Oil and Coolant Check

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2017
Color: White

Oil and Coolant Check

Post by PCX150Rider »

OK. . .so it's been about a thousand miles since I changed my oil for the first time (1600 miles on Odometer) and checked the coolant.

The PCX is running well and the Honda engineering and Vietnamese workmanship continue to impress.

Oil is clean and it looks like it's maintained the same level at the high mark of the dipstick when measured appropriately.

Coolant also appears to be at the upper level on a warm engine. That being said I noticed that the coolant tank cap has what appears to be an attached O-ring to the filler neck so it doesn't fall off when you remove it to inspect or top-off the tank. It's kind of fragile connection so when you check yours be careful not to snap it off. It does the job though. . ..

All that being said, I still think the way it is now, it's very difficult to tell where the coolant level is at. . .especially when the PCX is new or the coolant is still very clean. I found it's easier for me to just take something like a clean flat bladed screwdriver and stick it down the neck of the tank to see how far it goes before the tip gets coated. Even using a flashlight it's hard to see. . . so several attempts inserting and checking the screwdriver (a little further each time) work best. When you do notice it's starting to get coated then you can make note of the distance and just place the screwdriver along the outside of the tank at that measurement to see where the tip reaches between the low and high level coolant indicator lines. As long as you are anywhere near the top line (not the top of the filler neck) then you are good to go. . .. FWIW when I looked down into the coolant tank what I thought was the top of the coolant was indeed the top of the coolant so when I inserted the screwdriver it got coated at that point. Not sure if anyone else has had this problem but I'll coin this technique the "wet test". :geek: :lol: :lol:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider
Year: 2016
Color: Fast White

Re: Oil and Coolant Check

Post by alx123 »

I have no problem using a flashlight to light the inside of the container, I can then pinpoint the level of the coolant using the shadow of my finger from the outside of the reservoir.

I'm not sure i described the process correctly here though.. :D
Everything looks better from the inside of a motorcycle helmet...
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

Checking top coolant reservoir doesn't tell the coolant level in the radiator. It's pointless.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

alx123 wrote:I have no problem using a flashlight to light the inside of the container, I can then pinpoint the level of the coolant using the shadow of my finger from the outside of the reservoir.

Makes sense.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster
Year: 2013
Color: black

Post by Gil »

lolofigo wrote:Checking top coolant reservoir doesn't tell the coolant level in the radiator. It's pointless.

I think you might have a different idea of what the reservoir does. The cooling system is sealed to outside air. The radiator cap is there in order to relieve pressure from the expanding hot water, that's why it has the spring with the rubber seal, and the excess water will be expelled to the reservoir. When the coolant water cools it's contraction will cause a vacuum in the cooling system and pull in water from the reservoir. If the cooling system suffers from a leak, the vacuum action will top it up on every heat cycle.

I check my reservoir every now and then. It was almost empty when I bought my scoot.

Gil
ImageImage
  • 2013 Honda PCX 150, NCY Variator kit, Dr Pulley 13g Roller weights
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

I have no problem using a flashlight to light the inside of the container, I can then pinpoint the level of the coolant using the shadow of my finger from the outside of the reservoir.

Really? I must be doing something wrong but when I try to light the reservoir with the lantern I can't tell where the coolant level is. . .can't see a contrast. If I shine the light from above down inside the filler neck I can see the top of the fluid but it's hard to tell if it's high or low. . .just that it's there. . .and I'm doing this right after shutting off the engine so it's still hot. I even try to move the PCX a bit while it's on the center stand, but carefully, to make the fluid move. It works in other vehicles I've checked but for some reason on my PCX I just can't tell. Hence the "wet test" method using the screwdriver.

The next time I check it I'll try your method. . .. Light from above and finger on the outside of the reservoir from the forward side of the tank? :geek:
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

If I shine the light from above down inside the filler neck I can see the top of the fluid but it's hard to tell if it's high or low
This, then put your finger outside the container to pinpoint the level. Then keep your finger there and check where it is relative to the high and low level indictaors.
PCX150Rider
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by PCX150Rider »

This, then put your finger outside the container to pinpoint the level. Then keep your finger there and check where it is relative to the high and low level indictaors.
OK. . .I'll give that a try next time! I've read where some other posters have actually seen their coolant levels drop over time. I guess some of the reservoir tanks have been known to crack. 8)
lolofigo
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2012
Color: Silver

Post by lolofigo »

Gil wrote:
lolofigo wrote:Checking top coolant reservoir doesn't tell the coolant level in the radiator. It's pointless.

I think you might have a different idea of what the reservoir does. The cooling system is sealed to outside air. The radiator cap is there in order to relieve pressure from the expanding hot water, that's why it has the spring with the rubber seal, and the excess water will be expelled to the reservoir. When the coolant water cools it's contraction will cause a vacuum in the cooling system and pull in water from the reservoir. If the cooling system suffers from a leak, the vacuum action will top it up on every heat cycle.

I check my reservoir every now and then. It was almost empty when I bought my scoot.

Gil
I did have some overheating problems with my 164 yuminashi kit. All coolant escapes to the top reservoir when the red light comes on the dashboard and it doesn't come back to the radiator like you think it does when engine cools off. So radiator is empty and top reservoir full. Without undoing the radiator cap coolant won't come back to the radiator. Checking level of top reservoir is pointless.

springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

I did have some overheating problems with my 164 yuminashi kit. All coolant escapes to the top reservoir when the red light comes on the dashboard and it doesn't come back to the radiator like you think it does when engine cools off. So radiator is empty and top reservoir full. Without undoing the radiator cap coolant won't come back to the radiator. Checking level of top reservoir is pointless.
Usually doesn't that mean the radiator cap is not functioning correctly? .... shouldn't it allow expanded / hot coolant to flow into the expansion /overflow tank AFTER the cap's designed pressure is reached ..... and stop that flow after the pressure is relieved / reduced? (That's why different caps have different pressure ratings.)

It should then allow coolant to be sucked BACK into the radiator from the expansion / overflow tank once the coolant has cooled / contracted and negative pressure created. Basically this repetitive hot / cold cycling between the radiator and the overflow / expansion tank is what ensures the coolant system is always full of coolant and never has air in it .... as long as there is a proper coolant level in the overflow tank. Could a faulty radiator cap have been the source of your engine overheating?
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Lolofigo - sorry if my above post sounded a bit terse - wasn't intended that way ....
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Post by you you »

springer1 wrote:Lolofigo - sorry if my above post sounded a bit terse - wasn't intended that way ....

Just letting off steam :lol:
GeorgeSK
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 13PCX,15Forza
Color: Both Red

Post by GeorgeSK »

So after following this thread I decided to see for myself how troublesome the issue is. Turns out for me it is a non-issue, because there is NOTHING in the reservoir. I went by the shop and got some coolant this evening, and will investigate probably Wednesday. Could be a cracked reservoir like Mel described - could be the juice has been sucked into the engine - I guess it could be lots of things.

Is it too simple to just add coolant to the reservoir without checking the level at actual radiator cap?
On my scoot, getting there is WAY more than half the fun!

Please paste this address into a new tab and add yourself to the map: https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=1NlP7xk7KMdJReQnm-iDhldFBdpQ&ll=4.995760578398276%2C0&z=2
but please, don't delete anybody, no matter how badly they deserve deleting :)
alx123
Bangkok Rider
Bangkok Rider

Post by alx123 »

mine also almost dry when i checked 1 year after i bought it. Probably it's normal due to heat, coolant evaporates.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

alx123 wrote:mine also almost dry when i checked 1 year after i bought it. Probably it's normal due to heat, coolant evaporates.
Yea, it might be. Six thousand miles since I topped up the reservoir and the level is still good. My reservoir was pretty much empty.

Gil
ImageImage
  • IRC and City Grip tires, LED driving lights, Coroplast top box, MFR exhaust, Daytona Windshield.
Gil
Frequent Poster
Frequent Poster

Post by Gil »

GeorgeSK wrote:So after following this thread I decided to see for myself how troublesome the issue is. Turns out for me it is a non-issue, because there is NOTHING in the reservoir. I went by the shop and got some coolant this evening, and will investigate probably Wednesday. Could be a cracked reservoir like Mel described - could be the juice has been sucked into the engine - I guess it could be lots of things.

Is it too simple to just add coolant to the reservoir without checking the level at actual radiator cap?
You could check the level in the radiator then top it up?

Gil
ImageImage
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor

Post by springer1 »

Well, yours was dry so I'd keep an eye on the reservoir and see if it goes dry again.

If there's no problem with your coolant system or reservoir or cap - and it was simply due to evaporation/ whatever, then any minimal air in the coolant system should be forced out into the reservoir and bubble up thru the coolant there when the engine gets hot. Then when the engine cools, it should suck back fluid from the reservoir and replenish the system, replacing the previous air with coolant.

If it were me, I'd fill the reservoir to the upper line & keep a watch on its level. After a hot & cold cycle or 2, It may possibly drop a bit since you were dry and the reservoir replenishes any missing coolant in the the system.

But if goes dry again or if the over temp warning light comes on, I'd suspect a leak somewhere. If it doesn't and all continues to look normal, just keep the proper level in the reservoir and keep an eye on it. Change the fluid per the normal maintenance schedule.
iceman
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2014 125 (LED)

Post by iceman »

I believe Homie posted a long time ago about finding the reservoir low level or such and we should check it, I found mine empty and when I tried to fill it the new coolant just dripped straight out onto the floor! I thought there was a leak and took it to the dealer, they found nothing wrong but when I got it back it was full! (never understood that). Not checked it since but often it seems the reservoir is empty for quite a few people. Not how it is supposed to be though - possibly needs some in to stop air getting in as mentioned above.
javierpcxar

Post by javierpcxar »

Hello friends, in my country it is almost impossible to find a JASO MB type oil. Since our vehicle has a dry clutch, with regular 4T oils, we lost the chance to protect it by using anti-friction additives that would make the wet ones skate. In the absence of JASO MB (Molybdenum), someone has been tried Liqui Moly oil treatment (or equivalent) as a supplement to a JASO MA or MA2 oils?. It is a suspension of molybdenum disulfide and the German firm recommends 30ml per liter for dry clutches. What do you think?
I apologize for my English!
Best regards
JohnL
Ozzie Old Fart
Ozzie Old Fart
Year: 2015
Color: Dark Red

Post by JohnL »

I have used Liqui Moly in my scoot since new, and also in my car. i have no proof if it works or not, but fiqure it's a low cost insurance plan.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Ducking my head and waiting for incoming flack. :D :D