Something's not right

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Something's not right

Post by cessna151 »

I bought my 150 new last year. When i got it everything was great. MPG was in the 90's and i was hitting the rev limiter at 72 MPH (speedo is dead on at all speeds according to GPS). Then the 600 mile mark came and i decided to have the dealer change the oil. I noticed immediately afterwards that i was hitting the rev limiter at 67 MPH and as time went on i noticed MPG had slipped to the low 80s. At some point i realized the dealer used the wrong oil (GN4 10w40). At the 5,000 mile mark i changed the oil to the correct oil (HP4M 10w30) hoping this would solve the problem. At the 10,000 mile mark nothing had improved so i changed the oil again and replaced the drive belt, spark plug, and air filter. I have only filled up 3 times since the service but so far MPG after the service is in the upper 70s and i'm hitting the rev limiter at 69 MPH.

This bike should be getting MPGs in the 90s and i should be hitting the rev limiter at 72 MPH with the new belt. What could the dealer possibly have done to my bike? Both wheels turn freely, brakes not dragging. New oil, plug, belt, and air filter. What else can i do to diagnose the problem?
~Cheap_Ride~
Regular User
Regular User

Re: Something's not right

Post by ~Cheap_Ride~ »

I think you have done what I would have checked for anyway. If its of any help I feel like I am experiencing the same things. Last week on the hwy I was only able to reach 66 on a flat stretch of road. I dont keep track of fuel mileage but the numbers of miles on my trip odometer seem to be down when I start flashing from what I remember them to be brand new.

It has gotten cold here in SD with lows in the mornings close to freezing and highs in the 40's. That could be part of the problem.
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

Rear tyre wear, type, size, actual circumference compared to a new OEM IRC?
Any wear on the pulleys?
Condition of rollers and ramps?
Tried disconnecting the battery to reset the electronic brain?
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
dasshreddar
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: forzaruckuspcx
Color: black

Post by dasshreddar »

change your drive oil... did the dealer change that too?(heavier weight maybe?)

have you modded the cvt? 72 seems too fast if stock, is your current speed gps verified 69mph?
jkhawaii
Regular User
Regular User

Post by jkhawaii »

valve adjustment gone wrong?
DAB
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: Red

Post by DAB »

Is there a software update on 600 miles? Over the years I have known people to have lower mpg after dealer updates.(Motorcycles, mainly Triumphs)
Other rides
Yamaha MT-01, Yamaha BT1100, Yamaha WR250R, Ducati 900 GTS, Honda VFR 750FV, Honda Forza 350
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:I bought my 150 new last year. When i got it everything was great. MPG was in the 90's and i was hitting the rev limiter at 72 MPH (speedo is dead on at all speeds according to GPS). Then the 600 mile mark came and i decided to have the dealer change the oil. I noticed immediately afterwards that i was hitting the rev limiter at 67 MPH and as time went on i noticed MPG had slipped to the low 80s. At some point i realized the dealer used the wrong oil (GN4 10w40). At the 5,000 mile mark i changed the oil to the correct oil (HP4M 10w30) hoping this would solve the problem. At the 10,000 mile mark nothing had improved so i changed the oil again and replaced the drive belt, spark plug, and air filter. I have only filled up 3 times since the service but so far MPG after the service is in the upper 70s and i'm hitting the rev limiter at 69 MPH.

This bike should be getting MPGs in the 90s and i should be hitting the rev limiter at 72 MPH with the new belt. What could the dealer possibly have done to my bike? Both wheels turn freely, brakes not dragging. New oil, plug, belt, and air filter. What else can i do to diagnose the problem?

Not sure how changing the oil would affect a rev limiter
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013 PCX 150

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Just the thicker viscosity but 10-30 to 10-40 shouldn't make that massive of a difference. Check and look at your rollers in your variator. Did they get flat spots? If not there complain to the dealer. Let them look at it.
maddiedog
Benevolent Overlord
Benevolent Overlord
Year: 2011
Color: White

Post by maddiedog »

10w40 is fine, it won't make much a difference.

I'd try resetting your ECU...
Currently ride: 2011 Honda PCX 125 - Upgraded windshield and seat, keeping this one mostly stock
Previously rides: 2005 V-Strom DL650, 1974 Vespa Ciao, 2011 Honda PCX 170 (tons of mods - takegawa 170cc big bore kit, gears, etc), 1996 Honda Nighthawk 250, 1987 Honda Spree, 2000 KTM 125SX, 2003 Honda Silverwing, 2007 Genuine Buddy 125, 1998 Honda PC800, 2008 Buddy 125 (white), 2008 Buddy 125 (red), 2001 Honda Reflex, 1987 Honda Elite, 1988 Honda Spree, 2007 Yamaha Vino, 2007 Honda Metro, 2x 125cc pure-chinesium dirt bikes
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

you you wrote:Not sure how changing the oil would affect a rev limiter
Exactly. I think the dealer did something to my bike intentionally/unintentionally or something happened at about the same time. The receipt only shows an oil change. Who knows. I just want it fixed.

The bike is and has always been bone stock, no mods. I regularly check the speedo with GPS including the day i bought it. It has always been less than 1 mph off. I hit 72mph many times before the trouble. I remember reading somewhere that 71-72 mph is normal for a new 150.

I forgot to mention i checked the valves at 2,500 miles and they were in spec. I replaced the back tire at 5,000 miles and it's due again as is the front.

Thanks for suggesting the drive oil and disconnecting the battery. I will do both and will be changing both tires soon. I forgot to look at the rollers when i changed the belt so i'll do that if drive oil and ecu don't solve the problem. The pulleys looked fine though.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:
you you wrote:Not sure how changing the oil would affect a rev limiter
Exactly. I think the dealer did something to my bike intentionally/unintentionally or something happened at about the same time. The receipt only shows an oil change. Who knows. I just want it fixed.

The bike is and has always been bone stock, no mods. I regularly check the speedo with GPS including the day i bought it. It has always been less than 1 mph off. I hit 72mph many times before the trouble. I remember reading somewhere that 71-72 mph is normal for a new 150.

I forgot to mention i checked the valves at 2,500 miles and they were in spec. I replaced the back tire at 5,000 miles and it's due again as is the front.

Thanks for suggesting the drive oil and disconnecting the battery. I will do both and will be changing both tires soon. I forgot to look at the rollers when i changed the belt so i'll do that if drive oil and ecu don't solve the problem. The pulleys looked fine though.
I think I'd be looking at the rollers next too
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013 PCX150

Post by sendler2112 »

My PCX150 never came anywhere close to 72 mph at the redline on a flat, no wind, honest top speed run. Before any belt wear I was topped out at 66 mph. With some belt wear at 1500 miles I was starting to drop to 63 mph. With Dr.Pulley sliders I am back up to 69 mph which is either redline limited or power limited by the wind on different days. Your top speed is normal. Your fuel economy should be better unless you are big and catch a lot of wind. 90 mpgUS at 40 mph should be within reach for any PCX. 100 mpg at 50 mph if you tuck behind a Givi windscreen.
cessna151
Regular User
Regular User

Post by cessna151 »

No, i was never able to hit the rev limiter on flat ground. I'm lucky to see 60 on flat ground. I was talking about going down hill to physically feel the bike bouncing off the rev limiter.
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

cessna151 wrote:No, i was never able to hit the rev limiter on flat ground. I'm lucky to see 60 on flat ground. I was talking about going down hill to physically feel the bike bouncing off the rev limiter.

I have a slightly different experience. I don't feel any review limiter cutting in just the whole thing running out of steam at under 70mph max with the feeling that the belts and the transmission is at its limits
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Check the rollers first and let us know how they look. That is most likely where your issue is.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Edit. thought this was the thread about belt slipping.
Mgalutia88
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Mgalutia88 »

Belt slippage and damaged rollers can cause a similar effect. If the rollers get flat spotted or stuck the same effect can happen. Also you can shim the variator to eliminate slippage however that's not fixing the real issue, it's only a bandaid.
sendler2112
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by sendler2112 »

Mgalutia88 wrote:shim the variator
The shim is only effective for eliminating a shudder on take off when using sliders which have made the low position of the belt too low to stay taught. Once the bike has any speed and the rollers move out from the park position, the shim does nothing further.
rp150
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rp150 »

Is your air filter and intake system clean and not blocked. Same thing for the exhaust side. Is pipe ok, Sounds stupid, but nothing dropped in the muffler? Stupid crap does happens and no one wants to take the blame.
rp150
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by rp150 »

Is it possible that the parking brake is over adjusted? I never use mine. But if a new tech thought he was doing you a favor and over adjusted the brake ?????

Just throwing it out.