First time valve adjustment and plastic removal

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

rvkssl
Year: 2014
Color: Pearl white

First time valve adjustment and plastic removal

Post by rvkssl »

Hi Guy's

My PCX is approaching the 4000 km mark, so according to the owners manual the valve clearances should be checked, i've planned to do this next weekend, technical wise it shouldn't be a problem since i'm an aircraft mechanic, but the thing that worries me is all the plastic you have to remove without trying to damage it. o_O

So my question is, what is your experience on this ?

Another thing is, i'm waiting for the new led model maintenance manual to come out, can anyone share this procedure in the mean time ?

Thanks !
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Re: First time valve adjustment and plastic removal

Post by homie »

Don't forget to subscribe :) You can do it without the service manual if you can read my annotations which you can't see on all devices.

\https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=P ... oyVAcpcIwl
rvkssl

Post by rvkssl »

Thanks Homie,

That is a quite detailed instruction video!

Nice ride b.t.w. ;)
springer1
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2018
Color: white

Post by springer1 »

Yep, Homie's video is seriously super ...... watch the entire thing first before starting out and then just follow it.

As you remove each body panel, maybe want to put its associated hardware in a baggie and label it, makes the reassembly organized with no missed parts.

A cheap set of "Trim Fastener & Molding Removal Tools" helped alot ...... the trip clips Honda uses are easy, they are 2 piece with a sleeve and an inner plunger that expands it. To remove, just push in the inner plunger which relieves the sleeve's expansion and it the whole clip then just lifts right out. To replace, push the plunger back up so it protrudes out of the sleeve, insert the sleeve completely in the hole and then push the plunger down level.

If you don't have a tappet wrench small enough to fit the tappet's tiny square tip, just use one of those $2 mini vice grips they sell at Auto Parts stores to hold it steady as you tighten the lock nut.
Mel46
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: 2013
Color: red PCX

Post by Mel46 »

Honda is finally using those trip clips, like the one on the battery compartment, to hold the panels on?? Great!! On the 2013 model we have a lot of breakable clips that you really have to be careful with when removing a panel. My Burgman 400, on the other hand, had those trip clips and some screws. It was much easier for me to work on.
I also noticed that the battery compartment door on the newer pcx is larger. I like that as well.
That doesn't mean that I don't love my little 2013 model. I do. The PCX is a great little scooter.
Currently own:
Red 2013 Honda PCX150

Givi tall windshield & tailbox - Lots of extra lights
Custom seat from Thailand - Bad Boy Airhorn
Takegawa Lowering Shocks - Michelin City Grip Tires
Headlight assy upgraded to LEDs w/HS5 main bulbs
NCY variator, drive face, and rollers
rvkssl

Post by rvkssl »

Just finished valve clearance check with the help of Homies youtube video, the inlet valve was spot on, the exhaust a little adjustment, broke 1 clip and a tiny tab but that's o.k
Ready for the next 4000 km ! :D

Thanks again Homie.
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (97.98 KiB) Viewed 489 times
homie
Prestige
Prestige
Year: 2015 PCX150
Color: Pearl White

Post by homie »

Good job!

Let me guess 'grab rail cover' there are 2 tiny tabs, one on each side and you don't expect them to be there, did the same thing. Good news is those have no effect on the cover fit up or panel vibrations. I'm wedging it apart in this picture to show it but it will ride tight without it.. you won't miss it at all.

It's good work if you can do it, you join the Prestige club 8) The white is nice
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (68.45 KiB) Viewed 489 times