Bike lift - nice not too large lift for PCX

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)
Color: White

Bike lift - nice not too large lift for PCX

Post by iceman »

Hi, some people have purchased large lifts from Harbour Freight (US) but of the smaller kind, any UK peeps able to suggest a smaller more lift capable of happily lifting the PCX up from underneath that can handle the weight, be stable on a driveway (no risk of PCX toppling over!) and which allows lots of maintenance work to be undertaken with the bike off the ground (say by a foot or so).

Can you use most of the under floor area to lift the bike, allowing for front/back to balance out or is there a certain area that is more suitable to apply the lift raising surface?
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: Bike lift - nice not too large lift for PCX

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:Hi, some people have purchased large lifts from Harbour Freight (US) but of the smaller kind, any UK peeps able to suggest a smaller more lift capable of happily lifting the PCX up from underneath that can handle the weight, be stable on a driveway (no risk of PCX toppling over!) and which allows lots of maintenance work to be undertaken with the bike off the ground (say by a foot or so).

Can you use most of the under floor area to lift the bike, allowing for front/back to balance out or is there a certain area that is more suitable to apply the lift raising surface?

You could make one if you have a bit of suitable scrap wood around and space to store
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

you you wrote:
iceman wrote:Hi, some people have purchased large lifts from Harbour Freight (US) but of the smaller kind, any UK peeps able to suggest a smaller more lift capable of happily lifting the PCX up from underneath that can handle the weight, be stable on a driveway (no risk of PCX toppling over!) and which allows lots of maintenance work to be undertaken with the bike off the ground (say by a foot or so).
You could make one if you have a bit of suitable scrap wood around and space to store
:) - simplest/cheapest seems to be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10ZQbfK6bI
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Here's mine and they work GREAT!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Stand ... 0677.m4598

But to be honest you won't need it until the 5000 mile service. The 5k service requires getting the front wheel up for the head bearing check. A hefty price to pay for a bearing check plus storage for the unit year round. You probably won't have any other use for this equipment. Maybe youyou's block of wood makes better sense.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

iceman wrote:
you you wrote:
:) - simplest/cheapest seems to be:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U10ZQbfK6bI
Is that Homie?

Good idea but not suitable for our scooters. Plastics and uneven underbelly.
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Out of some scrap wood .. easy . Stand up along wall .
Attachments
Pcx platform
Pcx platform
image.jpeg (132.06 KiB) Viewed 1726 times
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

homie wrote:Here's mine and they work GREAT!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Craftsman-Stand ... 0677.m4598
But to be honest you won't need it until the 5000 mile service. The 5k service requires getting the front wheel up for the head bearing check. A hefty price to pay for a bearing check plus storage for the unit year round. You probably won't have any other use for this equipment. Maybe youyou's block of wood makes better sense.
It's been raining almost daily for months - lucky if we get 2 days with no rain and I only have a front drive which is about the 3rd the size of your garage Homie :)
So, it is ok to lift the bike from the central underside area - no risk of something braking from underneath? (is the tubular structure running along the out lower side walls?)
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Out of some scrap wood .. easy . Stand up along wall .

Looks just the job.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator
Year: 2015 PCX 150esp
Color: Pearl *White*

Post by WhiteNoise »

Hi iceman, do you have a HarborFreight store around? I understand that you lack garage space to work on your scoot. I then remembered reading and seeing that some Modern Vespa members used this with success: https://t.harborfreight.com/high-positi ... 99887.html

I've read all the reviews on that unit and viewed customer pics. You can see a scooter on this lift on review pg 6.

Online price today: $179.99
A few specs on item #99887
This unit lifts up to 30"
Unit Height: 37 3/4"
Unit Length: 44"
Unit Width: 24 3/8"
Tie Downs are included.

If purchasing any hydraulic lift from Harbor Freight, I would advise buying a bottle of hydraulic fluid in advance In Case the pump is Dry.
My full size HF lift was delivered with a bone dry pump. Many are. No biggie, the fluid is cheap. Check it, fill if necessary by following lifts directions. Do not operate Lift without fluid.

Harbor Freight runs a lot of sales, correction...always has sales. Try to get on their mailing list to take advantage of re-occurring sales. I bought my HF full size table lift on sale for $279.99 (was 429.99), I had my HF paper in hand.

I see there's a tab at the top of HF's website page: "Get Coupons Now" -
They also have a Columbus Day sale on items and a 20% off coupon (always read that small print)

An Vespa example. Thanks MVF - Cheers ;)
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (82.58 KiB) Viewed 1718 times
Location, Year & Color - Please enter Yours today!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
easyrider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: blk

Post by easyrider »

Sometimes working low or on the ground has advantages. You can sit and you don't have to lift anything very high and if you drop something it doesn't go far or break, and if you get tired you can just roll over and take a nap if you want to.. :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Kudos to this old timer ;) Very Cool!
How? Log in. Click the User Control Panel button (top right of any page). Upon destination, click Profile in left column. Look >See the questions? Please Complete. We Thank You
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

EasyR you just cracked me up :lol: :lol: too funny, too true, Happy Sunday to You!
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by iceman »

WhiteNoise - Harbour Freight are not in the UK but there are similar outlets and products. The ones Homie and EasyRider linked to or showed seem great.

I was considering ones like Homie linked to but the picture shown by Easyrider seems good too (the ramp itself would come in useful to get the bike through the front door (once mirrors removed) to store in the hallway when I am away on Hols or such) and the wooden structure is easy to store and gets the bike off the ground. Thinking of adding plastic sheeting and car mats so I can wash down some of the crap ridden under parts whilst protecting the lift/structure :)
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

easyrider wrote:Out of some scrap wood .. easy . Stand up along wall .
Love it.

I'm currently using a low-tech solution ...
Attachments
1.jpg
1.jpg (22.73 KiB) Viewed 1706 times
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

easyrider wrote:Sometimes working low or on the ground has advantages. You can sit and you don't have to lift anything very high and if you drop something it doesn't go far or break, and if you get tired you can just roll over and take a nap if you want to.. :lol:

I struggle. If I lie on the ground my dog jumps on me and licks me. Or just lies on me.
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Mav, hysterical! Time to Get-up! Save your "low tech" idea for the beach! :lol:

2yous, a bath?, then a nap :lol: I struggle too. That's why I use my table lift with 2 rolling tool stools, one on each side of the lift. I got tired of moving the one stool around the lift. Easy now...I walk around it and sit on the other. Laaazzy :oops: Works!!

Another lift idea/solution but costly from Aerostitch (they do run sales) If you're skilled you can improvise or just make one like this yourself. Add side trays, mat, ramp,....whatever you can imagine, you can make happen ;) Who said Cup-Holder? :lol:

http://www.aerostich.com/tools/maintena ... crate.html

EasyR what say you to that? ^^
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Okay ice, make it happen do what works for You, then show us (please). We're still learning too :D
I started a thread awhile back (years?) on workbenches or lifts? Something of that nature. Let me take a look. I'll be back
TheMaverick
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by TheMaverick »

WhiteNoise wrote:Mav, hysterical! Time to Get-up! Save your "low tech" idea for the beach! :lol:
I've done some of my best work lying down on the job :)
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »

Whoaaaa......easy fella :lol:
WhiteNoise
Official Moderator
Official Moderator

Post by WhiteNoise »