Finally changed spark plug at 34,000km

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Finally changed spark plug at 34,000km

Post by TheMaverick »

Book says to change every 8,000km, but that just didn't make any sense to me when car plugs are good for 100,000km+. Finally changed it after 34,000km - was still going just fine but I didn't want to push my luck forever. Gap had opened up from the recommended 0.8 to 0.9mm recommended range to exactly 1mm - and the center electrode was a little eroded - but other than that it was perfectly fine.

Will be interesting to see if there's any change to power levels or economy.
Attachments
IMG_3867a.jpg
IMG_3867a.jpg (195.18 KiB) Viewed 1212 times
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Re: Finally changed spark plug at 34,000km

Post by gn2 »

Probably won't see any difference.
I would give the outer electrode a tweak and stick it back in.
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

gn2 wrote:Probably won't see any difference.
I would give the outer electrode a tweak and stick it back in.
I thought about it, but they don't cost a lot and I'm trying to "zero time" a number of components that I can now forget about until 67,000km.
Slowinitdown
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

Post by Slowinitdown »

Has faired pretty good for 34K am glad Honda put a flap to gain access makes for an easy job
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Very nice bougie at 34K. I'm just curious about the valves, though. How many adjustments? - by
Honda's schedule, a whole lot of them...

As I checked them on my Forza at 14,000km, the exhausts were .001" tight, so I went with the
next thinner shims. Now at 26,000 km...and they are .001" LOOOSE ! I should have left them
alone, hey (NOT going to worry about the valves any more - left them exhausts at .010", intakes
haven't moved at all, contrary to what was expected).
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Slowinitdown wrote:Has faired pretty good for 34K am glad Honda put a flap to gain access makes for an easy job
Hell yes!
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

aguim wrote:Very nice bougie at 34K. I'm just curious about the valves, though. How many adjustments? - by

As I checked them on my Forza at 14,000km, the exhausts were .001" tight, so I went with the
next thinner shims. Now at 26,000 km...and they are .001" LOOOSE ! I should have left them
alone, hey (NOT going to worry about the valves any more - left them exhausts at .010", intakes
Valves haven't been checked for 33,000km. Honda say to do it every 4,000km - and at around $100 worth of dealer time to do it each time, I'd already have spent around $800 on that alone. It just didn't make any sense to me so a friend of mine phoned a non-affiliated dealer friend of his and we talked about it - what he said was "it's not a particularly high-revving engine - the valve clearances are unlikely to change - so don't worry about the checks unless they appear to be changing (eg bike won't idle or gets hard to start).

I couple of weeks ago I had the dealer replace both tyres, brake and cooling fluids, adjust the head bearing (again) and a couple of other things ... and asked him to check the valves while he was at it since it hadn't been done for a while and I figured he'd already have most of the panels off for the other stuff anyway. He didn't do it (said he wasn't in that part of the bike). He was "horrified" at the distance it had done since the last check, but freely admitted that on his test ride that they sounded just fine - so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

In my opinion Honda specifies that a lot of unnecessary work be done on the bike; on one hand if people get it done that way they'll probably never have any issues but (again, in my opinion) if people look at these things intelligently - and are aware of what their bikes are "saying" to them - a lot of these things can be stretched out considerably - at a massive saving.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

In my opinion Honda specifies that a lot of unnecessary work be done on the bike; on one hand if people get it done that way they'll probably never have any issues but (again, in my opinion) if people look at these things intelligently -
How is a person like me supposed to do that ??
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

springer1 wrote:
In my opinion Honda specifies that a lot of unnecessary work be done on the bike; on one hand if people get it done that way they'll probably never have any issues but (again, in my opinion) if people look at these things intelligently -
How is a person like me supposed to do that ??
LOL - reminds me of an old quote: "If a man speaks - but no woman hears him - is he still wrong?".
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
aguim wrote:Very nice bougie at 34K. I'm just curious about the valves, though. How many adjustments? - by

Valves haven't been checked for 33,000km. Honda say to do it every 4,000km - and at around $100 worth of dealer time to do it each time, I'd already have spent around $800 on that alone. It just didn't make any sense to me so a friend of mine phoned a non-affiliated dealer friend of his and we talked about it - what he said was "it's not a particularly high-revving engine - the valve clearances are unlikely to change - so don't worry about the checks unless they appear to be changing (eg bike won't idle or gets hard to start).

I couple of weeks ago I had the dealer replace both tyres, brake and cooling fluids, adjust the head bearing (again) and a couple of other things ... and asked him to check the valves while he was at it since it hadn't been done for a while and I figured he'd already have most of the panels off for the other stuff anyway. He didn't do it (said he wasn't in that part of the bike). He was "horrified" at the distance it had done since the last check, but freely admitted that on his test ride that they sounded just fine - so I'm not losing any sleep over it.

In my opinion Honda specifies that a lot of unnecessary work be done on the bike; on one hand if people get it done that way they'll probably never have any issues but (again, in my opinion) if people look at these things intelligently - and are aware of what their bikes are "saying" to them - a lot of these things can be stretched out considerably - at a massive saving.

You should tell this story more often :D :D :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

You should tell this story more often :D :D :lol:
I'll tell it as many times as it's relevant to a topic under discussion. Unlike you, I'm here to help people.

For the 6th time, if you don't like reading what I post then put me on ignore - but somehow I suspect you'd rather just continue to troll.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

^ Someone asked and you answered, that's just being nice in my b00k. I'm sure You You is just joking..

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

^ Someone asked and you answered, that's just being nice in my b00k. I'm sure You You is just joking..
Yep ..... I've only been a member here for 4 months or so but ...... Yep, seems right on both counts.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:^ Someone asked and you answered, that's just being nice in my b00k. I'm sure You You is just joking..

Gil
Thanks Gil.

I'm 100% sure "YouYou" isn't "joking" - he and I don't get along and so he now trolls me at every opportunity despite being politely asked many times to just leave me alone. Putting a few "LOLs" at the end of yet another attack is never a license to bully another member with impunity.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

I see, I guess You You wouldn't be welcomed at a PCX forum live meet. LOL ;)
https://youtu.be/j54DIlm5Dww

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

Gil wrote:I see, I guess You You wouldn't be welcomed at a PCX forum live meet. LOL ;)

Gil
No comment :D
aguim
Regular User
Regular User
Year: Forza 300
Color: red/2014

Post by aguim »

Yoyo thinks he knows better, apparently.I find him one nasty troll. Welcome to the Internet Crap (I
think I should be doing something else, err...)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

TheMaverick wrote:
Gil wrote:I see, I guess You You wouldn't be welcomed at a PCX forum live meet. LOL ;)

Gil

Hurray, a first :lol:
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Gil

Easily solved at your end by adding me to your ignore list.
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

you you wrote:
TheMaverick wrote:

Gil

I might also add that that's a bit "rich" considering that you post on average over 5 times as often as I do.
1.JPG
1.JPG (28.62 KiB) Viewed 1049 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (15 KiB) Viewed 1049 times