2015/150 clutch/cvt replacement at 40,000 kilo/25,000 mile?

Having trouble? Need more info on something mechanical? Ask here!

Moderator: Modsquad

pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User
Year: 2015
Color: White

2015/150 clutch/cvt replacement at 40,000 kilo/25,000 mile?

Post by pxc-in-japan »

CVT taken apart every 10,000 kilometres / 6200 miles for inspection, cleaning, etc.
Belt/rollers replaced routinely at 20,000 kilo's.
Just done 40,000 kilo's inspection.
(By-the-way - I have replaced both clutch bearings twice at this point, last time a 31,500 kilo's.)
Visible wear (scoring in line with rotation on interior of bell housing (called 'clutch outer' in manual).
No visible equivalent scoring on clutch plate surfaces (called 'clutch weights' in manual).
They clearly have less 'pad' (contact surface material) than new, though.
Acceleration from zero does seem less than it should be by just a little.
Fuel economy still around long term average of 47 kilometres/litre (110 US gallon / 132 UK gallon)

Question: Is it time to replace the enirety of the CVT interal parts (obviously excluding the final drive gear components)?

Both pulley sets* / belt / rollers / entire clutch sub-assembly inc spring and backingplates etc.
* obviously including the 'torque' assembly.

I have searched for, but cannot find, a rule-of-thumb mileage at which riders reccommend this be done.

I am willing to disassemble right down to individual components to avoid being wasteful and dumping usable parts).
But... *IF* and *ONLY IF* it is extremely unlikely that the parts not changed will cause no issues.
For example: I am happy to disassemble the clutch, replacing the weights ('pads'), spring, circlips and rubber grommets etc. and re-use the body (backing plate etc).

If that is not ideal - for some mechanical rather than economic reason - I will replace the entirety of the CVT unit.

Local Honda mech' says he cannot order parts as a kit thereby reducing cost.
I want genuine Honda parts.
Cannot find full or even partial kit of those online (Japanese sites) and do not want to pay for overseas shipping.

Thank you.
I may have missed a crucial question and sorry this post is a bit long.
http://www.fuelly.com/motorcycle/honda/pcx150/2015/staninjapan/408151]Image
you you
What's a wot?
What's a wot?

Re: 2015/150 clutch/cvt replacement at 40,000 kilo/25,000 mi

Post by you you »

pxc-in-japan wrote:CVT taken apart every 10,000 kilometres / 6200 miles for inspection, cleaning, etc.
Belt/rollers replaced routinely at 20,000 kilo's.
Just done 40,000 kilo's inspection.
(By-the-way - I have replaced both clutch bearings twice at this point, last time a 31,500 kilo's.)
Visible wear (scoring in line with rotation on interior of bell housing (called 'clutch outer' in manual).
No visible equivalent scoring on clutch plate surfaces (called 'clutch weights' in manual).
They clearly have less 'pad' (contact surface material) than new, though.
Acceleration from zero does seem less than it should be by just a little.
Fuel economy still around long term average of 47 kilometres/litre (110 US gallon / 132 UK gallon)

Question: Is it time to replace the enirety of the CVT interal parts (obviously excluding the final drive gear components)?

Both pulley sets* / belt / rollers / entire clutch sub-assembly inc spring and backingplates etc.
* obviously including the 'torque' assembly.

I have searched for, but cannot find, a rule-of-thumb mileage at which riders reccommend this be done.

I am willing to disassemble right down to individual components to avoid being wasteful and dumping usable parts).
But... *IF* and *ONLY IF* it is extremely unlikely that the parts not changed will cause no issues.
For example: I am happy to disassemble the clutch, replacing the weights ('pads'), spring, circlips and rubber grommets etc. and re-use the body (backing plate etc).

If that is not ideal - for some mechanical rather than economic reason - I will replace the entirety of the CVT unit.

Local Honda mech' says he cannot order parts as a kit thereby reducing cost.
I want genuine Honda parts.
Cannot find full or even partial kit of those online (Japanese sites) and do not want to pay for overseas shipping.

Thank you.
I may have missed a crucial question and sorry this post is a bit long.
Just to be sure replace everything twice... :roll:
gn2
Forum Benefactor
Forum Benefactor
Year: None

Post by gn2 »

No need to replace anything in the clutch unless its worn beyond the service limit.
Which should be detailed in the service manual.

At 25,000 miles it'll all be fine unless its been seriously abused.
But its your money.....
Better buy a whole brand new scooter just to be sure. :D
Four decades on two wheels has taught me nothing, all advice given is guaranteed to be wrong
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

gn2 wrote:No need to replace anything in the clutch unless its worn beyond the service limit.
Which should be detailed in the service manual.

At 25,000 miles it'll all be fine unless its been seriously abused.
But its your money.....
Better buy a whole brand new scooter just to be sure. :D
Not abused at all.
Mine from 4,400 kilos / 3,000 miles.
Serviced frequently, used for work and back.
Wear is as detailed very briefly above.

I shall just buy another two scotters, just in case... :)
pxc-in-japan
Regular User
Regular User

Post by pxc-in-japan »

After another chat with the mechanic, I now know about another assembly that I need to break-down at this mileage in addition to what I have been doing every 10,000 kilos.

After breaking down rear pulleys/clutch assembly as usual... Remove clutch weights (pads) from their pins on the backing plate and inspect the pins on the plate for abbrasion/the plate itself for any distortion in shape/warping.
Damn, now I need circlip pliers. It's a new tool every time I do the job!
The quote for for entire parts list is 53,000 yen (about 530 US dollars).
And that's after the guy said 'Honda's parts are not as good as they used to be 10 or 20 years ago as they're made too cheaply.'
Sh1t.

EDIT...
So I shall break it all down completely and not replace anything that is not obviously worn etc.
Marko

Post by Marko »

Don't over service it, do it at the service intervals recommended in the manual that came with the scoot. Honda does know what they are talking about when setting these intervals!
Ex.Honda PCX 125, (Red 2012) Now PCX 150 (2015 Grey). Honda VFR V-TEC, Quadzilla (SMC) 300 XLC (quad bike), Yamaha YFM 350 Raptor Quad