repair is more cost effective if I can obtain the parts required.
I'll keep you updated with any progress.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Perce2 wrote:I'm located in Thailand, the cost here quite expensive for a complete unit.
As an electrical engineer, a repair is more cost effective if I can obtain the parts required.
I'll keep you updated with any progress.
Hope it goes well for you. I spent 7 years as an Avionics Tech in the RNZAF - about 4 of them doing component level circuit board repair. My concern with things like this is that sometimes they make them darn difficult to get to - hope that's not the case for you. By all accounts getting it out isn't tooooooooo bad - (I use an online manual from Cyclepedia).
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

It's more likely a connection issue as stated, perhaps poor soldering on the inner circuit board, but mostly likely if not a multi way connector issue, some bad wiring from ECU/Battery to console - could be a poor earth connection or such. The circuit diagrams can be found searching this forum or google, so best grab them all.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:It's more likely a connection issue as stated, perhaps poor soldering on the inner circuit board, but mostly likely if not a multi way connector issue, some bad wiring from ECU/Battery to console - could be a poor earth connection or such. The circuit diagrams can be found searching this forum or google, so best grab them all.
Best I can tell, the power for the lights is drawn off the common power for the rest of the panel - so something external like the connector couldn't cause only a couple of the lights to flicker - so I'd think it's more likely to be inner circuit board.
Perce2

Post by Perce2 »

I see another couple of site members have the same issue with the same year model, so I don't appear to be unique with this one.
I agree with Maverick, power is obviously reaching the circuit board as the other LED's are working fine, ruling out connector theory. I have also had the top off and cleaned and checked all plug terminations, they are fine. The problem appears to be in the speedo assembly itself where we are lacking information so far.

Just found out my mate has a friend who owns a local motorbike shop, he's currently on his way to see if we can obtain a second hand unit (working or not) for further inspection and clues....watch this space!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Post by iceman »

Partzilla only seem to have the 2013 speedometer assembly, least I could not see anything when searching for Honda > Scooter > 2012. Here's a link - the whole assembly, if matching yours, is $146 + shipping.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... peedometer
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

iceman wrote:Partzilla only seem to have the 2013 speedometer assembly, least I could not see anything when searching for Honda > Scooter > 2012. Here's a link - the whole assembly, if matching yours, is $146 + shipping.
https://www.partzilla.com/catalog/honda ... peedometer
Out of curiosity, I'm wondering if changing the console would reset the odometer? I'm presuming it's recorded in the console and not transmitted from the ECU? (might need to do that if my bike gets to 100,000km (well on the way now at 34,000).